SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is not the Excellence version, but a full size SUV, of course, more expensive than XC90.

[bing translated]

Volvo Investing with XC100
Photo: Erik Andrén

The success of Volvo Cars is global. Achieving the promised record goal of 800 000 sold cars a year to 2020 does not seem at all impossible. To continue to grow, a fully sjusitsig SUV is also planned for North America and China.

Rumors that Volvo would develop an even bigger SUV than the current XC90 (internal codename V526) has Florerat ever since the first generation (P28) debuted 2002. Early on it was seen that the XC90 was a number too small compared to the competitors, mainly in the United States. But tight budget during previous Ford ownership meant that the people of Gothenburg had to choose to develop other – more important – cars instead of a mega-SUV.

In connection with Chinese Zhejiang Geely Holding Group's takeover of Volvo spring 2010 , future model matrix was planned about substantially. Then CEO Stefan Jacoby together with development manager Peter Mertens, both from Germany, drew up new guidelines where the SPA platform would form the basis for the major model Series 60 and 90. Flexibility and efficiency were watchwords, the SPA is also a base for completely different types of cars – everything from hybrid-sports car Polestar 1 To lyxlimousinen S90L Excellence.
Volvo XC100

The SPA 2 platform will be the foundation for the next generation of large Volvo and Polestar cars, with it well prepared for electric drive. In order to compete with big Cadillac Escalad and Lincoln Navigator It is required that the XC100 extends. A length of at least 5.2 meters.

SPA 2 called the upcoming replacement platform as the next generation of large cars from Volvo (and Polestar) will be built on – adapted for global production in Europe, USA and China. European competitors like BMW X7, Mercedes GLS and Range Rover LWB are still refreshing Volvo to build a full-sized SUV with hefty dimensions. The SUV trend is stronger than ever when manufacturers such as Lamborghini, Rolls-Royce and even Lotus establish themselves in the segment. The United States also sells Cadillac Escalae, Infiniti QX80, Lexus LX 570 and, for example, Lincoln Navigator too well for Volvo Cars to refrain from stepping on the MEGASUV train.

The project "V616" within Volvo Cars means according to the internal Utvecklingsnomenklaturen: 6-largest car type, 1-first generation, 6-SUV/crossover. Project V616 is supposed to be able to premiere appears sometime 2022-23, then as Volvo XC100. The Exteriörmåtten becomes sturdy with Swedish standards: axle spacing at 3.1 meters, length of 5.2 meters, 1.8 meters high and two meters wide, a hefty piece simply. Did we hear the nickname "Volvo Sow" again?
SPA 2 is prepared for different degrees of electrification: mild hybrid, hybrid and as battery-elbil. Värstingversionen "T12 Multi Engine" with Tvåliters VEA Drive-E gasoline engine plus three electric motors (one front, two rear) get more than 600 horsepower but drivlinemässigt will of course milder options.
Volvo XC100

Much of the design is taken from the autonomous concept car Volvo 360c. Count on turgid dimensions.

In design terms, the style managers – German Thomas Ingenlath, Englishman Robin Page together with Österrikefödde Maximilian Missoni – will continue on the wrapped line with balanced, well-balanced design. Just design has become a strong core value of "The new" Kinesägda Volvo Cars, but expect a tougher attitude such as the concept car 360c exhibited.
The interior stepper XC100 up further design with, above all, Scandinavian style grips and material choices. "Stripped-down luxury" is a mantra that sells and Volvo customers have taken in the new, more luxurious style of hull and hair. Also count on a sexsitsig version of XC100 for the extra comfortable comfort cruise, something that is specially sought in China with its long distances and increasingly dense traffic. However, the current XC90 will be pre-configured with its configuration. XC100 is, of course, prepared – Like all future Volvo – for different degrees of autonomous self-driving and fast network connection for the most comfortable trip.

Volvo XC100 is just one of several brand new car types that will be streamlined and developed within the continued strongly growing Geely group.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, the title should be "Volvo investing XC100".

Let's see if they will add powered telescoping steering, soft auto-closing door, powered running board/stairs, etc, etc. lol

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Hmmm, styling looks like a cross between the new XC40 and old XC70 . . . Doesn't quite move me yet like seeing the XC90. (I see now why angling the trunk makes a stylistic difference.) Maybe I need to see more views than what's shown here? Perhaps this can finally hold a 4'x8' plywood sheet or drywall flat on the floor? Thx for sharing.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The front grille better be much taller than this, to follow the trend of X7.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
The front grille better be much taller than this, to follow the trend of X7.
Oh gosh no, those X7 grills IMO look quite disproportionate and too ostentatious - doesn't seem to be the Scandinavian / Volvo way. I hope Volvo never "follows" BMW (or anyone else) but continues to blaze its own path :)

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
If it helps Volvo sell more cars in the US, I’m looking forward to it. 600hp and twin rear motors does sound fun.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
If it helps Volvo sell more cars in the US, I’m looking forward to it. 600hp and twin rear motors does sound fun.
But I doubt how many full size SUVs will be sold. If it is like volume of V90/V90CC, it will be quite sad.
Even for Escalae, QX80, LX570 , X7, Navigator, how many of them are sold each year? Quite low volume I guess.

The 600HP could be a dream if given to 90 and 60 series P* engineered cars. But Volvo don't want to be fast and furious. :(

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
This is not the Excellence version, but a full size SUV, of course, more expensive than XC90.

[bing translated]

Volvo Investing with XC100

The success of Volvo Cars is global. Achieving the promised record goal of 800 000 sold cars a year to 2020 does not seem at all impossible. To continue to grow, a fully sjusitsig SUV is also planned for North America and China.

Rumors that Volvo would develop an even bigger SUV than the current XC90 (internal codename V526) has Florerat ever since the first generation (P28) debuted 2002. Early on it was seen that the XC90 was a number too small compared to the competitors, mainly in the United States. But tight budget during previous Ford ownership meant that the people of Gothenburg had to choose to develop other – more important – cars instead of a mega-SUV.

In connection with Chinese Zhejiang Geely Holding Group's takeover of Volvo spring 2010 , future model matrix was planned about substantially. Then CEO Stefan Jacoby together with development manager Peter Mertens, both from Germany, drew up new guidelines where the SPA platform would form the basis for the major model Series 60 and 90. Flexibility and efficiency were watchwords, the SPA is also a base for completely different types of cars – everything from hybrid-sports car Polestar 1 To lyxlimousinen S90L Excellence.
Volvo XC100

The SPA 2 platform will be the foundation for the next generation of large Volvo and Polestar cars, with it well prepared for electric drive. In order to compete with big Cadillac Escalad and Lincoln Navigator It is required that the XC100 extends. A length of at least 5.2 meters.

SPA 2 called the upcoming replacement platform as the next generation of large cars from Volvo (and Polestar) will be built on – adapted for global production in Europe, USA and China. European competitors like BMW X7, Mercedes GLS and Range Rover LWB are still refreshing Volvo to build a full-sized SUV with hefty dimensions. The SUV trend is stronger than ever when manufacturers such as Lamborghini, Rolls-Royce and even Lotus establish themselves in the segment. The United States also sells Cadillac Escalae, Infiniti QX80, Lexus LX 570 and, for example, Lincoln Navigator too well for Volvo Cars to refrain from stepping on the MEGASUV train.

The project "V616" within Volvo Cars means according to the internal Utvecklingsnomenklaturen: 6-largest car type, 1-first generation, 6-SUV/crossover. Project V616 is supposed to be able to premiere appears sometime 2022-23, then as Volvo XC100. The Exteriörmåtten becomes sturdy with Swedish standards: axle spacing at 3.1 meters, length of 5.2 meters, 1.8 meters high and two meters wide, a hefty piece simply. Did we hear the nickname "Volvo Sow" again?
SPA 2 is prepared for different degrees of electrification: mild hybrid, hybrid and as battery-elbil. Värstingversionen "T12 Multi Engine" with Tvåliters VEA Drive-E gasoline engine plus three electric motors (one front, two rear) get more than 600 horsepower but drivlinemässigt will of course milder options.
Volvo XC100

Much of the design is taken from the autonomous concept car Volvo 360c. Count on turgid dimensions.

In design terms, the style managers – German Thomas Ingenlath, Englishman Robin Page together with Österrikefödde Maximilian Missoni – will continue on the wrapped line with balanced, well-balanced design. Just design has become a strong core value of "The new" Kinesägda Volvo Cars, but expect a tougher attitude such as the concept car 360c exhibited.
The interior stepper XC100 up further design with, above all, Scandinavian style grips and material choices. "Stripped-down luxury" is a mantra that sells and Volvo customers have taken in the new, more luxurious style of hull and hair. Also count on a sexsitsig version of XC100 for the extra comfortable comfort cruise, something that is specially sought in China with its long distances and increasingly dense traffic. However, the current XC90 will be pre-configured with its configuration. XC100 is, of course, prepared – Like all future Volvo – for different degrees of autonomous self-driving and fast network connection for the most comfortable trip.

Volvo XC100 is just one of several brand new car types that will be streamlined and developed within the continued strongly growing Geely group.
I can be nostradamus and body lett Volvo that the XC100 won't sell! They may as well bin it before being considered for production and my prediction is simply because Volvo has stubbornly decided to stick to their 4 cylinder 2L engine and their not so useful electric motor for long distance drive.

Who wants to have a heavier car powered by a choking 4cylinder engine? Introduce 3L and 4L engines and maybe, just maybe, the XC100 may appeal to buyers of bigger and longer cars.

The Range Rover's 2L hybrid doesn't sell as well as its 3L/5L engine equivalents. Unless, Volvo wants to sell 1 XC100 every blue moon.

I for one, wouldn't even look in Volvo's direction for that sized SUV if powered by this 4pot 2L engine.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can be nostradamus and body lett Volvo that the XC100 won't sell! They may as well bin it before being considered for production and my prediction is simply because Volvo has stubbornly decided to stick to their 4 cylinder 2L engine and their not so useful electric motor for long distance drive.

Who wants to have a heavier car powered by a choking 4cylinder engine? Introduce 3L and 4L engines and maybe, just maybe, the XC100 may appeal to buyers of bigger and longer cars.

The Range Rover's 2L hybrid doesn't sell as well as its 3L/5L engine equivalents. Unless, Volvo wants to sell 1 XC100 every blue moon.

I for one, wouldn't even look in Volvo's direction for that sized SUV if powered by this 4pot 2L engine.

What if they make it a pure EV?
What if they use the 2.0L engine as generator and EV extender with 100+ mile battery range? This is actually pretty good driving experience, just that engine sound is not proportional to acceleration.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
What if they make it a pure EV?
What if they use the 2.0L engine as generator and EV extender with 100+ mile battery range? This is actually pretty good driving experience, just that engine sound is not proportional to acceleration.
For intown driving, it may work. But not for long distance driving.

Unless they put the S60 Polestar engine + hybrid battery in there with some fake exhaust sound, maybe then, it can work.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For intown driving, it may work. But not for long distance driving.

Unless they put the S60 Polestar engine + hybrid battery in there with some fake exhaust sound, maybe then, it can work.

EV extender is no problem for long trip, you just refill gas like you do for ICE cars. Though it is not super powerful when battery is low (only up to 316HP and some loss on generator/e-motor).

It is a very viable setup to me. Another example is Volt, a great EV extender but just the implementation is not very good, too small.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
EV extender is no problem for long trip, you just refill gas like you do for ICE cars. Though it is not super powerful when battery is low (only up to 316HP and some loss on generator/e-motor).

It is a very viable setup to me. Another example is Volt, a great EV extender but just the implementation is not very good, too small.
By how many miles will the EV Extender extend the battery range and up to what battery ccapacity will EV recharge the battery?

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
By how many miles will the EV Extender extend the battery range and up to what battery ccapacity will EV recharge the battery?

It is up to the gas tank volume. With 18gal tank I think full range of 450miles is doable as a heavier car than T8 today. The engine should be able to generate more than enough electricity power to run the car solely by gas, with extra power to charge the battery. It shouldn't be a weak charger.

However, the space for engine and generator is still big. How much space is available for battery is important to get 100 miles e-range.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
It is up to the gas tank volume. The engine should be able to generate more than enough electricity power to run the car solely by gas, with extra power to charge the battery. It shouldn't be a weak charger.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
How is this extender different from our current T8 setup? If similar, it's not worth it charging the battery. Rather drive the vehicle on fuel and rely on regenerative braking to recharge.

As for me, my next car will definitely be one with a V8 diesel engine.

V8 for power and diesel because of its longish range compared to petrol.

No more electric vehicle for me because it doesn't meet my regular long distance range and consumption efficiency needs. Although I wouldn't mind the current 70L tank XC90 because it'll be a better compromise to my 2016 model as I could at least drive for 600KM before refueling.

I'm obsessed with power & torque and range. Give me these any day at a reasonable price and you'll see me enquiring at your dealership.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I would love a bigger Volvo. I am now trading in my Q7 for an X7. It's hideous-looking, but the experience inside is, imho, worth the trade-off.

I am ok with the 4 cylinder, 2-liter engine. Just put three of them side-by-side in the car.
Ok fine. Just kidding. Two will do.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
I mentioned some years ago I'd be for an 'XC120' if it were as large as an Escalade ESV and had a Turbo/Super Charged V6, or better yet V8 but that'd be a pipe dream. But I think we all know a vehicle that large isn't coming out of Volvo, unfortunately... I'd be all over it.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
How is this extender different from our current T8 setup? If similar, it's not worth it charging the battery. Rather drive the vehicle on fuel and rely on regenerative braking to recharge.

As for me, my next car will definitely be one with a V8 diesel engine.

V8 for power and diesel because of its longish range compared to petrol.

No more electric vehicle for me because it doesn't meet my regular long distance range and consumption efficiency needs. Although I wouldn't mind the current 70L tank XC90 because it'll be a better compromise to my 2016 model as I could at least drive for 600KM before refueling.

I'm obsessed with power & torque and range. Give me these any day at a reasonable price and you'll see me enquiring at your dealership.

Extender has more battery than T8, longer e-range, 100 vs 20 miles.
Extender has a much more powerful generator than T8, to generate enough electricity power to run the motor.
To hold so much battery, extender doesn't have 8AT transmission. The generator will take the space.

Driving wise, extender is heavier, with more battery. Runs more miles on battery.
Quieter, smoother than T8, due to battery driving. Fast response, no 8AT gear delay.
Run completely on battery if don't go on long trip.

Highway MPG is slightlyless than T8 due to heavier weight.
Total power is only from e-motor, maybe 300HP, less than T8 400HP total.
0-60 is slower than T8. Acceleration at low speed is great, due to e-motor torque. Maybe high speed acceleration is not as good as T8.

Basically it is a trade-off, less power for longer e-range, better riding.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
In an EV extender, you get a powerful ICE and a similarly powerful e-motor. It is a pity if they are not used simultaneously to create much higher power, on a car that expensive.
This is the dilemma of EV extender.

So a P*1 style hybrid power train still makes more sense.

But maybe there is another way to simplify the gear box to 3 high speed gears so that ICE only drives the wheels from 40mph to 120mph, and e-motor is used 0 to 60mph.
And of course ICE generates electricity as needed. This setup may not be great for 0-60 racing but will be all good in practical driving.

The 7DCT in XC40 PHEV is a clever use to let e-motor also drive at high speed. But how to tune the 7DCT clutch mechanism for higher torque use is still a challenge.
Also another thing is the e-motor has to stay close to the 7DCT, while still need another motor on rear axle for regenerative braking and driving.

·
Registered
8,734 Posts
I wouldn't call it XC100, that sounds so cheap. I think of that crappy Hyundai, the XG350. Stick to two digit numbers.

I'd take the current XC90 and down it to the XC80, make this hulking, unnecessary, monstrosity the XC90. It can lumber around with QX80s and Yukon XLs that fat Americans can roll in and out of. I'm sure it will be a big hit.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I wouldn't call it XC100, that sounds so cheap. I think of that crappy Hyundai, the XG350. Stick to two digit numbers.

I'd take the current XC90 and down it to the XC80, make this hulking, unnecessary, monstrosity the XC90. It can lumber around with QX80s and Yukon XLs that fat Americans can roll in and out of. I'm sure it will be a big hit.
Or call it XC90L

1 - 20 of 79 Posts