SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am at the airport in Copenhagen, waiting to head back to BOS. I just spent one of the best trips of my life. Preface this by sharing, I have lived on two Caribbean islands, have two passports (US/Irish) and have been around. Volvo has created the most wonderful experience. I was treated like royalty from arrival to departure. The girls at Volvo were so helpful and kind. Wonderful Erik and Emile were our two hosts for arrival and check out. The facilities are modern and bright. You are greeted warmly and start off with coffee and Swedish buns. The tour was fun and informative. Initiation to your car is nothing short of amazing. Seeing Emile drive her into the studio brought tears to my eyes. Our return was just as wonderful. We were welcomed back like family. Erik took care of my return including the purchase of a mat set and trailer hitch. It was sad to bid farewell to my girl but I hope to see her again, Aug. 22.

The limo drivers were wonderful. As shared, Clarion Post was a let down. I do want to share, their breakfast is totally amazing. Dinner at Norda, a complete disappointment. On our return night, we stayed at The Avalon, part of this group of hotels and loved it. It was a world of difference.

Our OSD was so amazing, my boyfriend is exploring options to buy his own Volvo if he can get a stick diesel.

LOVE Volvo.

I don't know how to post photos but have two public profiles in Instagram

IG
Caribchakita
Blissfilledtravel

Cheers

Annie

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Glad you enjoyed!

If you use the Tap-A-Talk app on a phone posting photos is very easy.

- A fellow Masshole

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Great pic's on IG

·
Registered
430 Posts
Thnx for sharing. I have October date for the OSD. Sadly I do not think the diesel stick will be coming to the us market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
439 Posts
Glad you had a great OSD. We did one last year and had a fantastic time.

I do agree with you about Norda. The only thing that was meh at the Clarion Post was the dinner at Norda. It was the least memorable meal we had in Sweden. It was just ok, but nothing worth going back for.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Hi all,

I am at the airport in Copenhagen, waiting to head back to BOS. I just spent one of the best trips of my life. Preface this by sharing, I have lived on two Caribbean islands, have two passports (US/Irish) and have been around. Volvo has created the most wonderful experience. I was treated like royalty from arrival to departure. The girls at Volvo were so helpful and kind. Wonderful Erik and Emile were our two hosts for arrival and check out. The facilities are modern and bright. You are greeted warmly and start off with coffee and Swedish buns. The tour was fun and informative. Initiation to your car is nothing short of amazing. Seeing Emile drive her into the studio brought tears to my eyes. Our return was just as wonderful. We were welcomed back like family. Erik took care of my return including the purchase of a mat set and trailer hitch. It was sad to bid farewell to my girl but I hope to see her again, Aug. 22.

The limo drivers were wonderful. As shared, Clarion Post was a let down. I do want to share, their breakfast is totally amazing. Dinner at Norda, a complete disappointment. On our return night, we stayed at The Avalon, part of this group of hotels and loved it. It was a world of difference.

Our OSD was so amazing, my boyfriend is exploring options to buy his own Volvo if he can get a stick diesel.

LOVE Volvo.

I don't know how to post photos but have two public profiles in Instagram

IG
Caribchakita
Blissfilledtravel

Cheers

Annie
Hi Annie,

Thanks for sharing........OSD is the best!!!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Part three was driving from Gothenburg into the country towards Alingsas. Our goal was to drive the Retro Road and to enjoy Fika in the capital of Fika, Alingsas. Our cottage was super spartan but comfortable. It offered lake views. The parking for our XC 40 was perfect. Safety was always a goal. We didn't arrive until late Saturday so showered and headed to our dinner res at Jernbruket. This culinary gem located in charming Floda was sheer perfection. Anneli and Hans catered to all of our dining needs.Enjoy pub fair outside or sample the multi course menu. Please peruse my IG (caribchakita) to see some of my dining photos. i live on Cape Cod but had THE best oysters of my life at Jernbruket. Swedish oysters are out of this world. Our entire dining experience was astounding. The next day, we took the 190 along the "Retro Road" in search of what we thought would be vintage shops and sites. Unfortunately we didn't find one vintage spot. We did see rolling hills and picturesque sites. Driving our car along this lovely route was enjoyable. We even stopped by a lake for the coldest swim of my life. In Norrebro we found the first open shop. The artist was lovely but shared, sadly, the retro road didn't have many attractions despite a wonderful marketing scheme. We headed to Alingsas to find the place shut down aside from a chain ice cream spot and one cafe. It was a ghost town. Plenty of parking but nothing to see or do. This leg of our trip was super disappointing but the lovely ride redeemed our experience.

One other spot I must mention is Garveriet, a co op restaurant bakery. The food here is divine and the coffee and house brewed kombucha, over the top amazing. There are inside and outside dining spots. I gained 5# on the two visits to Garveriet. Floda is a magical little hamlet and worthy of your visit. it is a short 30 minute ride from Gothenberg.

Monday, we found a self serve car wash in Floda and proceeded to figure out the system. Not reading Swedish, even with our translator app, we were stuck. A lovely older gent came over and schooled us on the wash. We had a blast cleaning off the gunk and goo, mostly bug guts, off the car. After it was sufficiently cleaned, we headed back to Gothenburg and arrived at Volvo at 12. Erik was our associate and spent time reviewing the closing paperwork. I ordered a trailer hitch and the cargo and floor mat package. I believe it was 1200 in total. We had a coffee, signed all papers and were taken by our limo ride to The Avalon, our final hotel stay. It was sad to say goodbye to my girl but I am excited for the Aug. 22nd delivery date.

Our final stop was The Avalon, a highly recommended hotel for location, amenities, breakfast and excellent customer care. Plus, the windows open in the rooms. Price was 190 USD per night.

Tue. our ride to the airport was on time and whisked us to our flights. Seth went to BOS on Lufthansa and I took the SAS flight. I did the bidding for business class and was upgraded for 700.00. What a mistake. At the airport, they were offering upgrades for 200 !!! The business section was only half full. Travel on a week day and you may luck out. Sadly, our flight was seriously delayed due to mechanical challenges. I won't dwell on this too much as the rest of our trip was amazing.

Overall, I loved the entire OSD experience and highly recommend. I have lots of dining and hotel reviews on Yelp for your enjoyment. My profile is Ann P. Do check out my two IG's : caribchakita and blissfilledtravel

That's it for now. I know this reads more like a travel log and will have a separate section for the XC 40 experience, later.

Cheers

http://retrovagen.se/

https://www.vastsverige.com/en/alingsas/thecapitaloffika/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts