SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was at the last GTG at the Nurburgring I got an idea from DE V70R. He showed everyone there his "brake ducts." They are OEM Volvo parts that are available to purchase from the parts department. The parts are Lt and Rt Air guides and two small spoilers with associated hardware. The prices will vary but should not be too expensive ... I bought them on the local economy at a Volvo dealership here in England. They installed very easy and I had to drill eight holes through a plastic channel for the spoilers. The Air guides snap right in ...

Here goes:

These are all the pieces. Air Guides are on the outside and spoilers inside.

These are the brake duct areas before install of the guides.

Here are the guide vanes installed ... they snap in three places and get one screw each.

The small spoilers I had to drill holes for but DE V70R said he had holes for his already. Anyway it was very simple to accomplish the install.

Here is the channel for the spoilers.

I lined up the spoilers against the stop on both ends and marked the spots then drilled through the plastic.

and then pop the rivets in.

All in all it took very little time to do this and it's all Volvo parts. Now maybe my calipers will not turn any more gold.

Some more pics:

Back-to-back right side:

From the top of the wheel well.

Now all the goodies:

DE V70R and Speed Demon gave my all the info ... Thanks to both of them and to DE V70R for showing them off. Thanks to Kelly for organizing the GTG's that give the R-gang so much collective R knowledge.

Part numbers are:

Air Guide Lt 9190497
Air Guide Rt 9190498
Small spoilers (X2) 9484055

Also ask for the proper hardware to go along with these. If they do not know which rivets, ask for the ones that go in the wheel well.

DE V70R bought his parts from Karp Volvo in NY from Joe. I bought mine locally although I considered Brentwood Volvo, but I did not have the time to wait for delivery (impatience.)

That should be everything,

Denny

Modified by wrxownr at 9:47 PM 5-6-2006

·
Registered
18,762 Posts
Re: Volvo OEM brake ducts / air guides and spoilers (wrxownr)

Quote, originally posted by wrxownr »
Thanks to Kelly for organizing the GTG's that give the R-gang so much collective R knowledge.

Thank you for the great write up! I will do this in Florida if I find a track to take Inga to. Very odd today not having her outside, had to walk to work.

·
Registered
5,849 Posts
Re: Volvo OEM brake ducts / air guides and spoilers ("R" Kelly)

Why is this the first we have heard about these parts? Has no one here in the US added these?

·
Registered
6,888 Posts

So these air guides are pretty much just covers that go underneath that fog light area? How do you access the foglights when you rivet these in place?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The total price should be around $50. The air guides are held in place by one screw each and three clips each. Remove screw and pull back ... change foglight bulb.

Denny

·
Registered
18,762 Posts
Re: Volvo OEM brake ducts / air guides and spoilers (Our R)

Quote, originally posted by Our R »
Why is this the first we have heard about these parts? Has no one here in the US added these?

Bryan just happened upon them recently, and just hadn't posted yet. I had never heard of them before GTG, so if someone did post here, it was before Oct '04.

·
Registered
18,762 Posts
Re: (mike_c70)

Quote, originally posted by mike_c70 »
I'm confused now. So what gets riveted?

The little spoilers. The guide vanes snap in place and take one screw.

Here are the guide vanes installed ... they snap in three places and get one screw each.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: (slowrey)

Quote, originally posted by slowrey »
I wonder how well these will work and why they were left off the R's from the factory.

Both of these are good questions. I think there should definitely be a benefit of smoothing the airflow under the foglights. I mean it's plugging a big void that probably causes high pressure air (under the car) to move to low pressure spaces (void behind foglights.) It should now help direct some air to the wheel well / brake area. That should be better than before. Maybe Jim or Johann can answer one of the questions?

Denny

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
Re: (slowrey)

Quote, originally posted by slowrey »
I wonder how well these will work and why they were left off the R's from the factory.

Isn't this an '05 up thing? Probably for certain countries similar like the open grill's for Euro GT's.

·
Registered
5,849 Posts
Re: (Johann)

Think of it this way, push a bit of air through the wheels and brake dust will have less of a tendency to stick to the wheel.
There you go Kelly. Now you to can have clean wheels.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I have the original Sport Kit installed from the dealer and these parts came with the kit.

IMO it varies in European and US models.I amnot sure.

Not important for you maybe but the price of these air guides here is Euro 60.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Re: (xenophobic)

I'll love to get these.

Are the part numbers listed all you need to install them?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts

When you say:

Also ask for the proper hardware to go along with these

What hardware are you referring to?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts

Thanks wrxownr.

I managed to order my parts from http://www.myswedishparts.com
Just keyed in the part numbers that you provided and viola, they were actually listed under "radiator support".

Total price for the parts was $47.95 without shipping.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: (doru)

Quote, originally posted by doru »
I'll love to get these.

Are the part numbers listed all you need to install them?

Yes ...

Part numbers are:

Air Guide Lt 9190497
Air Guide Rt 9190498
Small spoilers (X2) 9484055

Quote, originally posted by doru »
When you say:

What hardware are you referring to?

Two screws, two washers and 8 rivets are the hardware I'm referring too.

Denny

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Re: Volvo OEM brake ducts / air guides and spoilers (blot)

Quote, originally posted by blot »
Thanks wrxownr.

I managed to order my parts from http://www.myswedishparts.com
Just keyed in the part numbers that you provided and viola, they were actually listed under "radiator support".

Total price for the parts was $47.95 without shipping.

I'll have to order them from Dave over there. He's a great guy and his prices are very reasonable.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Re: Volvo OEM brake ducts / air guides and spoilers (slowrey)

Here is the complete list of parts:

Air guide 9190497
Air guide 9190498
Small spoiler (need 2) 9484055
Screw (need 2) 979188
Washer (need 2) 960138
Rivet (need 8) 979878

1 - 20 of 46 Posts