SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my lower back and I are disappointed that this isn't closer in proportions & ride height to the Escape. Any ideas why Volvo went this route? Disappointed... Guess we'll wait for SPA...

·
Registered
274 Posts
My guess is that they're trying to be part of a niche of cars like the Audi A4 allroad; cars raised an inch or two, and labeled a crossover with "rugged" looking cladding.
They're more or less closer to hatchbacks or small wagons than actual crossovers like the XC60, Murano, Rogue, X3, and FX; hell even these cars are only meant for soft trails.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I've heard back issues used by the wives of co-workers as an excuse to sell a perfectly fine sedan to buy a SUV. I don't quite understand how sitting higher above the road affects one's back especially considering generally how well regarded Volvo's seats are.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I've heard back issues used by the wives of co-workers as an excuse to sell a perfectly fine sedan to buy a SUV. I don't quite understand how sitting higher above the road affects one's back especially considering generally how well regarded Volvo's seats are.
+1

Volvo seats are amazing.
my 2cents: The SUV things must be a status thing or go with the fad BS that so notorious with people these days. If one doesn't need the SUV, don't get it, save some $$$, and save time finding parking spots parking a bloated/over-sized gas gargling hunk of metal.

But then I'm biased towards small cars.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Basically a raised seating position makes for easier entry/exit, you don't have to drop down into the vehicle nor climb up & out of it. Plus, the upright seating position changes the geometry of where your legs are relative to your lower back (e.g. upright dining room chair vs. reclined lounge chair). I've been sitting on various bolsters since my lower 20's, trust me it can make a big difference.

Really wish Volvo had done to the Escape to get the XC40 as it did to the Focus to get the V40. Oh well...

·
Registered
397 Posts
Comes from 2 things, kind of already mentioned. The getting in and out, if you had a really bad back it's much easier to turn and stand up from a crossover or otherwise raised car. Also most crossovers have a slightly higher position with relation to the legs. Cars, all things being equal will "usually" have a lower seat which for most folks causes a more anterior pelvic tilt, which feels nice with good lumbar support. I think in volvos though this is less drastic than in many other brands though(except the xc90 is quite upright seating). Which feels better for YOU depends on your back condition. Often bulging discs like anterior pelvic tilt/lower seat but occasionally (usually full herniations with sciatica) a more posterior tilt with less lumbar support will feel better. For me, without a "bad" back, my c30 feels much more comfortable and supportive and i like the lower position relative to how I felt in my xc60, but it is harder to get out of. For my patients I tell them the try both with good posture and lumbar support fully cranked up and sit for a bit. They are often surprised cars can feel better than their SUVs. But for most the ease of entry and exit is more important than comfort while actually driving. And it really depends on you anatomy and condition. Long story short, don't assume suv's will be more comfortable to actually drive when configured well even if they are easier to get out of.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts