SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently took my 2016 XC90 car in for a software update, and was told I had to pay for it. I was there for a regular maintenance, and they asked for an additional $125 to update the software. They didn't know what version I was going to get updated too, and didn't actually give me any sort of information my update after it was done.

From everything I've found on the Volvo website, and this forum, it sounds like they ripped me off, as updates are supposed to be free.

Can someone confirm this? The Manhattan dealership is extremely shady about these things, and I'm not all surprised if they are engaging in this sort of pathetic nickle-and-diming.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Bought my XC 60 T8 in Feb...received a letter from Volvo yesterday saying updates were free with servicing, it did have 2 ** by it....so I'm sure there are exceptions....Will take a look when i get home

·
Registered
431 Posts
there are "updates" that are more an "upgrade" (e.g., the PA -> PA2 upgrade) and these are listed in the pricelist as separate items. If they also charge you for the time it takes to plug the car in seems to be left to each dealer (mine doesn't).
The normal updates, and I've had a pretty good number of these since 2015 :D, are free; I've never paid for these.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Well they are wrong.
Right! They are only not free if they are part of a repair that requires an update. Regular maintenance should be free as per Volvo’s complimentary updates program:

http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9218/~/complimentary-software-updates
Software updates apply to all Volvos from model year 2000 onward, with the exception of the Volvo C70 up to model year 2005 and S/V40 up to model year 2003. The complimentary software updates are for enhancements for your car only. Charges apply for new software required as part of a repair or accessory installation.​

https://www.volvocars.com/us/own/owner-info/service-by-volvo - the marketing version of the complimentary updates under Service by Volvo.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Just had my 40K mile service on my MY16 XC90 T8.

Per usual, Complimentary software updates were performed at no extra charge.

BTW, I had a couple of Sensus, VOC remote start and CarPlay anomalies which were covered by the TSU/warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
306 Posts
Just had my 20,000 mile service with several updates. FREE all the way! Fields Volvo in Daytona Florida. And I didn't purchase from them.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Technically they are not free as Volvo charges the dealer $0.01, for them. Just for tracking purposes.

So when a dealer is stating it isn’t free they are basically correct to state so.

When my service adviser told me this after I requested a total upgrade during a routine 10k maintenance and had some connectivity issues with VOC and internet radio (tunIN, pandora and Spotify)

I took out a dollar and handed it over to him and told him “here’s my next updates paid in advance”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
311 Posts
I recently took my 2016 XC90 car in for a software update, and was told I had to pay for it. I was there for a regular maintenance, and they asked for an additional $125 to update the software. They didn't know what version I was going to get updated too, and didn't actually give me any sort of information my update after it was done.

From everything I've found on the Volvo website, and this forum, it sounds like they ripped me off, as updates are supposed to be free.

Can someone confirm this? The Manhattan dealership is extremely shady about these things, and I'm not all surprised if they are engaging in this sort of pathetic nickle-and-diming.
I took My16 there for regular services for the last couple years. They didn't charge me for the software upgrades during the regular maintenance. However, they do charge more than other dealers in surrounding area for the work outside of warranty. The service adviser did ask for my permission and let me know the cost before proceeding the recommended works. I have dealt with couple different advisers there and they are all pretty nice. Maybe you should ask your adviser what the charge for. Or you can contact the dealer manager. They recently updated their system to communicate with customers which you can text the service adviser and ask any questions while your car is in service. I did that and they replied pretty quickly. This is better than calling since their line is always busy and the service adviser may not be available all the time.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts

You got ripped off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
193 Posts

I got 20K service performed at Volvo of Manhattan last month. Software update was free.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Updates for free, upgrades to pay for. Perfectly reasonable.
Even if the OP was charged for upgrades and not for updates,
shoudln't the dealer have asked if he wanted them?

·
Registered
997 Posts
These updates are making me re-think my loyalty towards the brand. Imagine if Apple made you pay for updates. We should expect nothing less than updated software on these expensive cars. At least they got maps right.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
These updates are making me re-think my loyalty towards the brand. Imagine if Apple made you pay for updates. We should expect nothing less than updated software on these expensive cars. At least they got maps right.
They are supposed to be free, if what he is talking about is the Service 2.0 or Total Upgrade.

If he requested the Intellisafe Upgrades then no, those are not free.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Well, Apple charged for OS upgrades for decades.
I agree, bug fixes and such should be free; major upgrades will likely need to be a paid item to incentivize the manufacturer to offer them.

Volvo to date has done a great job of keeping up the work on Sensus. Most manufacturers offer no such regular pattern of updates. Kudos to Volvo.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I was told that the upgrade is not free. I have to tell them something goes wrong and they will apply upgrade for fixing the issue. The issue could be sensus performs slowly, mirrors don't return back to the original position, etc.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
I was told that the upgrade is not free. I have to tell them something goes wrong and they will apply upgrade for fixing the issue. The issue could be sensus performs slowly, mirrors don't return back to the original position, etc.
If you are between maintenance services, yes.

Not sure why this is so confusing.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts