SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to hear out your experience with the Volvo app.

My experience so far is that I cannot rely on the app, since its behavior varies a lot.

Trying to remote start the engine or the pre-heater, the app freezes while "the blue bar" on the bottom is trying to connect to the car.

Any hints out there to increase the reliability ?

·
Registered
295 Posts
I've had numerous issues with starting the engine or locking the doors. The latter doesn't work like 80% of the time, and the former is fairly reliable but it's very annoying when it doesn't. I'm wondering whether this is a fault in the app, or the signal with the car. Either way I wish there was a far higher success rate with it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
This is a timely question. I think the app is well-designed and has the features that I need. From my experience, however, the app is hampered by the quality of AT&T coverage (I'm in the US).

When my car is parked in an area that I know has good coverage, my VOC app experience is pretty solid. If I'm somewhere with sub-par coverage the app is frequently inaccurate and unreliable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
This is a timely question. I think the app is well-designed and has the features that I need. From my experience, however, the app is hampered by the quality of AT&T coverage (I'm in the US).

When my car is parked in an area that I know has good coverage, my VOC app experience is pretty solid. If I'm somewhere with sub-par coverage the app is frequently inaccurate and unreliable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You're probably right. I'm not having any issues - works great and very intuitive. But if car modem is offline, not going to be great.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I'd say mine works as expected about 95% of the time. It always accurately tells me whether it is unlocked. I can successfully lock it from the app like 95% of the time. It meets or exceeds my expectations given that it relies on a cellular network. That's about equal to my ability todo similar things from my phone with other apps.

·
Registered
415 Posts
No problems . It works all the time but I don't use it a lot. My car is parked in the garage so it's a nice way to monitor if the car is locked or not. Sending destination to the car is a useful function.

Did anybody renew the application after 6 months in US? I need to do it soon.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
The remote start works well, but I've had problems with sending destinations. I have not read the section out of the 500+ manual, but I'm hoping that the "send to car" function doesn't mean you have to physically have the car running and sitting in it. The startup of Sensus and inputting information is the only negative I've experienced.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
The remote start works well, but I've had problems with sending destinations. I have not read the section out of the 500+ manual, but I'm hoping that the "send to car" function doesn't mean you have to physically have the car running and sitting in it. The startup of Sensus and inputting information is the only negative I've experienced.
You can send to car at anytime, occupied or not. When running the car will receive and notify you of a new destination received. A single tap and you're on your way.

·
Registered
415 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is there a way of checking the strength of the signal the car has,i.e its connection to the network?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Is there a way of checking the strength of the signal the car has,i.e its connection to the network?
Just like any phone...there are signal strength bars but you have to be in the car. Mine when the vehicle sits in the garage or driveway shows roughly 2-3 bars. No way from remote if you that is what you were asking.

For me, remote functionality via VOC does work but slow to respond. My suspicion is that it's related to the ATT 3G along with the low signal strength maybe due to the internal antenna.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Just wanted to hear out your experience with the Volvo app.

My experience so far is that I cannot rely on the app, since its behavior varies a lot.

Trying to remote start the engine or the pre-heater, the app freezes while "the blue bar" on the bottom is trying to connect to the car.

Any hints out there to increase the reliability ?
Sorry..what do you mean by 'pre-heater'....? I don't see a way to adjust cabin temps via VOC app. Do you mean just starting up the car to warm it up? Also, curious...how long do you guys set the time for? 5 min?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Sorry..what do you mean by 'pre-heater'....? I don't see a way to adjust cabin temps via VOC app. Do you mean just starting up the car to warm it up? Also, curious...how long do you guys set the time for? 5 min?
The car starts 90% of time, but I noticed that the seat warmers and steering wheel heater icons are not on when the car is started remotely and come on only after "restarting" the car. ( FYI, the butt warmers were left "on" earlier) the heater fan is not going at full speed either, though the temp was set at 68 and it is 30 in the garage!

·
Registered
192 Posts
The car starts 90% of time, but I noticed that the seat warmers and steering wheel heater icons are not on when the car is started remotely and come on only after "restarting" the car. ( FYI, the butt warmers were left "on" earlier) the heater fan is not going at full speed either, though the temp was set at 68 and it is 30 in the garage!
Under your Settings --> Climate --> Make sure Remote Settings for Heated seats (there should be a driver and passenger option) is not OFF.

·
Registered
12 Posts
What's the relationship of the internet and the app? Can you lock the car if you don't continue the att data plan? What about sending a destination to the car? Remote start? Or does everything require an active internet connection (att or tethering)?

·
Registered
240 Posts
What's the relationship of the internet and the app? Can you lock the car if you don't continue the att data plan? What about sending a destination to the car? Remote start? Or does everything require an active internet connection (att or tethering)?
It has nothing to do with AT&T data plan. https://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9170

Sending destination to the car can be done through the internet. http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?271257-Send-destination-to-car-from-the-web

After your 6 months complimentary Volvo On Call Subscription you will have to pay for it and it's not cheap. https://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9172/related/1

·
Registered
12 Posts
It has nothing to do with AT&T data plan. https://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9170

Sending destination to the car can be done through the internet. http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?271257-Send-destination-to-car-from-the-web

After your 6 months complimentary Volvo On Call Subscription you will have to pay for it and it's not cheap. https://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9172/related/1
But will the car receive the information without a data plan or being tethered?

·
Registered
240 Posts
But will the car receive the information without a data plan or being tethered?
I'm pretty sure you'll need internet. Sorry for that, I have misread your post. What's happening to me. :facepalm:

I think for me the app's feature is underwhelming. I wish it has more features like turning on the heated windshield, adjusting the temp, etc. It's slow but the response is quick (depending on the weather). I would have love to have this feature for as long as I have the car but I don't think it's worth the price Volvo is asking for.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts