SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

This might be helpful if your car is out of warranty and the NAV can't read the disc- I have a 04 V70R. My Nav was intermittently saying "can not read disc", and eventually got to the point it wasn't working at all. I ran the cleaner disc through the unit with no luck. I checked with the Volvo service department and was told "you need to replace the control unit- this is a common problem" (at $1,000+). Then I checked with a couple electronics repair shops, no one could touch it, I guess the parts are not available, it would need to be sent in for a rebuild by Mitsubishi, (significantly less then buying a reman unit from the dealer by the way) but they suspected the laser was worn out...

And since I don't want to let the man get me down, I removed the unit from the trunk (back area since mines a wagon). Removed the faceplate and the top of the unit, where inside you can get a glimpse of the DVD laser lens. I noticed with a flash light, mine was super dirty. I had an "Endust for electronics" computer cleaning kit that included: lens cleaner, compressed air, and swabs for getting into tight areas. I used one of the swabs with lens cleaner pushing it down into the unit (It's a really tight squeeze). After pulling the swab out of the top of the unit it was black with dust/grime. I checked the lens again- it looked much better (clear). I put it all back together and installed in the car- now it's working perfectly!

I have NAV again!!

Just an idea for anyone who has the "Can not read disc" fault on their NAV screen. A Garmin unit is nice, but having the in dash navigation working that you paid $2,000+, as an option, is priceless.

T. http://********************/smile/emcocktl.gif

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Re: Volvo NAV Saying "can not read disc"- possible fix (tmartin)

Thank you very much for the informative post.

Never had the problem, but when the time comes I will know what to do.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: Volvo NAV Saying "can not read disc"- possible fix (FEO)

Great post, thanks!!! http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

Linked in the FAQ thread.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Thanks for the info!!! Hopefully, I wont get to see that error message, but good to know that if I do, there is a simple (and cost effective) fix!

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
^Glad this worked.

Being an electronics tech for several years, I learned that many CD players can be fixed by simply grabbing a q-tip swab, dipping one side in some rubbing alcohol, and lightly wiping the lens with the soaked side, then using the dry side of the swab to dry the lens off. Works better than the CD's with the little cleaner brushes molded into the disc.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Exactly as I did. I used alternating wet and dry q tips. The first 3 were pretty dirty! I used rubbing alcohol because I know it's what they give you when you buy electronics cleaner anyways.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Can anyone drag a tiny diagram real fast when looking down at the top with the plate removed where the laser is? I'm having trouble catching sight of it but I don't have a clue which part of the circle to look in

·
Registered
475 Posts
Volvo NAV Saying "can not read disc"- possible fix

I have this problem and I'm glad you made this thread! Going to try this!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I spent an hour looking through this, so here you go. Unfortunately this did NOT fix my problem, but my laser is clean!!

From the top down...After you remove the Black Faceplate, then the top silver plate, then the front silver plate

A: IF you wish to drop the front gate/protector (you can't see inside without doing this), there is a black linkage 3/4inch back that you can depress with a flathead screwdriver (from the front) which will lower the "gate" that normally requires a DVD to lower
B: Push the white tab to the left and HOLD until you complete step C
C: Push the white tab ALL the way to the back, if it stops half-way, try step B again (this will reveal the laser which you wouldn't see from the top previously)
D: Insert cleaning cutip at a 5 degree angle starting at the end of the green line, under the black spinner, all the way to the red circle
E: This is where the laser actually is, clean it but be very careful :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
If my DVD appears to be clean and unscratched in any significant way, the laser is clean, the cords are all plugged in properly as far as I know...and the popup in the dash still says that the DVD disc cannot be read...what else can I test before I have to spend money?

·
Registered
1 Posts
thanks for the tip, I will try this!

My dvd stopt reading after i had the battery unplugged, first time i managed to get it working again whit the volvo cleaning disc but, next time battery was unplugged same thing happend and the cleaning dvd dosen't do the trick now, so hoping this will.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Somehow, my nav disc went bad. I thought the nav reader was bad, got another one from forum member, same error. Then got his disc that worked with his nav reader and mine.

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
Just got this message yesterday while I was heading back from the beach.

Hopefully cleaning the internals will help.

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
Cleaned it and still the same message.

What else could it be?

·
Registered
953 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
Bad dvd....did you see my last post?
The dvd seems fine no scratches but, I guess I'l see if I can find another one to see if it works.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Contact burg_855t member. If he still has dvd unit and disk, he didn't ask much when I was looking for dvd player. His disk is what made me realize my disk went bad despite not having scratches. He wouldn't sell just the disk though. You might want to try and find a ss member near by who has nav and can let you test their disk in your dvd player.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Cleaned it and still the same message.

What else could it be?
If a new nav disc doesn't work, it generally means it's shot!
These units are crap and many of the earlier ones failed (or are failing)

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
If a new nav disc doesn't work, it generally means it's shot!
These units are crap and many of the earlier ones failed (or are failing)
I got a buddy with an 04 R with Navi.

If his disc doesn't work, then I will surrender to a new unit.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts