SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Volvo Intellisafe Auto Pilot coming to XC90 in 2017

Volvo revealed it's Intellisafe Auto Pilot feature today that they will pilot with 100 real world customers in Sweden:

http://www.volvocars.com/intl/about/our-innovation-brands/intellisafe/autopilot

Do you guys think that there's any chance that this feature can be retroactively fitted to our 2016 XC90s at some point in the future? Would be really disappointing if all 2017 or 2018 models suddenly supported this and we were left unable to upgrade to this.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
This is only a limited test program right? We are years away from autopilot cars.
The 100 test cars at Gothenburg will almost be as good as final product. However how widely it can go depends on regulations as well. It is gray area right now if semi-autonomous cars are allowed or not by countries, and individual states. There is no law requires driver's hand stay on steering but using cell phone in car is illegal in many states. Laws like these are the real obstacle, not only to Volvo but also to MB, Audi, BMW semi-autonomous cars.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Good update.

However if this relies heavily on modern infrastructure (C2C) then we might not see this available stateside.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seriously our NHTSA laws need to be updated - no Active High Beams, no animated turn signals, no incoming driver pre-collision warning and no infrastructure for self driving cars. Its like we're stuck in the 60s. If the NHTSA truly cared about safety they would be more proactive towards updating legislation and set a timetable for when a certain percent of cars on the road must be self-driving.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I have been reading that the auto parking on the 2016 XC90 is hit and miss. Yet they have auto pilot almost ready for trials. Seems to me they gave up working on the 2016.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I have been reading that the auto parking on the 2016 XC90 is hit and miss. Yet they have auto pilot almost ready for trials. Seems to me they gave up working on the 2016.
Can you elaborate on the auto parking comment or do you have any links? I'm interested in this feature but only if it actually works!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not sure that the 2017 XC90 would be very different from the technology that's coming out on the 2016 model year. The cameras and sensors will likely be the same. As someone mentioned earlier in the thread its probably more to do with existing laws that are being tested with incremental steps towards automation.

Honestly I think Volvo is just waiting to see how the Tesla autopilot feature is received once it hits general availability in the US. Once the first set of lawsuits are tested in the courts between drivers, automakers and insurance carriers, that'll determine the path forward for the initiative as a whole.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I'm not sure that the 2017 XC90 would be very different from the technology that's coming out on the 2016 model year. The cameras and sensors will likely be the same. As someone mentioned earlier in the thread its probably more to do with existing laws that are being tested with incremental steps towards automation.
There are legal issues for sure, but the XC90 autopilot cars will have additional technology, including a front laser scanner, a front tri-focal camera and cloud-based detailed 3D mapping technology.

Honestly I think Volvo is just waiting to see how the Tesla autopilot feature is received once it hits general availability in the US. Once the first set of lawsuits are tested in the courts between drivers, automakers and insurance carriers, that'll determine the path forward for the initiative as a whole.
Same name, but quite different things. Tesla's current "autopilot" system is nothing more than a less capable collection of the driver assist functions already available on Volvo, Audi and Mercedes models. The new beta test version adds more driver assist functions (such as lane keeping assist and automatic parallel parking, which are already available on the 2016 XC90) but the capabilities will not be the level of autonomous driving of the autopilot XC90s, whereby the driver can cede total driving control and responsibility to the car on select public roads, legal issues aside.
http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2015/04/25/is-teslas-autopilot-more-advanced-mercedes-bmw.aspx

·
Registered
258 Posts
If the auto parking is hit or miss I'm still waiting for a hit :) It finds spots where they don't exist and doesn't find spots where they do. I have had the car for 3 months + and still have not successfully used it. Granted, I no longer try very often.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The 100 test cars at Gothenburg will almost be as good as final product. However how widely it can go depends on regulations as well. It is gray area right now if semi-autonomous cars are allowed or not by countries, and individual states. There is no law requires driver's hand stay on steering but using cell phone in car is illegal in many states. Laws like these are the real obstacle, not only to Volvo but also to MB, Audi, BMW semi-autonomous cars.
None of these manufacturers are anywhere near fully autonomous driving. The driver has to be always ready to emergently step in and take control, which defeats the purpose of autonomous cars.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
None of these manufacturers are anywhere near fully autonomous driving. The driver has to be always ready to emergently step in and take control, which defeats the purpose of autonomous cars.
But it serves the purpose of semi-autonomous cars very well. I so much like to relax on road trip though do not need to sleep in a moving car.

Even in a google autonomous car I wouldn't fall asleep or sleep well anyways. :)

·
Registered
826 Posts
Can you elaborate on the auto parking comment or do you have any links? I'm interested in this feature but only if it actually works!
I have read so many test drives review online I don;t remember which ones exactly. They don't all test auto parking but one thing they had in common is if they do it was hit and miss. Also it was commented on this forum from actual owners like markrmiller who has also confirmed in this thread.

Volvo is not waiting:
Volvo will accept liability for self-driving car crashes

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have read so many test drives review online I don;t remember which ones exactly. They don't all test auto parking but one thing they had in common is if they do it was hit and miss. Also it was commented on this forum from actual owners like markrmiller who has also confirmed in this thread.

Volvo is not waiting:
Volvo will accept liability for self-driving car crashes
Wow - this thing is surely moving fast - maybe an autonomous vehicle by 2020 is not a far stretch if our regulatory and legal can hash this out.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
It is a very brave statement. I am glad Volvo is one of the first making this statement.
Meanwhile they probably should have video saved for the last minute before accident to help insurance company judge the liability, and also time stamps when auto-pilot mode is on and off.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Why would anyone want full autonomy? What ever happened to enjoying the drive and having fun being in control? Sure heavy traffic during a commute is a PITA, but have we really come to this? I mean, it's already scary seeing how many people try to multi-task while driving because we seem to be a society plagued with ADD. I may be in the minority here and I accept that, but I'd prefer to be in control the entire time. While teaching my daughter to drive, I always reinforce the importance of maintaining complete focus on the task of driving. Nothing else matters at that time.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Why would anyone want full autonomy? What ever happened to enjoying the drive and having fun being in control? Sure heavy traffic during a commute is a PITA, but have we really come to this? I mean, it's already scary seeing how many people try to multi-task while driving because we seem to be a society plagued with ADD. I may be in the minority here and I accept that, but I'd prefer to be in control the entire time. While teaching my daughter to drive, I always reinforce the importance of maintaining complete focus on the task of driving. Nothing else matters at that time.
I never wants full autonomy. But I do want the semi-autonomous Drive-Me car, and my time stuck in traffic back for something meaningful. :)
Auto transmission freed one hand and foot of driver and many drivers started multitasking much more than manual transmission and nobody looks back again. :)

Maybe the driving test should be more strict to make sure new drivers are capable to drive with full attention.
Maybe semi-autonomous driving should only be allowed to drivers with 5 years clean history.
But I do want it. :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
When you've got an hour long commute that can stretch into 2 hours with gridlock - this will be a godsend. I would pay upwards of $5,000 for just this feature alone.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Why would anyone want full autonomy? Because driving is a chore. To and from our horrible jobs that take up too much of our time. And then, thanks to company phones, laptops, and iPads, never end. Anything that can increase the perceived free time is a plus. As for me. I probably would drive by hand for weekend trips, but monday thru friday, all autonomous is fine with me!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts