SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/06/04/volvos-all-get-free-towing-for-life/

Volvo just announced an awesome new service today called Complimentary Tow for Life. It means exactly what it says. If you own a Volvo, roadside towing is now available free of charge. The coolest part? It doesn't matter how old your Volvo is, the service applies to every Volvo ever sold in the U.S.

This means that 1958 Volvo P-121 sitting in your garage gets a free tow. Same goes for the 1966 P1800. That 1980s Volvo station wagon you still daily drive? Yep, that one, too.

Of course, most folks don't drive around vintage Volvos on the daily, but now those cars and Volvo's new vehicles are covered under this towing program. Previously, Volvo only extended the complimentary tow to Volvos still under warranty as part of its roadside assistance services. Those who take advantage of the program can expect to be towed to the nearest Volvo retailer covered under the program.

Volvo's head of customer service, Scott Doering said, "Tow for Life ensures that in the event of a breakdown, help is on hand no matter the age of the vehicle. It's a commitment to all our customers that cars will be taken to experts who use genuine Volvo parts and repair methods."

To use the towing service, Volvo owners should call for help using Volvo On-Call in new cars, or call 1-800-550-5658 to get through to Volvo Customer Care.
I don't see the actual announcement from Volvo anywhere, but their roadside assistance page has been updated to reflect the new policy.

https://www.volvocars.com/us/own/owner-info/service-by-volvo/roadside-assistance

View attachment 51901

·
Registered
463 Posts
Nor in Canada !

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
That's cool. Very smart.

·
Registered
8,734 Posts
no its not smart, it is a horrible idea. I've seen how this works before it was even free. customer tows old volvo to dealership, dealership techs have never seen anything this old, start firing the parts cannon at it, customer gets mad as the bill racks up, tows it a short ways to an indy who fixes it in a day. Volvo needs to stay out of things they have no business being in.

·
Super Moderator
8,698 Posts
no its not smart, it is a horrible idea. I've seen how this works before it was even free. customer tows old volvo to dealership, dealership techs have never seen anything this old, start firing the parts cannon at it, customer gets mad as the bill racks up, tows it a short ways to an indy who fixes it in a day. Volvo needs to stay out of things they have no business being in.
You just explained exactly why Volvo would do it. $$$$$$

Just another way to get cars into their dealer service network instead of indy shops.

·
Registered
8,734 Posts
at the expense of good will towards the brand? I'd reckon my indy has done more to keep people in their Volvos that the local dealer ever could. They have had people literally come -crying- from the dealer ready to send it to the crusher only to have it rescued and put back on the road. Why would Volvo want to shun those kinds of operations or actively work against them?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Where does it say any car of any age?
I see "That’s why your complimentary Volvo Roadside Assistance membership starts the moment you receive your new Volvo and lasts for four years."

·
Super Moderator
8,698 Posts
at the expense of good will towards the brand? I'd reckon my indy has done more to keep people in their Volvos that the local dealer ever could. They have had people literally come -crying- from the dealer ready to send it to the crusher only to have it rescued and put back on the road. Why would Volvo want to shun those kinds of operations or actively work against them?
I agree with you, but it's a 'money now' vs 'money later' play, IMO. Yeah, there might be some hurt feelings when the bills are absurd and the techs are unfamiliar, but in the mean time, most who have their old car towed to the dealer will realize (or not care) that they are about to be bent over.

·
Super Moderator
8,698 Posts
Where does it say any car of any age?
I see "That’s why your complimentary Volvo Roadside Assistance membership starts the moment you receive your new Volvo and lasts for four years."
Bottom left.

·
Registered
8,734 Posts
I agree with you, but it's a 'money now' vs 'money later' play, IMO. Yeah, there might be some hurt feelings when the bills are absurd and the techs are unfamiliar, but in the mean time, most who have their old car towed to the dealer will realize (or not care) that they are about to be bent over.
I know the dealer here is running out of one and done customers, indy here even has in warranty cars brought to them for out of pocket service cause the dealer is so bad....meanwhile Volvo is trying to dump good dealers in Houston cause their building looks old....give me a break.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
383 Posts
Bottom left.
"We’ve got you covered. Even after your warranty has expired, your vehicle is still eligible for Tow for Life. With no cost, we will arrange to have your car towed to the nearest authorized Volvo retailer within a 25-mile radius. "
That? That still doesn't say it covers any car. That says when the warranty expires, which I imagine implies for the new car that you bought that the warranty ended on, not just any Volvo that's past warranty.
I don't see them doing this for every Volvo ever sold in the US.

·
Registered
463 Posts
It might even say: starting now, with the Volvo cars covered by the warranty which are subject to expiration ... you will be still covered for free towing.
Is this following a logic?

·
Registered
8,734 Posts
Listen, this free tow thing is nothing new, sleazy places like Christian Brothers and some independent Firestones have done this for years. It's one of those fake "piece of mind" things they use to lure you in then bend you over. Kinda sad that Volvo has stopped to this level.

·
Super Moderator
8,698 Posts
I know the dealer here is running out of one and done customers, indy here even has in warranty cars brought to them for out of pocket service cause the dealer is so bad.
Oof! That's terrible.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
free towing is any volvo model of any age towed to AND repaired by a dealer. If you decline repairs then you pay the tow bill.

·
Registered
463 Posts
free towing is any volvo model of any age towed to AND repaired by a dealer. If you decline repairs then you pay the tow bill.
I don’t believe it, that will be a wrong marketing approach from Volvo in this matter.

If you do advertise a service for free than let it be free. Don’t have a hinder agenda and surprise your customer with this kind of information right on spot : “you need to pay if you don’t accept the estimation” .... that can be unforgettable.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
From Road and Track's article:
Update: A little more than three hours after we published this article, David Tracy at Jalopnik found out it's not quite so simple. The free towing only applies if you get your car serviced at the Volvo center it's towed to. If you opt out of the dealership repair, you're on the hook for the cost of the tow.

I have to say that if you two to a Volvo dealer with no intention of getting fixed there then it will have to be towed again. I would think that a car that goes in and ends up needing repairs far exceeding the value of the car then the check out charge is likely to be the qualifier for the free inbound tow.

·
Registered
8,734 Posts
Well duh, can you imagine if Volvo just had free tows with no strings attached?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Obvious should be obvious--it's not a true service to the owner, just a way to get the cars to the dealer's garage. Why even post about this BS?

My insurance company charges me ~$10 a year for roadside assistance. Used it once when my starter went out. A friend gave me a ride to the parts store, and ~$100 and half hour later I was back on the road.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts