SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I was getting my car serviced this morning, I had a chat with some of the guys at Gorges Volvo. Apparently, they had a candid conversation with their rep last week who explained that Volvo will likely be packaging, for the US market, a twin turbo diesel as a engine option for the new S60!

This is the news I've been waiting to hear for too long.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Re: Volvo finally bringing a diesel to the US? (thesternowl)

The new D5, ratings in S80:

Max output (hp/rpm): 205 @ 4000
Max torque (ft.lbf/rpm): 310 @ 1500-3250

The engine allegedly gets around 38 mpg (45 mpg UK) in S80, 35 mpg combined. Meets Euro 5 emissions standards.

If I did the math right, that correlates to 34 mpg in XC60, perhaps 31 combined. But will XC60 get it over here?

Modified by rfkuehn at 11:08 AM 5-25-2009

·
Registered
8,839 Posts
Re: Volvo finally bringing a diesel to the US? (rfkuehn)

Won't be the D5. It will be the new twin turbo direct injection 4 cyl diesel.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
The 1.6L? Something else? What's wrong with the new D5? Seems to me an inline 5 turbo diesel would hit the mark.

Can you guess timing & specs?

Modified by rfkuehn at 5:20 PM 5-25-2009

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Re: Volvo finally bringing a diesel to the US? (thesternowl)

"Rolling" The Magazine of the Volvo Club of America page 13 says....

Ford tried to stop the development of the Volvo D5 and were to use the Ford V6 diesel in the S80. However Swedish engineers blew Ford out of the water specification wise and impressed Ford so much they gave it the thumbs up. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

Twin turbochargers for a phased HP boost all along the power curve with ceramic glow plugs which ignite to 1,000 degrees C. in two seconds and piezoelectric fuel injectors (haven't seem them before).

In addition it is produced cheaper than the Ford engine.

Now that is Swedish know how. Bring it on.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Re: Volvo finally bringing a diesel to the US? (stev vanveit)

Quote, originally posted by stev vanveit »
Now that is Swedish know how. Bring it on.

Just not to the USA.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Re: (VolvoMax)

Quote, originally posted by VolvoMax »
New 2.0L engine IIRC.

The Ford engine? Rah.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Re: (VolvoMax)

Quote, originally posted by VolvoMax »
New 2.0L engine IIRC.

S60 due fall 2010

regarding this new 2.0L, isn't it supposed to be a gas engine with direct injection?

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Re: Volvo finally bringing a diesel to the US? (rfkuehn)

If the twin turbo D5 isn't coming to North America why not pop in the Ford V6 as an interim measure or at least until it meets North American regulations - assuming this is the reasoning for the twin turbo D5 denial.

Is the 1.6L and the 2.0L turbo charged? Would not the Ford V6 be a better power plant spec & performance wise?

Confusing.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Re: (Shimon)

So the 1.6L Flexifuel is the engine of choice conditioning North Americans brain set for the near future...

Volvo News
Volvo ReCharge Concept
Sep 10, 2007, 15:36

Volvo Electric Car ReCharge Concept hybrid In-Wheel Motor EV
1 min 15 sec - 6 Sep 2007 -
Learn more about EVs electric-vehicles-cars-bikes.blogspot.com Volvo Electric Car ReCharge Concept hybrid In-Wheel Motor EVOnly about 15% of ...
-

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Ecoboost Ford units? Info from Skovde suggests Volvo is working on and going to launch a new engine family of their own design also to be built in Skovde. Two 4 cylinder petrols (1.6 and 2.0) and two diesels (1.6 and 2.0). D5, SI6 DI to compliment the range. Given current trends, a 3 or 4 cylinder 1 litre would also be a good move for smaller cars (other manufacturers are working on similar programmes. Ford's 1.6 Ecoboost, 2.0 Ecoboost etc presentation which also detailed Volvos SI6 DI and the Jaguar DI V8 also detailed a 3 cylinder 1 litre engine for the new Focus). So, Volvo prob needs a litre engine too.

The V8 DI would be really nice given its output being closer to a V10. But, unless Volvo is very much encouraged by its new owners to make the DI V8 for the S80, XC90 and larger Volvo coupe (C90) plus some other uses elsewhere within the group (ie new owners wanting a Lambo competitor with Volvo parts and a new brand), then I dont see it making it......

·
Registered
8,839 Posts
Re: (rfkuehn)

Quote, originally posted by rfkuehn »

The Ford engine? Rah.

NO. New Volvo engine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts