SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am looking for center console wood trim for my 1999 C70 Coupe. After 23 years in the Australian sun it has now started to delaminate.

Cheers

Graham

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Try ebay or salvage yard. Those are your best sources for cheap used parts.

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
Try ebay or salvage yard. Those are your best sources for cheap used parts.
Australia seems like a horrible place to look for used parts - sun/heat damage, far distances between major cities and therefore junk yards.

OP, what type of wood grain do you have currently - birch, walnut, something else?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Australia seems like a horrible place to look for used parts - sun/heat damage, far distances between major cities and therefore junk yards.

OP, what type of wood grain do you have currently - birch, walnut, something else?
Mine is what they called red walnut in the original brochure. You are right, finding these type of parts in Australia is difficult because sun/heat damage. Been looking of both UK and US eBay sites but as these are now 23+ years old cars not much is coming into wreckers/breakers. I am also looking for right hand door panel in granite as the vinyl also de-laminates.

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
There hasn’t been many C70’s in the junk yards near me recently, but I’ll keep a look out. Some of the other members, like @bmdubya1198, frequent their local yards and might be able to pack and ship. How close to perfect do you want? As far as the delaminated door cards, that’s pretty standard here too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There hasn’t been many C70’s in the junk yards near me recently, but I’ll keep a look out. Some of the other members, like @bmdubya1198, frequent their local yards and might be able to pack and ship. How close to perfect do you want? As for as the delaminated door cards, that’s pretty standard here too.
As new would great but so would winning the lottery.. but I doubt either will happen! The main thing is that the part is not chipped or de-laminating. I have a person who has restored these before (for a Jag) so he is confident he can get piano finish if the parts are in good condition.Has any one come up with answer to restoring de-laminating door cards?
Attached is photo taken a couple of weeks ago to high country in southern Australia (it is going into winter here). 5000kms over 3 weeks and the car ran like new

Attachments

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
As new would great but so would winning the lottery.. but I doubt either will happen! The main thing is that the part is not chipped or de-laminating. I have a person who has restored these before (for a Jag) so he is confident he can get piano finish if the parts are in good condition.Has any one come up with answer to restoring de-laminating door cards?
Attached is photo taken a couple of weeks ago to high country in southern Australia (it is going into winter here). 5000kms over 3 weeks and the car ran like new
Nice! Cassis purple! Love it!

The standard solution for S70/V70 is the R-style stitched cards. Apparently, they exist for C70’s too but are extremely rare. If it were me, I’d just use a headliner aerosol spray adhesive to reattach your current vinyl or for a replacement fabric/vinyl of your choice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wish it was that easy. When Volvo made these cards they were pressure molded using special die. If you try to insert glue from behind and then try and push it back in shape, all you are going to get is creases. With the V/S70 you can stitch in new material to the edge of the card. The C70 it is different shape and the edge of the card does not give you a line to stitch to. Have a look at the photos and you can see difference

Attachments

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
Yeah, I’m completely familiar with the differences between the S70/V70 and the C70 cards, LOL.

Again, rumor has it that the stitched ones do exist for the C70 but are extremely rare.

As far as doing them over with glue, it’s definitely been done. This thread has one person’s attempt, and incidentally includes the image you sampled above.

This one involves paint and doesn’t look as nice but could probably be executed better.

There is also a company (in Sweden?) that sells a product that tightens the slack with an insert. I can’t find a link now, so they might not offer them anymore.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Would love to know how the stitched insert is fitted. I did find that company in Sweden but they no longer make the inserts. I will keep looking

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just an update that might help some else. Found the parts I needed at:
Voluparts Inc
751 Trabert Ave NW, Atlanta, GA 30318, United States
Ph: +18882804057
I found Bill Eidson helpful and easy to deal with.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts