SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I just returned from OSD and started thinking about extended service plans and the Tire & Wheel Plan but have a few questions I was hoping you guys might know.

For the Tire & Wheel protection plan (I think I'm going to go with the superior plan) in the terms and conditions, it has a line under Deluxe Coverage subheading that states "In the event of road hazard damage, bring YOUR vehicle to YOUR selling dealer." Is this coverage limited to the selling dealer so if I were to purchase from Stiengold, would I have to have any damage to the wheels or paintless dent removal repaired by Stiengold and not my local dealer? Or is the Nationwide to all Volvo dealers?

Generally speaking are the VIP plans worth it for extended mechanical coverage? I was looking at the 7 year, 100k platinum $0 deductable plan to provide myself peace of mind with all the electronics/sensors, being a newer vehicle platform and engine, just wanted to be safe but Wondering if anyone has experience with the plans?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
440 Posts
We bought our XC40 last year and didn’t buy any of the extended service contracts of wheel/tire packages. I’ve never purchased those things for the Audi/VWs we have owned over the last 25 years and we keep our vehicles for at least 10 years. Never had a need for them.

If our XC40 can’t make it to 100,000 miles without major repairs, it will be one and done for us and Volvo.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I bought the 7year, 100,000 mile VIP Platinum warranty. It's an exclusionary warranty so if it's not on their list, it's covered. I can just see that Sensus screen go out on me or something like that. The parts alone could be a really lot of money never mind the labor to install it. With new cars like the XC40 on a new platform, I figured that they might still be shaking out some of the bugs. Having the peace of mind is well worth the extra money I spent on it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi All,

I am in the same boat considering the extended mechanical coverage. We have a 2018 XC90 T6 and a 2019 XC40 T5. I understand the motivation to purchase the extended warranties for peace of mind, but am curious in a general sense if most Volvos built since 2016 have historically been troublesome. I've owned Acura and Honda and never really had any problems with the vehicles until well beyond 6 or 7 years of ownership and even then, nothing major. I do hope to keep each vehicle for at least 6 or 7 years.

Any suggestions or feedback is appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I had my 11 S60 for 7 years and no real issues... Not sure about my 19 XC40 RD with the 4cyl. I'll have to evaluate if I think we need the extended warranty before the original warranty expires.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Considering that ALL luxury cars nose dive in price, an extended warranty could not only provide a little peace of mind but also help in the re-sale value. My question is, whether to get it thru Volvo or a 3rd party?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Are extended warranties transferable to another party? I've never seen an ad for a used vehicle with an extended warranty from an individual. its not something I think would increase resale value.

People get peace of mind in different ways. I get more peace of mind from having money in the bank instead of giving it to a third party in case my vehicle needs a repair that they will cover.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Are extended warranties transferable to another party? I've never seen an ad for a used vehicle with an extended warranty from an individual. its not something I think would increase resale value.

People get peace of mind in different ways. I get more peace of mind from having money in the bank instead of giving it to a third party in case my vehicle needs a repair that they will cover.
I know what you are saying but, it WILL need repairs if you are planning ownership for the long run and since its a Volvo it will be as expensive as an Audi.

Warranties are transferable but just like everything else you need to read the fine print and have the salesman highlight that area of the contract, right at the time of the sales pitch.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I know what you are saying but, it WILL need repairs if you are planning ownership for the long run and since its a Volvo it will be as expensive as an Audi.

Warranties are transferable but just like everything else you need to read the fine print and have the salesman highlight that area of the contract, right at the time of the sales pitch.
I’ve owned Audi/VWs for over 25 years and each one was at least 10 years old before I sold it. Never would have needed an extended warranty for any of them. The extended warranties can only work for a small percentage of buyers. If every contract paid out more than it took in for premiums, the insurance company wouldn’t have much of a business. On top of the pay outs for repairs, the insurance company has to pay out the commissions to the salespeople.

If the Volvo XC40 I bought last year can’t go 10 years and over 100,000 miles without major repairs, it will be one and done with me and Volvo.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I keep going back and forth on this because it is an expensive vehicle with a lot of complicated systems but the upfront cost of $2200 or so is a nice chunk that could be put aside to cover future repairs that would inevitably be expensive because it's a Volvo. I'm really conflicted because I've never owned a car quite this expensive and worry about the repair bills down the line.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I keep going back and forth on this because it is an expensive vehicle with a lot of complicated systems but the upfront cost of $2200 or so is a nice chunk that could be put aside to cover future repairs that would inevitably be expensive because it's a Volvo. I'm really conflicted because I've never owned a car quite this expensive and worry about the repair bills down the line.

I suggest you do a little research on the XC90 and XC60 to see what are the most common part failures since they share so many things with the XC40, just to get an idea. Best to find the highest failure rates and the average time it takes for them to fail.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts