SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure many have seen the software upgrade the Tesla released that upgrades even it's older Model S's to have a new "Auto Pilot" feature. It's cool that they provided this not just for their new Model X but the older cars as well. It gives one hope that, should Volvo chose to, how much they could enhance their Pilot Assist feature with software later.

From the videos, it's pretty amazing how much the Tesla Auto Pilot does, especially coming off the Pilot Assist I have used. The Tesla version works from 0 PHM to highway speeds. It can see traffic lights and auto-stop even if there is no car in front of you (a feature I would love to see in ACC in general). And, most amazing, it will change lanes to avoid traffic for you. I watched it demoed in the neighborhood of my office and when it saw that there was an opening in the lane to tight left of the one it was in, it self signaled and executed the lane change. No prompting, no touching.

Anyway, the purpose isn't to start a flame war about Volvo vs. Telsa, but to share the level of automation possible and what's to come for the rest of us eventually.

·
Registered
16,049 Posts
I do not believe the Tesla will currently change lanes for you. I think you have to signal, or something manual. But I am basing this on my recollection from reading today, and I could be wrong.

Still, very nifty. Tesla is pushing the envelope. I continue to believe that autonomous driving will be here faster than most of us (here) think.

·
Registered
344 Posts
With a Tesla, you are going to have alot of OTA updates so the amount of progress Tesla makes will be realized by owners minute by minute. With the Volvo assist, its gonna be a final product dump in 2020, which either will be retrofitted via software to the xc90 or launched with the next generation of the xc90.

·
Registered
16,049 Posts
Yeah, you may be right. I re-watched a video shot and it looks like they were using clever editing to make it seem like it did...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yCAZWdqX_Y
Ahh, that's the problem. You learned about this via video, whereas I learned about it by reading an article.

Regardless, very cool, and I'm glad to see the car companies trying to out-do eachother. My fear (not that I am alone) is that the companies will push this into the market before it's really "ready." But we will see.

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
The most interesting are the comments - so many people immediately classify it as driver's error, and even suggest to the OP to shut up and remove the video from the YouTube as it could confuse other people about the wonderful Tesla. If something like that will be suggested here, that person would be crucified and labeled as a Volvo corporate shill...

Edit. And sure enough the post was removed...go Tesla...

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Tesla is a small organization and can move fast. Musk has perhaps got the Steve Jobs touch, well about 10% of it. Right now I would not buy a Tesla; I read a review of a guy driving from LA to San Fransisco and it took 12 hours one was and 16 hours back. He went to a charging station is it was broke and barely made it to a station that worked. Until the infrastructure is there where going between LA and San Fran is easy and quick, Tesla is dead to me -- they need to put in a small gas engine. However, I think in 5 years the Tesla cost, range and infrastructure will be there and all electric will be a no-brainer, and Tesla, if still in business, will be best positioned for world domination. I had some Tesla stock but sold it since they keep delaying products -- don't announce a product and a time line if you don't mean it, so its hard to believe what Must says.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Tesla is a small organization and can move fast. Musk has perhaps got the Steve Jobs touch, well about 10% of it. Right now I would not buy a Tesla; I read a review of a guy driving from LA to San Fransisco and it took 12 hours one was and 16 hours back. He went to a charging station is it was broke and barely made it to a station that worked. Until the infrastructure is there where going between LA and San Fran is easy and quick, Tesla is dead to me -- they need to put in a small gas engine. However, I think in 5 years the Tesla cost, range and infrastructure will be there and all electric will be a no-brainer, and Tesla, if still in business, will be best positioned for world domination. I had some Tesla stock but sold it since they keep delaying products -- don't announce a product and a time line if you don't mean it, so its hard to believe what Must says.
I agree. But Volvo will have an all electric car in 2019, with maybe a few surprises. Until then, I think I'll still only consider a T8 XC90 hybrid. The infrastructure, range, and charging time isn't there for me yet. Not to mention price.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Yeah, you may be right. I re-watched a video shot and it looks like they were using clever editing to make it seem like it did...

Ahh, that's the problem. You learned about this via video, whereas I learned about it by reading an article.

Regardless, very cool, and I'm glad to see the car companies trying to out-do eachother. My fear (not that I am alone) is that the companies will push this into the market before it's really "ready." But we will see.
To change lanes in the Model S you flick the turn signal and it executes the turn(lane change/pass) for you. This is still phase 1 which is considered "beta". Future version will do it without any intervention.

·
Registered
16,049 Posts
To change lanes in the Model S you flick the turn signal and it executes the turn(lane change/pass) for you. This is still phase 1 which is considered "beta". Future version will do it without any intervention.
thanks. My recollection is, that is how the Volvo system works. (signal and it then considers the lane change)

It will be interesting to see how the algorithms work, re lane changing, for example. A human might not want a lane change, but the computer might think it's better. I wonder if the autonomous cars will be lane-changing maniacs, or if they will tend to stick in the same lane. It will be simpler once most cars can communicate with one another, but until then the autonomous cars will need to predict many of the other car's behavior to determine if a lane change "makes sense."

Today, two humans might approach the same situation quite differently. If I have an exit coming up in a mile, I might move to the right-hand lane now, whereas you might wait until you only had a 1/4-mile until the exit before you started moving to the right. Both rational behaviors, but different.

·
Banned
763 Posts

It's infantile that they attempted to make it seem as if the vehicle independently decided to switch lanes. It's already technology no one else on the road has; why lie to make it look even more impressive than it already is?

·
Banned
763 Posts
I'm sure many have seen the software upgrade the Tesla released that upgrades even it's older Model S's to have a new "Auto Pilot" feature. It's cool that they provided this not just for their new Model X but the older cars as well. It gives one hope that, should Volvo chose to, how much they could enhance their Pilot Assist feature with software later.

From the videos, it's pretty amazing how much the Tesla Auto Pilot does, especially coming off the Pilot Assist I have used. The Tesla version works from 0 PHM to highway speeds. It can see traffic lights and auto-stop even if there is no car in front of you (a feature I would love to see in ACC in general). And, most amazing, it will change lanes to avoid traffic for you. I watched it demoed in the neighborhood of my office and when it saw that there was an opening in the lane to tight left of the one it was in, it self signaled and executed the lane change. No prompting, no touching.

Anyway, the purpose isn't to start a flame war about Volvo vs. Telsa, but to share the level of automation possible and what's to come for the rest of us eventually.
Yes, but when? Definitely not as quickly as Telsa, but perhaps more quickly than, say, Hyundai?

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
It's infantile that they attempted to make it seem as if the vehicle independently decided to switch lanes. It's already technology no one else on the road has; why lie to make it look even more impressive than it already is?
First of all, let's be clear who "they" are. This is not a Tesla video. This is a video by the blog Jalopnik. The video is also not edited. The angle just doesn't catch his arm hitting the turn signal. You can clearly hear the turn signal going on.

·
Banned
763 Posts
First of all, let's be clear who "they" are. This is not a Tesla video. This is a video by the blog Jalopnik. The video is also not edited. The angle just doesn't catch his arm hitting the turn signal. You can clearly hear the turn signal going on.
Yes, I was referring to Jalopnik, not Tesla. And the video is definitely edited in a manipulative way; the cut to the "Oh my gosh it's changing lanes on its own" comment at 1:03 starts right *after* the lane change began, and the camera angle chosen was one that didn't show him clicking the turn signal. Neither of these were accidental edits; there was no reason for the clip to begin after instead of before the lane change, and no reason for the chosen angle to be the one that didn't show the left portion of the steering wheel. Well, besides wanting to provide the impression that the car decided to change lanes without any driver input, which was supported by the moronic commentary.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Yes, I was referring to Jalopnik, not Tesla. And the video is definitely edited in a manipulative way; the cut to the "Oh my gosh it's changing lanes on its own" comment at 1:03 starts right *after* the lane change began, and the camera angle chosen was one that didn't show him clicking the turn signal. Neither of these were accidental edits; there was no reason for the clip to begin after instead of before the lane change, and no reason for the chosen angle to be the one that didn't show the left portion of the steering wheel. Well, besides wanting to provide the impression that the car decided to change lanes without any driver input, which was supported by the moronic commentary.
I think you are giving them way too much credit. They just started doing videos a few months ago and barely anything they do is intentional. Mike Ballaban who is the one "driving" is overly animated in all of his videos. He really annoys me in the Polestar one. They are getting better, but they still have a long way to go.

·
Banned
763 Posts
I think you are giving them way too much credit. They just started doing videos a few months ago and barely anything they do is intentional. Mike Ballaban who is the one "driving" is overly animated in all of his videos. He really annoys me in the Polestar one. They are getting better, but they still have a long way to go.
Ah, I didn't know that. They do say never attribute to malice what can be attributed to stupidity. Fair enough. And yes, the technology is amazing.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
While auto lane changing is cool and intriguing, it really defeated the purpose of auto pilot when it has to be initiated by a turn signal. I bet the sensor in Volvo has enough resolution and capability to do such a maneuver, but Volvo didn't implement that because they (correctly) think that it does not add to the experience.

·
Registered
295 Posts
While auto lane changing is cool and intriguing, it really defeated the purpose of auto pilot when it has to be initiated by a turn signal.
That's a little over the top. There are plenty of reasons why you'd prefer staying in your lane, and something as effortless as tapping on the stock is hardly demanding of the driver. As someone who has been taking advantage of Volvo's auto systems on a daily basis, I'm incredibly jealous of how next-gen Tesla's implementation has been.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts