SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 S70 standard, 98k miles. Sorry if this is already covered in the main ETM post. I was simply surprised that out of the blue they sent it to me. Letter also says they want the car in to do a software upgrade on the ETM, without regard to whether I have had problems or not. I've only had to have mine cleaned once, by an independent. I'm not going to worry about trying to find the paperwork on the job ($35) to get a refund, which is also offered in the letter. Don't think I even got any paperwork, he just did it in the parking lot and I handed him the money.

Thanks to those who fought for this response by Volvo.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: Volvo letter, pleasant surprise: 200k/10 years coverage on the ETM (applejf)

You don't get any refund on CLEANING, only if you paid for a replacement ETB you get a refund.
You got the letter as this is a federal RECALL, they are required[/B] to reflash your ECU

·
Registered
45 Posts
Re: Volvo letter, pleasant surprise: 200k/10 years coverage on the ETM (JRL)

Er, when did this become a federal recall? There's nothing on the NHTSA web site regarding it.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: Volvo letter, pleasant surprise: 200k/10 years coverage on the ETM (M-G)

Ok, It's a recall, along with letters from Volvo being sent out.
I was told it was federal but certainly am not going to mince words.
Federal or just from Volvo, it's still a letter writing recall

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

The letter, for some reason, specifically states that it's not a recall, because the warranty has been extended and there is no corrective action required. That's all I know.......

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: Volvo letter, pleasant surprise: 200k/10 years coverage on the ETM (applejf)

Quote, originally posted by applejf »
The letter, for some reason, specifically states that it's not a recall, because the warranty has been extended and there is no corrective action required. That's all I know.......
Then my service manager (who is quite tech oriented and works hand in hand with the factory up in NJ) fibbed.

Always a possibility here

Let's just call it a service campaign then and I'll withdraw my statement

·
Registered
45 Posts

That'll work..

So for those of us who haven't gotten said letter, what are the particulars? Which vehicles does it cover?

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

Quote, originally posted by M-G »
That'll work..

So for those of us who haven't gotten said letter, what are the particulars? Which vehicles does it cover?
Do some reading
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.c...x.php
Go to "Don's ETM room"

·
Registered
45 Posts

OK. So it does apply everywhere, and not just in California, correct?

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

Quote, originally posted by M-G »
OK. So it does apply everywhere, and not just in California, correct?

Did you READ everything there or do we have to spoon feed you too?
Yes, (sigh), the entire US

·
Registered
95 Posts
Re:

Haven't received the letter yet, but thanks to all here and at Don's ETM Room, I knew about the availability of the 155 software update.

My CEL was on and I needed suspension work. The dealer I took my car to for repair wanted a $50 fee to hook up the VADIS (or whatever the new version is called) and perform diagnostics re: the CEL light.

I had to insist that I needed the 155 software anyway and they were going to hook up the computer for the d/l, so why was there going to be a charge? He waived the fee after some grumbling and I received a scolding about wanting free service.

Later that day I was told that the CEL was on due to a MAF sensor code. He told me that the MAF was fine and that the 155 software would take care of the problem.

The repair bill showed a chargeback to Volvo of $80. No charge to me.

·
Registered
95 Posts

Quote, originally posted by JRL »
You don't get any refund on CLEANING, only if you paid for a replacement ETB you get a refund.
You got the letter as this is a federal RECALL, they are required[/B] to reflash your ECU

Ummm. Slight correction folks. You most certainly DO get refunded for CLEANING and SERVICE related to ETM failures. Even if they DON'T replace the ETM. Here is what the letter says:

"If . . . your vehicle exhibits any of the conditions mentioned above regarding the Electronic Trhrottle System function, contact your nearest authorized Vovlvo retailer to schedule an appontment for a diagnosis. Repairs or replacements required based on the diagnosis and withc are a result of an Electronic Throttle System failure will be covered by this extended warranty and performed at no charge."

"If you have already paid to have the Electronic Throttle System repaired or replaced within 10 years and less than 200,000 miles, you may be eligible for a refund"

"Send your repair order with a coy of this letter . . . to: [address]" "The repair order must show that you previously paid for Electronic Throttle System servicing . . ."

OK, CLEANING is a REPAIR or SERVICE. Send in your receipt.

JRL, stop steering people wrong. Please get your facts straight. The reason that Volvo is performing this service campaign is because Volvo owners in California filed a class action re: the expense to CLEAN and REPLACE the ETMs in their cars. They are hopefully getting reimbursed for all of it, not just the ETM replacement.

My advice? Send in ALL your receipts related to ETM failures.

·
Registered
45 Posts

Did you READ everything there or do we have to spoon feed you too?
Yes, (sigh), the entire US

Nothing like being a jackass JRL, but then I suppose I've read enough of your posts to not be surprised.

I read through the recent posts on the other site, but everything referenced this being an agreement between CARB and Volvo. Of course, you were thinking this was a federally mandated recall, so I don't know if I should have a lot of faith in your answer....

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: Volvo letter, pleasant surprise: 200k/10 years coverage on the ETM (Matt S.)

OK, I'll pass on this conversation as you defintely are more knowledgable on the subject.
It would be nice though if you didn't continue to keep telling people to write the govt.
Yes, this was started by that lawsuit in CA, no argumant there and thankfully it mushroomed to the entire country but what we're getting is it.
It would be more helpful at this time if you steered people in the right direction as what to do and how they ae going to het their car fixed for free, instead of the continued hatred towards Volvo.
You wanted a car that would run 200K with normal maintenance, that ain't never going to happen with a Volvo, YOU should have done your homewrok BEFORE buying one.

·
Registered
95 Posts

<snip> ... You wanted a car that would run 200K with normal maintenance, that ain't never going to happen with a Volvo, YOU should have done your homewrok BEFORE buying one. ..<snip>

JRL,
Assuming this comment is directed towards me. Yes, I did do my homework re: Volvos. The following is from their web-site as of today, 4-19-2006. It is the same marketing hype that they have been using for years:

"It's part of our Scandinavian heritage that things be made to last. Perhaps the most visible expression of Volvo quality is the continued durability of Volvos that were built a decade ago. According to a recent independent study by Polk, the median life expectancy of all Volvos in service is 18.6 years. And Volvo is the only car company with a High Mileage Club."

(Yeah right, guess that club is too exclusive for me to ever get in.)

So, I guess what you might be saying is that Volvo has been lying to customers for years?

And, oh by the way, I do not have the expertise at this time to advise other owners how to pursue repairs when their ETM breaks down. But I'm learning.

I do know that more:
--Formal complaints filed with NHTSA
--Letters to Volvo NA from customers
--Phone calls to Volvo Customer Care
--Reimbursement requests to ACB Rebates
--Questions and challenges raised to dealerships
--More feedback sent to the NHTSA investigators

All equal increased likelihood that the Engineering Analysis will proceed to the next phase. Eventually there may be the federal recall of which you speak.

Constant pressure evokes change.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts