SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Why would anyone want full autonomy? What ever happened to enjoying the drive and having fun being in control? Sure heavy traffic during a commute is a PITA, but have we really come to this? I mean, it's already scary seeing how many people try to multi-task while driving because we seem to be a society plagued with ADD. I may be in the minority here and I accept that, but I'd prefer to be in control the entire time. While teaching my daughter to drive, I always reinforce the importance of maintaining complete focus on the task of driving. Nothing else matters at that time.
Elderly that need to get around. Handicapped people. Drunks without a designated driver. A lot of uses for autonomous car. Or do you want to share the road with these people driving?

·
Registered
2021 Inscription Recharge - 2021 Silverado LTZ 6.2L
1,739 Posts
Seriously our NHTSA laws need to be updated - no Active High Beams, no animated turn signals, no incoming driver pre-collision warning and no infrastructure for self driving cars. Its like we're stuck in the 60s. If the NHTSA truly cared about safety they would be more proactive towards updating legislation and set a timetable for when a certain percent of cars on the road must be self-driving.
You don't think this has anything to do with the US manufacturers being way behind the curve do you? Nah, can't be.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Inscription Recharge - 2021 Silverado LTZ 6.2L
1,739 Posts
Also, places like LA/Orange County are ground zero for needing autonomous driving. Gigantic freeways and yet gridlock. Make all those cars autonomous and suddenly the city functions. The economic value of that would easily run into billions of dollars per year.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Out of curiosity, I see that those Xc90s are equipped with those sensing paddles behind the steering wheel, which makes me worry that when the technology does get implemented, the 2016 Xc90 will not be compatible.

M

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Out of curiosity, I see that those Xc90s are equipped with those sensing paddles behind the steering wheel, which makes me worry that when the technology does get implemented, the 2016 Xc90 will not be compatible.

M
There is never indication that current XC90 could be upgraded to Drive Me. It is not like computer can get new OS upgrade unfortunately.

But with ACC, Lane Keep Assit, and Auto Pilot Assit, I think maybe possible for Volvo to create software update to allow more than 1 minutes of hands-off-steering on freeway.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
You don't think this has anything to do with the US manufacturers being way behind the curve do you? Nah, can't be.
They will buy the technology from Delphi when the market is open for semi-autonomous cars. Any wise car maker should already be talking with Delphi on how to integrate into their cars.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
There is never indication that current XC90 could be upgraded to Drive Me. It is not like computer can get new OS upgrade unfortunately.

But with ACC, Lane Keep Assit, and Auto Pilot Assit, I think maybe possible for Volvo to create software update to allow more than 1 minutes of hands-off-steering on freeway.
The driver is always responsible for the operation of the car, including steering, under current regulations. I don't expect Volvo and other manufacturers to encourage hands off the steering wheel for extended periods, regardless of how adept the car is at steering itself, under the current regulations.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
The driver is always responsible for the operation of the car, including steering, under current regulations. I don't expect Volvo and other manufacturers to encourage hands off the steering wheel for extended periods, regardless of how adept the car is at steering itself, under the current regulations.
True driver is always responsible. I don't mind be responsible for my car. Today they allow 1 minute hand-off time already. Competitors maybe will offer longer hand-off time. Then Volvo maybe will develop better Lane Keeping Assist software that works better on curve road, to gain more competition advantage. Then longer hand-off time is effectively possible. Today it is already possible to let the car run on its own most of time. Driver just need to steering every other minute to keep alert.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I'm not sure how US auto manufacturers being behind the curve has anything to do with this. Are you suggesting that US auto makers don't have these features and thus don't lobby the NHTSA to change regulations?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·

I would be thankful if they could even switch seamlessly between adaptive cruise control and pilot assist, And yes steer in both cases with a minute of hands-off-steering sounds good too. This is all doable in the current car.

·
Banned
763 Posts
Why would anyone want full autonomy? What ever happened to enjoying the drive and having fun being in control? Sure heavy traffic during a commute is a PITA, but have we really come to this? I mean, it's already scary seeing how many people try to multi-task while driving because we seem to be a society plagued with ADD. I may be in the minority here and I accept that, but I'd prefer to be in control the entire time. While teaching my daughter to drive, I always reinforce the importance of maintaining complete focus on the task of driving. Nothing else matters at that time.
People make too many mistakes to be trusted on a large scale with driving; I'd rather have a computer behind the wheel of every car on the road than a human. Better yet, I'd prefer automated public transportation and severe restrictions on personal vehicle use, automated or not, from an ecological perspective, but until that day comes, getting people away from the steering wheel is a great step forward.

·
Registered
98 Posts
People make too many mistakes to be trusted on a large scale with driving; I'd rather have a computer behind the wheel of every car on the road than a human. Better yet, I'd prefer automated public transportation and severe restrictions on personal vehicle use, automated or not, from an ecological perspective, but until that day comes, getting people away from the steering wheel is a great step forward.
I agree with what your views on cars and transportation. However, I bought an XC90 also because I want to drive it, even if with some help from the car!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts