SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
That concept looks incredible. I've always liked the 850/S70/S60, but it is difficult to make a true S4/M3 competitor with a FWD platform. Looks like this problem is solved with the Haldex AWD system.<P>Any idea when this car will go into production, and the anticipated cost?

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
The PCC is probably a good look at what the S60 R will eventually be. Haldex will be used on all awd Volvos by 2002 most likely. <P>This engine isn't too far off the mark from what Volvo is capable of production-wise so it could stick.<P>Volvo's also got an Ohlins suspension that they make for fwd S70s and 850s. They worked together on the BTCC endeavour. That also could be a possibility.<P>George

·
Registered
2 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>The electronically controlled AWD system is characterized by extremely rapid engagement and disengagement.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I'm confused.<BR>They got the four-W-D system from Haldex. That means it's a probable a VC (Viscous Coupling). A VC is a 4WD system, unlike an AWD system. The quote from the article also refers to the four-wheel-drive system as being a mostly-FWD-4WD (like the TTq). Yet the article says it's an AWD system.<BR>If I'm not mistaken the S60 hasn't got a lengthwise engine placement, which makes VC the only possible option.<BR>Of course a Haldex VC can be used 50/50 permanently. But it would still be classified as a 4WD, not an AWD. <BR>As I said; I'm confused.<P>I remember an article about ABC, that said Volvo was the first to experiment with this technology. They used aeroplane parts on their concept car. The car would roll over in a bend, just like you would on your bike. But the system was noisy and consumed too much energy. The project was stopped. <BR>In '98-'99 MB was the first to offer ABC, the CL was the lucky model.<BR>Rumours have it that the next E-class ('02), the next A6 ('03), and the VW D1 (sept '01, IAA Frankfurt) will offer this technology.<BR>Personally, I think will too expensive for Volvo to use it on an S60. Price will be it's biggest (only?) advantage over the AWD S4 and RWD BMW. I myself wouldn't buy the Volvo PCC, unless it would save me allot of money.<BR>

·
Registered
3 Posts
After owning two Volvos an 850T and currently<BR>a S80 T-6 this concept looks promising, but I<BR>think it will be to little to late. Next year<BR>I am going to be looking at the Audi S4 and the A6 2.7T, after driving both back to back against the S60 T-5 there is no comparison.<BR>The Quattro system is about as good as it gets I will be amazed if Volvo is able do better with the Haldex system their current system is very bad. Maybe in 5-7 years Volvo<BR>will be at the piont where I might consider them again.

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Ironically, the Haldex system is the quattro system (at least in cases of transverse engines like the Audi TT and A3/S3).<P>The Haldex system is a hydraulic clutch system that is computer controlled. It also works transversely like the VC but is different. <P>The VW Group just recently replaced their own VC system (called Syncro on VWs) with the Haldex system. It is used on all A-chassis awds like the TT quattro and the Golf 4Motion in Europe as well as Skoda Octavia 4X4 models.<P>We've got one of our writers working on a tech piece on Haldex now. He'll be comparing it to the VC, but for grins, we probably ought to compare it to the Torsen system utilized by the longitudinally mounted Audis, which is the traditional quattro system.

·
Registered
9 Posts
um what is this M3 comp, ive never heard of such a thing? am i that far behind, is it a new BMW computer?<BR>and to add on to my stupid babble that is such a sweet car. I would buy one if they were around and i had the money, but then again if i had the money i might own a car...<P>

1 - 11 of 11 Posts