SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

About to be the proud owner of a Silver V60 T5 "Special Edition" out here in Thailand (see pics for the Silver, it's beautiful). My first Volvo.. Volvo of Thailand does not offer a lot of the same options you find in other countries, like the USA. The V60 for instance has 2 options, both FWD (XC90 is the only AWD option in Thailand). The V60 T5 or T4F. The T4F is supposed to be a Ford Engine that used to have a fuel injection issue? Well aware of the new T5 engine. The special edition is the only option for the T5, 32 available in Thailand this year, it comes with nearly every option available including Polestar, sport seats, and 18 inch rims. I have priced a V60 out in the USA with the same options, and it comes to around 50,000. It's 72,000US here :( Crazy huh?

The one thing that is not available in Thailand that really interests me is Volvo on Call, and not for the call center which wouldn't be possible here without the infrastructure to support it. I want to be able to use the app to remotely control my car, and setup a hot spot. The car comes with Sensus Connect and was shipped to Thailand in October of 2015, so hoping it is the latest version.. The dealer says it comes with Harman Kardon sound system, and based on the reading here that sounds like the 2015.5 edition.

Anyone have any experience with this? Feel like it could be pretty easy but that it is probably a lot more complicated than I think and could also screw up a brand new car. Have to consider not just the Sim Holder, but how that connects to the head unit, and if I have the right antenna to support it. It's just an idea at this point..

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I found a lot of the parts, just wondering how possible the install will be. Wondering if I will need a separate antenna for the 3G connection,or will it use an antenna that is already installed for other purposes like GPS, Stereo.

This will work if my head unit is the same head unit used in other countries, and has the connection port. Hope the software will read the installed SIM port and activate the possible connection in Sensus.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
You will almost certainly need software and since your car did not come with the equipment, and if Volvo does not offer this as a dealer installed accessory, VIDA might not allow the software to be installed even if you add all the missing pieces.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats what I was afraid of, not sure this is a mountain worth climbing. I have asked Volvo Thailand to see if I can buy this as an option.. know that would be the best path. Car connects to the internet thru a hotspot from my mobile. I can also get a small hotspot that connects to any of the power ports inside the car (trunk for example). So it's not critical, just wish I could use the app to remote start and check out the car. Thanks for the feedback ecoDrive

1 - 4 of 4 Posts