SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Some may not know the chat and email contact for Volvo of America in Rockleigh NJ.

I never call.

I always chat first and get a reference number and the I follow up with emails.

Polite but extremely firm seems to work. They can be defensive and have always asked for the dealer's name. I always tell them my dealer is great and I have never given my dealer's name. You may want to give yours. I don't know what they will do if they have that information.

Volvo Cars Chat 8:30 - 5:00 M - F (Live agent apparently always at the Rockleigh Offices.

http://www.volvocars.com/us/forms/chat

Volvo Customer Care email (Always seems to go to Rockleigh

[email protected]

Phone: 1-800-458-1552

I hope this helps if you've been trying a different approach.

·
Registered
345 Posts
It's possible they want the Dealer name so they can get a Rep for that area involved and get the dealer some support in figuring out issues.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's possible they want the Dealer name so they can get a Rep for that area involved and get the dealer some support in figuring out issues.
That is a possibility, or they may just want to give the dealer grief. I don't know which is more likely.

I think the more people who chat and politely but firmly raise specific issues the more likely to get some movement from Volvo. After all, the intent is not to criticize, but to find a path to better outcomes, which will benefit Volvo. I have always contacted them when something could not be resolved through the dealer, and it was never the dealer's fault.

To the poster about Swedespeed, the joke at my dealer is that half the people here are connected to Volvo in some way, so they certainly know about Swedespeed and posts here can have an impact, but not as much impact as direct communication with Volvo.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Very interesting regarding the comments about them knowing about Swedespeed. We also own a Tesla Model S, and am active on the boards there. Tesla in fact reads the Tesla board, and members have actually been contacted about issues raised on the Tesla board proactively by Tesla to help aid in fixing a problem. It would be interesting to see if this happens here.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I can only tell you how it works from the truck side, Especially if it's a new car under warranty. the dealer more or less just changes parts the troubleshooting is done Volvo NA and anything the dealer does without Volvo permission is on the dealer.

Example. Lets take the battery issue, we know the fix is to replace the battery, and the dealer gets the money back for that battery from Volvo NA.

But lets say the dealer decided to troubleshoot themselves and change the alternator the dealer is on the hook for the price of that alternator because Volvo didn't approve that change. Now lets say they don't know what the problem is and it's a common problem that is popping up more and more. That's when a Volvo rep gets involved he more or less is the direct connection from the dealer to Volvo NA and sort of guides the dealer in a specific case. I know it sounds like allot of red tape but it actually works pretty good. Once again this is on the truck side and Volvo truck and cars have no connection but I know of other car dealers like VW and Audi who do it this way also.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Very interesting regarding the comments about them knowing about Swedespeed. We also own a Tesla Model S, and am active on the boards there. Tesla in fact reads the Tesla board, and members have actually been contacted about issues raised on the Tesla board proactively by Tesla to help aid in fixing a problem. It would be interesting to see if this happens here.
Probably has everything to do with Tesla's stance as a progressive company. I doubt Volvo would do the same.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I can only tell you how it works from the truck side, Especially if it's a new car under warranty. the dealer more or less just changes parts the troubleshooting is done Volvo NA and anything the dealer does without Volvo permission is on the dealer.

Example. Lets take the battery issue, we know the fix is to replace the battery, and the dealer gets the money back for that battery from Volvo NA.

But lets say the dealer decided to troubleshoot themselves and change the alternator the dealer is on the hook for the price of that alternator because Volvo didn't approve that change. Now lets say they don't know what the problem is and it's a common problem that is popping up more and more. That's when a Volvo rep gets involved he more or less is the direct connection from the dealer to Volvo NA and sort of guides the dealer in a specific case. I know it sounds like allot of red tape but it actually works pretty good. Once again this is on the truck side and Volvo truck and cars have no connection but I know of other car dealers like VW and Audi who do it this way also.
I don't think any of the manufacturers that I have owned before this do that same thing- Porsche, BMW, Land Rover or Infiniti. Or, these other manufacturer's have a much more seameless communication process with dealers and so it isn't noticeable. There is markedly more red tape and the dealers seem much more handcuffed, and things do not happen nearly as quickly because of the approval that they must get. It is noticeable and I am unimpressed.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I don't think any of the manufacturers that I have owned before this do that same thing- Porsche, BMW, Land Rover or Infiniti. Or, these other manufacturer's have a much more seameless communication process with dealers and so it isn't noticeable. There is markedly more red tape and the dealers seem much more handcuffed, and things do not happen nearly as quickly because of the approval that they must get. It is noticeable and I am unimpressed.
Or, it may be that Volvo dealers were making bad and costly decisions trying to troubleshoot problems and the mother ship felt that it was better to have more direct control. For example, there are plenty of complaints about the new Sensus bugs but there's nothing at all that can be done to fix these software issues at the dealer level other than installing updates when they are made available. And, reporting on what exactly the problem is can be very inconsistent if it is based only on customer and even tech's impressions. In the world of software the apparent problem and the real problem can be worlds apart. Even for mechanical issues I think that Volvo's policy of making continuous incremental changes rather than queuing things up for the next model year means that the closer the troubleshooting process is to the engineering and production organization the better the outcome will be. Of course it seems to require repeated trips to the dealer or an extended stay for the vehicle, but it does seem to work as the many cases documented on this forum illustrate. The dealer's role is to communicate all this to the customer and this is where many seem to come up short.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Or, it may be that Volvo dealers were making bad and costly decisions trying to troubleshoot problems and the mother ship felt that it was better to have more direct control. For example, there are plenty of complaints about the new Sensus bugs but there's nothing at all that can be done to fix these software issues at the dealer level other than installing updates when they are made available. And, reporting on what exactly the problem is can be very inconsistent if it is based only on customer and even tech's impressions. In the world of software the apparent problem and the real problem can be worlds apart. Even for mechanical issues I think that Volvo's policy of making continuous incremental changes rather than queuing things up for the next model year means that the closer the troubleshooting process is to the engineering and production organization the better the outcome will be. Of course it seems to require repeated trips to the dealer or an extended stay for the vehicle, but it does seem to work as the many cases documented on this forum illustrate. The dealer's role is to communicate all this to the customer and this is where many seem to come up short.
Oh I agree, the dealers are not perfect, none of them. I had other issues besides just Sensus and software if you have followed any of my other posts, and I know the service manager at my dealership personally.

They want control, fine, but they are sure making the process more difficult which I'm not so sure how much that benefits them in the end. I probably had a loan or rent car for an extra 4 days because of communication snafu or just plain wait times between dealer and corp.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Somewhat naive suggestion, but an open letter to CEO Håkan Samuelsson wouldn't hurt. It is very easy for a large corporation to "forget" some weak areas, they like to postpone change to the very last. It is very unfortunate what some members here had to go thru, from a Swedish perspective it's hard to grasp. We might not have that legal system where one can thru a lawsuit right and left, but we have very strong consumer rights.

·
Registered
345 Posts
It actually happens pretty fast especially if it's a known problem. It's probably done in more dealers now since they want to shut out the local garages and have you come to the dealer.

Not everything has to go through Volvo NA if it throws a fault code they can scan it and the laptop tells them what to change, they change the part clear the code and test drive and it's a done deal. But a unknown problem like the low battery situation probably had to go up the chain, now is seems they have a fix so instead of wasting time testing alternators and fuses, they know now to just swap the battery, so now when the laptop sees the symptoms of the low battery problem it tell the mechanic to swap the battery where as before it had them test alternators and such.

Now in an unknown problem it makes it more difficult but once the fix is found it get's to all the dealers very quickly.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Somewhat naive suggestion, but an open letter to CEO Håkan Samuelsson wouldn't hurt. It is very easy for a large corporation to "forget" some weak areas, they like to postpone change to the very last. It is very unfortunate what some members here had to go thru, from a Swedish perspective it's hard to grasp. We might not have that legal system where one can thru a lawsuit right and left, but we have very strong consumer rights.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts........

Interesting to hear a perspective from the Swedish side of things!

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I can't help but wonder if VCNA is on the verge of serious restructuring or shutting down even. From my initial contact with them regarding reserving a first edition, I get this image of three people sitting around an office in jersey with a bad internet connection. And I'm under the impression that dealerships are being told to renovate/rebrand, like theres some directive to step up the game and perhaps VCNA is not in the future plan as we've known it.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I don't understand what's going on with the dealer remodeling. My local dealer shut down the showroom for months to remodel and the only obvious difference I noticed was some new furniture in the waiting room. Maybe there's more going on but if it's not obvious why bother?

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
A very good suggestion!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I can't help but wonder if VCNA is on the verge of serious restructuring or shutting down even. From my initial contact with them regarding reserving a first edition, I get this image of three people sitting around an office in jersey with a bad internet connection. And I'm under the impression that dealerships are being told to renovate/rebrand, like theres some directive to step up the game and perhaps VCNA is not in the future plan as we've known it.
From talking to people I know there its more than just a few people sitting around. Here is a link to the VCNA executives. The SVP in charge is likely not physically at the Rockleigh headquarters. Tony Nicolosi was VCNA president until very recently, and I'm pretty sure he was at the headquarters. They are always going to need a United States headquarters. Now, whether that moves to SC I have no idea.

Clicking on the names may give you more insight.

https://www.media.volvocars.com/us/en-us/corporate/market-executives

Here's a link to the corporate Volvo executives.

https://www.media.volvocars.com/us/en-us/corporate/executive-management

I clicked on some word documents on the individual person's page that gave a liittle more information.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts