SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else have any problems with the Volvo On Call Apple Watch App? The app on my iPhone works flawlessly but this is all I ever get on my Apple Watch.

I’m signed into the app, and it’s running and open on my iPhone. I’ve tried signing out & back in. Deleted apps and reinstalled. Still doesn’t work.

I’ll try calling tech support next but figured I’d ask anyway.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
For starters, my Apple Watch 3 VOC and iPhone X both work flawlessly for me. I am running iOS 12.4 and watchOS 5.3.

My Apple Watch 3 has active cellular which might matter or not to if you are trying to use your Watch beyond the reach of a common WiFi or Bluetooth.

[Update:
I tested my AppleWatch today with
1) my iPhone on and nearby my Apple Watch with Bluetooth paired and connected; and connected to my home home WiFi;
2) my iPhone OFF with my Apple Watch on connected to my WiFi; and
3) my iPhone OFF with my Apple Watch disconnected from any WiFi but my cellular data service on on my Watch.

In all three scenarios, I verified that my VOC on the Watch worked fine on my Volvo and performed the tasks requested.

Oh and in all cases I had at least 3G Cellular coverage and connection.]

I have seen that message before early on but I do not recall the circumstances. I have not seen it for a couple of years and I think I had the original Apple Watch Gen. 1 at the time - I.e., no cellular data on Watch.

You could get baselined to eliminate variables and unknowns, such as:
1. Is your watch on Airplane mode? Shut if off of on.
2. Is Bluetooth on and paired between your iPhone and watch?
3. Is WIFi on and connected with respect to your iPhone and watch?
4. Do you have the latest VOC app v4.6.4 on your iPhone? A new version just came out a couple of days ago.
5. Try deleting the VOC app and reinstalling it on both your iPhone and watch.
6. You might want the VOC app running in the background at least initially on both the iPhone and Watch (Background App Refresh).
7. Log into the VOC app on your iPhone first and then activate your watch.
8. Setup security (and facial ID) if you have it.
9. Give it another try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For starters, my Apple Watch 3 VOC and iPhone X both work flawlessly for me. I am running iOS 12.4 and watchOS 5.3. I have seen that message before early on but I do not recall the circumstances. I have not seen it for a couple of years and I think I had the original Apple Watch Gen. 1.

My Apple Watch 3 has active cellular which might matter or not to if you are trying to use your Watch beyond the reach of a common WiFi or Bluetooth.

Anyway, maybe getting baselined will help with debugging and setup if you wish.
1. Is your watch on Airplane mode? Shut if off of on.
2. Is Bluetooth on and paired between your iPhone and watch?
3. Is WIFi on and connected with respect to your iPhone and watch?
4. Do you have the latest VOC app v4.6.4 on your iPhone? A new version just came out a couple of days ago.
5. Try deleting the VOC app and reinstalling it on both your iPhone and watch.
6. You might want the VOC app running in the background at least initially on both the iPhone and Watch (Background App Refresh).
7. Log into the VOC app on your iPhone first and then activate your watch.
8. Setup security (and facial ID) if you have it.
9. Give it another try.

Thanks Wayne.
1. Not in airplane mode
2. Watch and iPhone are communicating.
3. Wifi is active and working
4. Yes.
5. Did that already. No help.
6. Background refresh is already enabled.
7. Did that already. No help.
8. I use full Apple security
9. I try everyday.

I shot an email to the Volvo On Call mobile apps team. I’ll call care on Monday.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm probably not going to help with this, but has it ever worked for you on the Apple Watch?
Yes it used to work, but then stopped.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yes it used to work, but then stopped.
If you have a backup with the old version that worked on it, you could try to restore to that. I'm not sure if it's worth that level of effort to validate that Volvo's team actually broke the functionality though.

Their release notes are pretty useless, but the upside is it does receive regular updates.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does anyone else have any problems with the Volvo On Call Apple Watch App? The app on my iPhone works flawlessly but this is all I ever get on my Apple Watch.

I’m signed into the app, and it’s running and open on my iPhone. I’ve tried signing out & back in. Deleted apps and reinstalled. Still doesn’t work.

I’ll try calling tech support next but figured I’d ask anyway.

Looks like youre using the IOS 13 beta. You will need to downgrade back to IOS 12

·
Registered
3,644 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I called Owner Support today.

I explained the problem I'm having and the woman on the other end of the phone told me that she only supports the iPhone app, and can't assist me in troubleshooting the watch app. I asked her for the support number to troubleshoot this and she told me there isn't one. I told her that I expect VCNA to troubleshoot this, if there's no other support available, or to connect me with someone from the VOC app team.

We then went through the dance of signing out of the iPhone app, and signing back in, which of course didn't work again. She said she was going to "escalate this" but didn't give me any ticket number. I asked what was a reasonable timeframe to get a call back and she wouldn't answer.

I'll give this until next week, but I really want to get this working again. Help.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I’m having this issue also, but I’m running iOS 13/WatchOS 6 and assume it’s that.... once you get on the beta channel, living with broken apps is part of the deal.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Dupe

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
The last option that I know of is to
1. Remove the Volvo ID app from Sensus and re-install it and log in).
2. Remove the VOC app from your iPhone, re-Boot both your iPhone and Apple Watch..
3. Reinstall the VOC app and log into VOC app on your iPhone and go to settings to turn on Refresh app.
4. Verify the basic functionalities work on your VOC app with your car.
5. Set up your VOC app on your Apple Watch via the Apple Watch app on your iPhone.
6. Verify that WiFi, Bluetooth and Cellular (if you have it) are turned on.
7. Cross your fingers and unlock your iPhone (just because).
8. Access VOC via your Apple Watch and see if it works.
9. If it works, Then you may want to shut off WiFi to verify that it still works
10. If it still works and you have cellular on your watch, then shut off your iPhone.

I had a similar issue the other day after I updated my iOS. My watch wanted me to unlock my iPhone and log back into VOC. Thereafter, it worked.

Otherwise, you may have to make a call to Apple.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Welp, I got it running. I decided to try a reset/reload on my Apple Watch, since there is very low risk.. Once it restored it's self, I set it up as a "new" Apple Watch instead of restoring the last backup out of iCloud.

Thankfully, I won't have to take my phone out of my pocket to cool off the car. #FirstWorldProblems

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Welp, I got it running. I decided to try a reset/reload on my Apple Watch, since there is very low risk.. Once it restored it's self, I set it up as a "new" Apple Watch instead of restoring the last backup out of iCloud.

Thankfully, I won't have to take my phone out of my pocket to cool off the car. #FirstWorldProblems
+1. Glad to hear that it is resolved. Hard to say where the gremlin was but likely on the Apple side.

·
Registered
12 Posts
One brief suggestion: un-pair, then re-pair the watch to your phone. Whenever I call Apple Care for tech support for an issue with the watch, this is usually the first troubleshooting step.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts