SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Worth repeating this thread from the XC60 Spa forum. If you didn’t get your free software update, you will now pay for it. Anyone know the name and contact info for the Volvo USA executive responsible for hearing complaints about this?

Sorry to say but Volvo has decided to stop reimbursing dealerships for updating software during services. This means no more free software. HOWEVER, each dealership is different and may still do it (at the cost of the technicians time AKA free) but I highly doubt it. Nobody works for free :thumbdown:

After careful analysis VCUSA has determined there has not been adequate upside to service retention or customer satisfaction as a result of this goodwill. To date, less than half of the cars eligible for the upgrade are getting it. In addition, we will be removing Complimentary Software updates from our suite of customer promises under the Service by Volvo umbrella. Effective August 1, 2019 Volvo Car USA will cease labor reimbursement associated with the complimentary Service 2.0 software update.

Do NOT ASK ME WHY.... I DO NOT KNOW ANYTHING ELSE!!

I recommend writing Volvo Cars USA and express your concern/anger/disappointment as I feel the same as you
https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?603581-No-more-free-software-updates

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
The updates are way less relevant for P3 models. They are much, much less frequent and aren't fixing problems you'll usually see. The SPA and CMA cars are updated very often and are more software dependent.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The updates are way less relevant for P3 models. They are much, much less frequent and aren't fixing problems you'll usually see. The SPA and CMA cars are updated very often and are more software dependent.
The low battery discharge and parasitic draw have been discussed in many P3 threads. The 2.0 software upgrade and the RDAR update have been the usual action taken by Volvo service depts, along with replacing the battery. The updates were free to some owners while others have been charged.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
The RDAR problem was pretty early on. I don't think there are many out there that haven't been fixed. I don't think I've seen one in 4 years or longer and I work on these every day. I'm not sure if the 2.0 includes the RDAR. On P3 cars, the 2.0 update does not update every module that needs updating like it does on SPA and CMA cars.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I’m sure you are correct, but that’s partly the point of posting here. There are still some P3 cars that were not updated. My 2014, for example, was purchased last year, used with 30K. There have been a half dozen other posts since then by owners also discovering the low battery warning and dealers claiming they never heard of the problem. Meaning, diagnostic fees get charged. Like one post a couple weeks ago, the owner was charged for many things, including the software updates, to the tune of $1100.

One reason the updates were never done appears to be that dealers simply replaced the battery under warranty whenever customers complained. Now those cars are out of warranty and the owners or second owners are realizing the car had problems that were never completely resolved.

FYI, I appreciate you and other techs giving your insights on this forum.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
If a car out of warranty has the RDAR issue, the dealer isn't supposed to perform the Service 2.0 update to fix it.

Not sure what was quoted for $1100, but I'm pretty sure you can bypass the RDAR for less if you don't want satellite radio

·
Registered
915 Posts
If a car out of warranty has the RDAR issue, the dealer isn't supposed to perform the Service 2.0 update to fix it.

Not sure what was quoted for $1100, but I'm pretty sure you can bypass the RDAR for less if you don't want satellite radio
As a Dealer Tech myself, thanks for all the great info. U are more patient than I, I long ago stopped on any of my brand forums.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts