SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/06/04/volvos-all-get-free-towing-for-life/

Volvo just announced an awesome new service today called Complimentary Tow for Life. It means exactly what it says. If you own a Volvo, roadside towing is now available free of charge. The coolest part? It doesn't matter how old your Volvo is, the service applies to every Volvo ever sold in the U.S.

This means that 1958 Volvo P-121 sitting in your garage gets a free tow. Same goes for the 1966 P1800. That 1980s Volvo station wagon you still daily drive? Yep, that one, too.

Of course, most folks don't drive around vintage Volvos on the daily, but now those cars and Volvo's new vehicles are covered under this towing program. Previously, Volvo only extended the complimentary tow to Volvos still under warranty as part of its roadside assistance services. Those who take advantage of the program can expect to be towed to the nearest Volvo retailer covered under the program.

Volvo's head of customer service, Scott Doering said, "Tow for Life ensures that in the event of a breakdown, help is on hand no matter the age of the vehicle. It's a commitment to all our customers that cars will be taken to experts who use genuine Volvo parts and repair methods."

To use the towing service, Volvo owners should call for help using Volvo On-Call in new cars, or call 1-800-550-5658 to get through to Volvo Customer Care.
I don't see the actual announcement from Volvo anywhere, but their roadside assistance page has been updated to reflect the new policy.

https://www.volvocars.com/us/own/owner-info/service-by-volvo/roadside-assistance

volvo roadside assistance.jpg

·
Registered
775 Posts
This is interesting. Free towing TO A VOLVO DEALERSHIP. Smart play considering the absurd price of repairs on these cars.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes...they’ll gladly tow you to the Volvo dealership where you’ll pay $830.50 for a broken taillight. That said, I think the commitment to taking the stress out of a broken-down car is pretty rad. Good move, Volvo. Color me impressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
Does this apply to any newer Volvo or just new purchases moving forward?

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes...they’ll gladly tow you to the Volvo dealership where you’ll pay $830.50 for a broken taillight.
I sure hope people aren't requesting tows for broken taillights. But that brings up an interesting question. How broken down does my car have to be to get a tow? I would guess that the folks answering the phones will have some sort of criteria. I suppose I can't get it towed just because the oil change is due lol

That said, I think the commitment to taking the stress out of a broken-down car is pretty rad. Good move, Volvo. Color me impressed.
Indeed. I'm actually surprised no other manufacturer has tried this sooner. If this means they make more money on mechanic services, I could see it being copied by other brands.

·
Registered
8,740 Posts
"With no cost, we will arrange to have your car towed to the nearest authorized Volvo retailer within a 25-mile radius. "

LOL, still better arm up on that AAA Elite membership.

·
Registered
16,859 Posts
I'm impressed too. I'd like to read and interpret the fine print, but with the lifetime on the parts they added in the last few years (can someone dig that up and post in this same thread?), there is little worry about now as long as you have a fair budget to work with, as yes - their fees are high. Do preventative care on your cars, and less worry.
Yes...they’ll gladly tow you to the Volvo dealership where you’ll pay $830.50 for a broken taillight. That said, I think the commitment to taking the stress out of a broken-down car is pretty rad. Good move, Volvo. Color me impressed.

·
Registered
16,859 Posts
In some remote areas, that would suck. Luckily, I'm usually within that range of two or three in this area, maybe four.
This might be like having spotify and pandora, netflix and amazon prime video. OVER coverage is best.
"With no cost, we will arrange to have your car towed to the nearest authorized Volvo retailer within a 25-mile radius. "

·
Registered
775 Posts

Agreed.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,740 Posts
In some remote areas, that would suck. Luckily, I'm usually within that range of two or three in this area, maybe four.
This might be like having spotify and pandora, netflix and amazon prime video. OVER coverage is best.
Some remote areas? Lol, that's the vast majority of the US.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,740 Posts
I forget this, as I've never lived anywhere but the over populated DC area. ;)
Sounds depressing.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
lol. another take: SPAs are breaking down SO MUCH that VolvoNA had to resort to free towing?

·
Registered
603 Posts

Based on the fact that USA is HUGGGGGEEEE, except if you live in city, you are f*****
Love the idea anyway even if you are stuck with the dealership.

·
Registered
8,740 Posts
lol. another take: SPAs are breaking down SO MUCH that VolvoNA had to resort to free towing?

no, Volvo is just throwing another passive aggressive salvo at indys by trying to take old models back to the dealership and give their mechanics much needed work. The indy here has weeks of backlog because of how bad the dealership is, and people are willing to wait.

instead of trying to throw crap dealers a bone, Volvo needs to reach out to best of breed indys and start an Authorized Service Center program like Orio did when Saab dealers went poof. Help your brand, not local yokels who are not good at what they do.

·
Registered
20 Posts
no, Volvo is just throwing another passive aggressive salvo at indys by trying to take old models back to the dealership and give their mechanics much needed work. The indy here has weeks of backlog because of how bad the dealership is, and people are willing to wait.
Y’all are so negative. I don’t see any other manufacturers offering this, and a lot of them produce much less reliable vehicles. Our dealership is incredible, and I’ve found that the prices aren’t far off from the independent shops, plus you get nice loaners and great service. If you hate Volvo so much, go buy something else.

·
Registered
16,859 Posts
Not bad. I like riding a bike into dinner or walking.
Traffic bad, yeah. Otherwise it's what you're acclimated to.
Sounds depressing.
+1. I believe that. I wish my indy were still under a mile away. He was a good dude. RIP where ever you are, man. Cruise over, drop car, walk home, walk back to get it. It was nice.

·
Registered
8,740 Posts
Y’all are so negative. I don’t see any other manufacturers offering this, and a lot of them produce much less reliable vehicles. Our dealership is incredible, and I’ve found that the prices aren’t far off from the independent shops, plus you get nice loaners and great service. If you hate Volvo so much, go buy something else.

my indy has loaners, and you must live in an expensive place if dealership prices are anywhere close to indys. rack rate here at the dealer is like $160 an hour, indy under 100. I dont hate Volvos, I hate ****ty volvo corporate practices.....especially ones of desperation like this.

the parts for life thing was the biggest scam of all....volvo has a habit of making big PR waves with **** like this that is quickly destroyed after reading the fine print....no lifetime warranty of parts if you change ownership....huh? did all the parts suddenly go to **** when you sign the title over? LOL give me a break.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I wonder if this applies to Canada as well.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts