SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from a trip where I rented a fully loaded 2016 Chevy Tahoe. I have to say, I was very impressed by the vehicle, and in may ways it puts our XC90 to shame. Unlike Volvo, GM appears to fully understand the needs of the modern family. The vehicle had no less than six USB ports, a built-in wireless Qi charging pad, a power telescoping wheel, power third row seats, and 4G LTE Wi-Fi. Granted the Tahoe is probably just as expensive as the XC90, but Chevy is hardly a luxury brand. Considering the market that Volvo is trying to compete in, there is simply no excuse for these omissions. Don't get me wrong. I absolutely love our XC90, but Volvo really needs to get their act together when it comes to the convenience features people expect in a vehicle in this price range.

Here are some photos of the Tahoe ...

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
The need of a modern family is 6 USB ports ? :D For what ? :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
I think you are correct in some of your points. I had a 14 Jeep Grand Cherokee "Overland", bought new. The ride was extremely harsh on a very long trip driving for 12-13 hours and no where compared to Volvo's ride. Was going to buy a Momentum that was at the dealership but bought a pretty loaded 15.5 XC70 T6 AWD with Polestar tune and very happy with it but the Jeep did have "far" more convenience features as you pointed out. Was contemplating on getting rid of a 2013 Subaru Outback in 16 and buying an XC90 to add to the fleet :) but have some doubts about it as far as issues on this board and the convenience features, IMO, should have like one's you described. Made 2 long trips with the Volvo, 1,500 miles from WA. to AZ. and then at Xmas AZ. to N. Ca. round trip about 1,500 miles. Very comfortable ride, great power and roomy for Wife, Me and 2 Chihuahuas plus the XMas gifts in the back area. Driving mostly 4-8 mph over posted speed limits, got 26+ mpg running 89 octane gasoline. One thing Volvo is missing is more storage space in the front seat area also for water bottle, coffee container, electronics etc. All around, best road vehicle I have with power, space, comfort etc. Have a 13 RAM 1500 C.C. Hemi that has all the room and features but much larger to handle for parking etc where I go for summer months.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I was considering a GMC Denali Yukon before I committed to the Volvo and agree that the features above are pluses.

But the quality of the materials in the Yukon/Tahoe compared to the Volvo are night and day. The Chevy just feels cheap on the interior and I found the third row seat not that more useful than compared to the Volvo.

The interior quality of the Volvo was what sold it for me as well as reading the latest reliability reviews for the Tahoe/Yukon where they got slaughtered. We shall see how the Volvo fares in the next year.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I agree that the XC90 needs an extra USB port, but 6 ports and that cheesy proprietary charging thing is not something I would want. It reminds me of people always complaining about the lack of cupholders in a BMW.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was considering a GMC Denali Yukon before I committed to the Volvo and agree that the features above are pluses.

But the quality of the materials in the Yukon/Tahoe compared to the Volvo are night and day. The Chevy just feels cheap on the interior and I found the third row seat not that more useful than compared to the Volvo.
Without question, the interior of the Volvo absolutely blows away the interior of the Chevy. Not only is the fit and finish superior, but the third row in the Tahoe is a joke compared to the XC90. My 11-year-old daughter could barely fit back there. It's just a shame that we have to sacrifice some nice convenience features when purchasing a flagship luxury vehicle like the XC90. Volvo designed an awesome car, but they were very shortsighted in many ways. Hopefully, these things will be addressed in future model years.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree that the XC90 needs an extra USB port, but 6 ports and that cheesy proprietary charging thing is not something I would want.
It's not proprietary. Qi is the standard. Many new phones support wireless charging right out of the box. I just plopped my stock Galaxy S6 down on the Tahoe's charging pad, and it worked perfectly. It's a very handy feature.

·
Registered
218 Posts
While you noted that Chevy is hardly a luxury brand, a loaded Tahoe costs the same or more than the a loaded XC90! While I am fairly confident that I could get 10-15% off sticker for the Tahoe, maybe some of that cost went into more USB ports! Their luxury version (GMC Yukon) certianly tops the price of the T6 XC90.

·
Registered
478 Posts
If the use case for more USB ports is charging devices, multi port chargers that plug into a 12 Volt outlet are cheap and plentiful.

·
Registered
180 Posts
While you noted that Chevy is hardly a luxury brand, a loaded Tahoe costs the same or more than the a loaded XC90! While I am fairly confident that I could get 10-15% off sticker for the Tahoe, maybe some of that cost went into more USB ports! Their luxury version (GMC Yukon) certianly tops the price of the T6 XC90.
The Yukon Denali I was eyeing was about $73k and with the Costco pricing + $700 gift card on top of that the price point was the same as the XC90.

I'm happy with the XC90, but miss the roominess/auto tumble fold flat third row of my unpopular Ford Flex, as well as Sync voice input which was simply AMAZING. I've accepted that all cars will have their drawbacks.

Btw, I've purchased two of these USB adapters to plug into the cigarette lighters on the XC90. Now I'm up to 5 ports, one shy of the Tahoe. =) And yes, the wooden cover for the cup holder/lighter will close over them when not in use. Winning!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00VJ0I3KE/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
487 Posts
No thanks.

I think I will keep my Volvo. No way is that worth 6USB's & LTE for a vehicle that is that unwieldy inside and out (for me anyway). I know, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but that is one ugly interior. I agree LTE would be nice, but I'll take my interior, my gas mileage, my handling and the perfect size of the XC90 any day! I added 1 extra USB to the front of mine (in the 12V) and I never even use it. I also have LTE on my plan already, so not really a deal-breaker at all.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The new USB-C connector is appearing on lots of computers now and will eventually replace the current USB connector for charging phones. At that point, the tech in cars with lots of old-style USB connectors will probably look very outdated (remember cassette tape players in cars? CDs?), and you'll need a box of adapters to charge your phones. You'll be able to find cheap 12-volt USB power adapters for a long time, and the first 12-Volt adapters for USB-C started appearing last summer.

The single USB in the XC-90 is there to let you put your music library on a memory stick and play it through Sensus, or for connection to CarPlay. But we'll still need a USB hub if we want to do *both* CarPlay and connect a memory stick full of high-quality, lossless audio files to rock the B&W sound system :D

I think that Volvo has preserved the resale value of our cars by minimizing the use of a technology (USB) that will soon be outdated.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Yeah, Volvo could add in more USB ports and the Qi charging is genuinely a nice thing for phones that do support it, however, the Tahoe is pretty much the worst large SUV you can buy. Cramped interior, terrible ride and yet floaty feeling all at the same time. It's no wonder 90% of new Tahoes that I see at work are rentals.... Reviews haven't been pretty either.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No thanks.

I think I will keep my Volvo. No way is that worth 6USB's & LTE for a vehicle that is that unwieldy inside and out (for me anyway). I know, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but that is one ugly interior. I agree LTE would be nice, but I'll take my interior, my gas mileage, my handling and the perfect size of the XC90 any day! I added 1 extra USB to the front of mine (in the 12V) and I never even use it. I also have LTE on my plan already, so not really a deal-breaker at all.
Yeah, Volvo could add in more USB ports and the Qi charging is genuinely a nice thing for phones that do support it, however, the Tahoe is pretty much the worst large SUV you can buy. Cramped interior, terrible ride and yet floaty feeling all at the same time. It's no wonder 90% of new Tahoes that I see at work are rentals.... Reviews haven't been pretty either.
I think you guys are missing the main point I was trying to make with this thread. I was in no way, shape or form trying to argue that the Tahoe is a better vehicle. The Volvo looks better, is built better, rides better, has a 1000 times nicer interior, etc ... I would never even consider trading my XC90 for a Tahoe, and I certainly don't regret buying it. I was merely pointing out how disappointing it is that the Chevy offers all these options and the Volvo doesn't. The extra USB ports, Qi charger and 4G LTE are all nice features, but certainly not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things. It is inexcusable, however, for the Volvo not to offer such standard luxury features as a power telescoping wheel and power third row seats.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I think you guys are missing the main point I was trying to make with this thread. I was in no way, shape or form trying to argue that the Tahoe is a better vehicle. The Volvo looks better, is built better, rides better, has a 1000 times nicer interior, etc ... I would never even consider trading my XC90 for a Tahoe, and I certainly don't regret buying it. I was merely pointing out how disappointing it is that the Chevy offers all these options and the Volvo doesn't. The extra USB ports, Qi charger and 4G LTE are all nice features, but certainly not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things. It is inexcusable, however, for the Volvo not to offer such standard luxury features as a power telescoping wheel and power third row seats.
It's called Brand-splaining. Instead of accepting a deficiency in the beloved XC90, some people will instead highlight the issues of other cars when it has nothing to do with what is being discussed. You clearly were talking about some things that could be added to the XC90 to improve it, but instead of accepting that, others decided to "attack" the Tahoe, which I think everyone can agree is an inferior SUV. Someone even went to the extent of saying that the lack of USB ports is done purposely to "preserve the resale value" which may just be the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I drive a 2015 Yukon XL Denali, wife drives our 2016 XC90 Inscription. Both are great vehicles for their intended purpose. We drive the XC90 around on the weekends when we need to go somewhere local, the Denali is our road trip vehicle. Luckily my Denali has not shown any of the issues that have been reported (pressure drone in 4-cylinder mode, etc.), but neither has our XC90 (leaking sunroof). Coming from a long line of BMWs, I never thought I would purchase a Volvo, let alone a GMC but we had twins this year so our family unexpectedly grew to 5. Both vehicles have been great so far. That being said, the Denali has a ton of standard features, including power adjustable pedals, so you can adjust their position using a rocker switch on the dash.
When I was looking at the XC90, I asked why it didn't have power folding 3rd row seats. The salesperson said nothing on the market has those yet. I showed him the third row in the Yukon.

·
Banned
763 Posts
There are definitely things superior about the Tahoe (or any vehicle) to the XC90, just as the XC90 has things superior about it to any given vehicle. No one vehicle (or computer, or camera, or guitar, or...anything) is the best at everything.

And before anyone asks, off the bat, a quick example of an area where I'd rather own a Tahoe than an XC90 is in cost of maintenance. And a quick example of an area where I'd rather own an XC90 than a Tahoe is in roof strength.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.