SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Volvo launches new D5 diesel in S40 and V50 models

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  tomi22 
#1 ·
Volvo Cars has started European delivery of S40 sedans and V50 estates with its new and more powerful D5 diesel powerplant, aiming at Europe's premium diesel car market.

The S40 D5 and V50 D5 debuted at the Bologna Motor Show in December with the new 180 hp five-cylinder turbodiesel, a considerable step up from the two four-cylinder alternatives offering 109 and 136 hp. Currently, the D5 engine is available only with a five-speed automatic. The new models are expected to account for about 10 percent of S40 and V50 sales in Europe.

Volvo plans to roll out a C70 D5 model later this year, and the annual production target for the three D5 models is about 10,000 units.

http://www.whatcar.com/news-article.aspx?NA=220091
http://www.autoblog.com/2006/0...dels/

#3 ·
Re: Volvo launches new D5 diesel in S40 and V50 models (r_driver04)

With gas prices where they are, I think any car company that could convince Americans that modern diesels aren't the dirty engines Americans think they are, stands to make a killing in the states

#4 ·
Re: Volvo launches new D5 diesel in S40 and V50 models (XK120)

Won't happen until US diesel is up to the necessary specs. And even then, nobody's going to leap on it the next day. But I bet it happens. Slowly.

Tom.

#7 ·
Re: (treacherous)

I read in "Autobild" that the V50 D5 gets an average of 7.0 l / 100 km with 5.3 l / 100 km on the highway, anyone not lazy want to calculate that into MPG? my guesstimation is yes around 45 MPG very impressive for a 180 hp Automatic wagon that puts out more torque than a T5 and tops 140 mph.

It may get a 6 spd manual next year which should improve fuel consumption by .5 l per/100 km.

#8 ·
#10 ·
Re: Volvo launches new D5 diesel in S40 and V50 models (tmtalpey)

Quote, originally posted by tmtalpey »
Won't happen until US diesel is up to the necessary specs. And even then, nobody's going to leap on it the next day. But I bet it happens. Slowly.

Tom.

since a long round trip from florida to new jersey (2500+ miles w/o a speeding ticket... cue maniacal laughter), i have been seriously thinking about diesel. not that the s40 did bad, we were pulling 29mpg @ 80 mph, mid thirties when drafting suv tanks. when we got back i wondered how much better we would have done w/ a diesel. manufacturers use some rediculously low speed, like 55mph to list hwy mpg. if a t5 gets 29mpg @ 80mph, will a d5 grab 39mpg? i'd love to know. weeks ago i was doing some casual internet research, and if memory serves i found that bp is already selling the good, low-sulphur diesel in the us.

personally, i hope and believe that audi will do it's part to raise diesel awareness in the us.

after witnessing firsthand the utter silence, absolute lack of smoke and blazing speed of the audi r10 @ sebring, i was stunned. other fans i spoke w/ were equally blown away. believe me when i tell you that the only sound the audi r10 makes is downforce. i can't wait for it to get back to the states after lemans.

i would scoop up an awd v50 180hp diesel 6spd manual in a heartbeat. good performance and fuel economy? the perfect car, people!

btw, does the d5 use an aluminum block?

#11 ·
Does Volvo have any plans on bringing the Diesel to the US? I thought it has been discussed before, and the answer was not any time soon.

Also, diesel fuel is more expensive than regular fuel. My guess is that gap will continue to grow as our transportation industry turns more and more to trucking. Anyway, will the mileage improvements over ride the added expense per fillup?
And VW has had the TDI in the US for a while.
Are they selling any quicker/better than the regular models?

#16 ·
Re: Volvo launches new D5 diesel in S40 and V50 models (mmb.net99)

Do you really think about "imprting" it to US?

R version? No way, lately Volvo in Europe released a press note that it is dropping the R program in its Cars. It will concentrate more on safety and comfort instead. Of course it will keep its T5/T6 engines

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.