SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ne-crashes-CAR-near-North-Weald-Airfield.html

Miracle escape as plane crashes into CAR and explodes in flames
This was the astonishing scene on an airfield after a two-seater plane crashed into a car, sparking a fireball.

Miraculously, the occupants of the Volvo XC60 escaped without a scratch – although the pilot of the AT3 plane suffered serious injuries.

By another stroke of luck, there was a volunteer fire crew already on site, and the blaze was quickly put out.

The driver and passenger of the car, who were leaving the North Weald Airfield, in Essex, managed to help the pilot out of the wreckage, following the crash at 2.25pm yesterday afternoon.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-near-North-Weald-Airfield.html#ixzz22FIBm3cc

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Wow...........simply amazing!!!

Thoughts David H. from a pilot/Volvo owners perspective????

·
Registered
45 Posts
And the people in the car even helped the pilot out? Wow! :O

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
This reminds me of a video review of a C30 where the reviewer says:

'And its a Volvo, which means you can drive a plane through it... and the plane gets hurt.' -4:05
Too funny, either way I am glad everyone survived. Check out the video below!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7m7IR1gFNo

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Too much information is missing from the article. The closest I could get to the actual crash was:

A fire service spokesman said: 'An onlooker who saw the incident told us that the plane appeared to come into land but immediately took off again, banking over the top of a hanger before coming back to try a second landing and clipping the back of a brand new Volvo with two people inside who were driving out of the airfield.'
Was the Volvo on the runway or a taxiway? From the picture I can't tell.

It sounds (and this could be wildly wrong) like the Volvo was on the runway. Possibly the pilot saw the car late during approach (or even aftr touching down), tried to go around, but was too low&slow (or had mechanical problems) and had to land anyway.

I imagine this is an "uncontrolled" or "pilot controlled" airport -- no tower giving instructions.

In general, the landing plane would have right of way -- at least that is the rule in the US.

If this was a "towered" or "controlled" airport, then the tower is responsible for runway crossing and landing clearances. If one of the vehicles did not have a clearance (i.e., the car made a wrong turn), then it is a "runway incursion" and the aviation authorities jump all over those.

Either way, the lawyers and insurance companies are going to have fun with this one. My gut feel for this is that the Volvo driver will be at fault.

·
Registered
121 Posts
My gut feel for this is that the Volvo driver will be at fault.
Since this happened over two years ago that has probably been sorted out by now.

AFAIR (it was discussed on Swedespeed at the time) the plane landed at a different runway than the one it was supposed to and that's how the crash happened...

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Got hit by a frickin plane!

new news to the less informed! :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts