SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just read on Volvo's website that the maintenance intervals for Safe + Secure will be every 10,000 miles. I know some people were carping about the 7,500 mile intervals so I'm curious to see the reactions to this.

The maintenance program covers the first five scheduled services at no charge on model year 2013 vehicles. The service schedule is 10,000, 20,000, 30,000, 40,000, and 50,000 miles.
http://www.volvocars.com/us/sales-services/sales/safeandsecure/Pages/CFSM.aspx

·
Registered
303 Posts
I imagine that Volvo will almost certainly switch from dino to synthetic.

I don't have a problem, in principle, with 7500 mile changes. I'm sure oil analysis says that Mobile 1 can last that long under ideal conditions. I *do* have a problem with 7500 mile oil changes on dino. If, however, you drive in stop and go conditions or for only short distances, I don't think that either interval is right for your car.

That being said, I'm a 6 month/5,000 mile man...just to be sure.

·
Registered
329 Posts
The interval change is almost certainly due to a change to full synth oil

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
The interval change is almost certainly due to a change to full synth oil
Volvo was touting this as one of the significant improvements for the early release XC90. The real question is whether the dealers will now only stock full synthetic or will discern between who gets the dino oil (ie 2012 and earlier S&S) versus the semi/full synthetic (2013+ S&S). I see the potential for a lot of confusion on this one versus the manufacturers that have been full synthetic for quite awhile.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Hopefully Volvo will switch to Amsoil? :D One can only hope. (Amsoil, is rated as the best performing fully synthetic motor oil by various reviews though it is more expensive and more difficult to find. Mobile 1's Full synthetic comes in at number two).

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hopefully Volvo will switch to Amsoil? :D One can only hope. (Amsoil, is rated as the best performing fully synthetic motor oil by various reviews though it is more expensive and more difficult to find. Mobile 1's Full synthetic comes in at number two).
How do you find Amsoil? I use Mobil-1 Extended, but would consider Amsoil if it was reasonably easy to get.

Volvo recommends Castrol. But I don't put a lot of stock in any manufacturer's choice since it is certainly influnced massively by money - Castrol, Mobil-1, Pennzoil, etc. pay marketing dollars and/or discount the oil they supply for factory fills. Then buyers say "Hey, Porsche uses Mobil-1 so it must be cool. I'll use Mobil-1." Then said oil brand get years of sales in return for the cost of aligning with a car manufacturer. (And the fear of voiding a warranty) Of course, the automotive engineers will have their say in the choice of oil but the money/marketing folks usually win out. If Mobil-1 comes to Volvo with a better deal, suddenly they will "recommend" Mobil-1. Always follow the money. This is all speculation on my part so please don't quote me.

And I would bet that the switch to 10k intervals with synth is cheaper for Volvo than 7.5k intervals with dino. (Including labor and materials.)

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Volvo was touting this as one of the significant improvements for the early release XC90. The real question is whether the dealers will now only stock full synthetic or will discern between who gets the dino oil (ie 2012 and earlier S&S) versus the semi/full synthetic (2013+ S&S). I see the potential for a lot of confusion on this one versus the manufacturers that have been full synthetic for quite awhile.
Dealers are now required to have two tanks for oil: 1 Regular and 1 Full Synthetic

My guess is that only 2013 and up will get the synthetic and everyone else will get regular.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Though 10,000 mile service intervals may seem lengthy, BMW now goes far longer than that. My 2011 335 has *never* been in for service since the day I picked it up. It currently has just shy of 15,000 miles on the odometer, and it's 16 months old. The computer says it's not due for the first oil change for another 7,000 miles or 6 months. That'll be 22,000 miles on the factory fill!

Who says all European cars are high maintenance? ;)

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Though 10,000 mile service intervals may seem lengthy, BMW now goes far longer than that. My 2011 335 has *never* been in for service since the day I picked it up. It currently has just shy of 15,000 miles on the odometer, and it's 16 months old. The computer says it's not due for the first oil change for another 7,000 miles or 6 months. That'll be 22,000 miles on the factory fill!

If I owned that car, the oil would have been changed long ago........but since you lease, who cares (a Blackstone analysis would be interesting though). I don't care what oil you're using but that is too far for a turbo. Do you ever wonder why BMW removed the dipstick? Hint.....so you can't see the sludge. IMO< yet another example of a manufacturer that wants to get you through the warranty period as cheaply as possible.

·
Registered
708 Posts
If I owned that car, the oil would have been changed long ago........but since you lease, who cares (a Blackstone analysis would be interesting though). I don't care what oil you're using but that is too far for a turbo. Do you ever wonder why BMW removed the dipstick? Hint.....so you can't see the sludge. IMO< yet another example of a manufacturer that wants to get you through the warranty period as cheaply as possible.
The funny things is that Volvo service intervals in Europe are every 30,000kms / 18,000miles

·
Registered
459 Posts
Every study I've ever read has reached the same conclusion: frequent oil changes do not effect the life or function of the engine in any measurable way. As long as you're not low on oil, and the oil is not fouled, it makes no difference how often you change the oil.

Years ago Consumer Reports did a one year study with NYC cabs ... one group had the oil changed every 2500 miles, the other every 50,000 miles. The engines were then stripped and examined for wear. There were no measurable differences between the two groups. The conclusion was that as long as you kept the oil level up, it really didn't matter.

I'll stay with the 7500 mile recommendation, but I won't change my oil any more than that.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Every study I've ever read has reached the same conclusion: frequent oil changes do not effect the life or function of the engine in any measurable way. As long as you're not low on oil, and the oil is not fouled, it makes no difference how often you change the oil.

Years ago Consumer Reports did a one year study with NYC cabs ... one group had the oil changed every 2500 miles, the other every 50,000 miles. The engines were then stripped and examined for wear. There were no measurable differences between the two groups. The conclusion was that as long as you kept the oil level up, it really didn't matter.

I'll stay with the 7500 mile recommendation, but I won't change my oil any more than that.
Does the type of oil matter (dino, semi-synth, synth)? What did the study use?

·
Registered
712 Posts
Remember, in the US the word "Synthetic" doesn't mean anything. Most companies call their Group III oils (essentially ultra purified dino oil via a process called hydrocracking) "Synthetic." I would not use anything but a Group IV oil for much more than 5000 miles if I planned to keep the car past S&S.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Every 50,000 Miles! I don't believe it. The base oil might be fine but the additives would be toast, or rather sludge. Are you sure there's not an extra zero in that number? Any links to the study?

·
Registered
459 Posts
CR's study used standard oil. They didn't suggest you don't change your oil, only that most people change their oil too often.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Cabs don't have turbos. And most likely they were old-school engines without anything extreme about them - no high compression ratios, low power per liter numbers, 2 valves per cylinder, etc. I'm sure they were driven hard, being cabs and all, but the engines were about as basic as they come is my guess.

Newer engines are asking a lot of the oil. Personally I'm changing every 3-4k with Mobil-1 Extended. And like I've said before, our Porsche Cayenne interval is 20K! We took it up to about 19k for one change, then I read a bit more and talked to my shop and now we go 6k between changes. Of course, it has a non-turbo V8 that holds almost 2 gallons of oil.

How often you change your oil and what kind you use is akin to talking about religion in some circles! :cool:

·
Registered
339 Posts

ummmm, you're supposed to, and are entitled to, a free low mileage annual oil service every year. you should have had that done a year after your purchase date, or 4 months ago.

·
Registered
41 Posts
did the 7,500 mile oil change last week and they offered "synthetic" for an upcharge, they said sorry but Volvo won't pay for synthetic for 2012 and earlier. So I brought my own oil German Castrol 0w30 a true synthetic and I paid less than the upcharge for the "synthetic" they offer Mobil 1 5w30. by the way if you did want mobil 1 5w30 Costco was running a $10 instant rebate last week so if that deal is still on 6qt of Mobil 1 5w30 for $25.99, I think they also had 10w30 for the same deal.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts