SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a "low coolant" warning on my 2017 V60 this morning. When I went to top it off with some Pentosin antifreeze from my previous Volvo, I noticed the older coolant is blue, while the stuff in the car is green. It came from the factory that way. No auto parts stores carry green Volvo coolant and the closest dealer is 30 miles away.

Some internet research suggests that Volvo made some minor tweaks to the formulation and the new green coolant is backward-compatible with the older blue stuff.

Can someone confirm this? I'd like to top off with the blue stuff.

So what color will it be then? Teal? Aqua? Turquoise?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Green is what we use at the dealer, and what comes in the Volvo branded bottle.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Ah, glad this got asked. I was just about to ask this myself. My local shops have Pentosin and Peak Euro blue. Color worried me, but will go with the blue stuff to top off my coolant today, which is low (just below the MIN line).

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
I should clarify... The green Volvo coolant is the same as the blue Volvo coolant. Can't comment on aftermarket brands.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Volvo made this more confusing than it needed to be. From what we learned here, which is corroborated by information I found on other sites, Volvo blue and Volvo green are similar and compatible. I believe these are known as "HOAT" coolants (hybrid organic-acid technology). Shoulda just made the new stuff blue, too.

HOAT coolants are NOT compaible with the old-school "convenional" coolants, which, unfortunately, tend to be green.

Bottom line; Pay attention to the manufacturer's recommendations and the label on the bottle. Color is not necessarily a good indicator of compatibility or non-compatibility.

·
Registered
397 Posts
When in doubt flush it all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
722 Posts
Volvo made this more confusing than it needed to be. From what we learned here, which is corroborated by information I found on other sites, Volvo blue and Volvo green are similar and compatible. I believe these are known as "HOAT" coolants (hybrid organic-acid technology). Shoulda just made the new stuff blue, too.

HOAT coolants are NOT compaible with the old-school "convenional" coolants, which, unfortunately, tend to be green.

Bottom line; Pay attention to the manufacturer's recommendations and the label on the bottle. Color is not necessarily a good indicator of compatibility or non-compatibility.
Do you know when this change occurred?

I ask because Pentosin still lists Pentofrost NF as the appropriate coolant for Volvos, not their newer HOAT Pentofrost E.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
There's a bulletin dated 11/13/15 saying the new Volvo coolant is fully compatible with the previous coolant.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts