SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came across this in my news feed ... how true is this? Does this affect OSD? If OSD is in the same city, have those who went to Gothenburg seen this or is it overblown?

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-07-11/volvo-ceo-says-company-may-leave-sweden-partle-due-rise-violent-crime

The CEO of Volvo warns that the company is considering moving its headquarters out of Sweden in the future, partly due to a rise in violent crime.

Håkan Samuelsson told a conference that the car maker was losing its appeal to foreign experts and engineers and further explained his concerns during an interview with SVD Näringsliv.

“We are building cars, we cannot solve the other problems, someone else must do that,” the CEO said, adding that it is becoming more difficult to attract workers due to Sweden’s worsening reputation.

“It’s definitely not helping when people read about shootings in Gothenburg and wonder if they really dare to move to Gothenburg,” said Samuelsson.

If the situation does not improve, the CEO warned that the company may even have to consider leaving Sweden in the future.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I've seen this story circulating only on some of the less reputable sites, like zerohedge, RT, and worst of all /pol/ on 4chan.

So I would take this with a VERY large grain of salt.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
this has to literally be fake news right? I mean have they seen Chicago south side lately?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Apparently he really said something like that, an interview in Svenska Dagbladet seems to be the original source. Background seems to be that they are uncertain whether they can find all the engineers they'll need for their switch to electric cars. The articles summary also mentioned that it's a decision that is still "far away".

·
Registered
926 Posts
Apparently he really said something like that, an interview in Svenska Dagbladet seems to be the original source. Background seems to be that they are uncertain whether they can find all the engineers they'll need for their switch to electric cars. The articles summary also mentioned that it's a decision that is still "far away".
Yep, the original interview (which you can't read without a subscription) does actually exist. But I would not rely on the sites that have picked up this angle of that interview to provide an accurate telling of it.

·
Registered
5,748 Posts
It’s actually published in Swedish business news so I wouldn’t rush to judgement on fake news.

Rising crime in Sweden hasn’t been well publicized outside of Sweden. In Sweden it’s causing a huge political uproar. I mean, grenade attacks and shootings, in Sweden.. who would think. But in the last five years or so it’s become a huge problem.

When I visit as a tourist crime is high on my list of concerns. I feel safer walking around Prague at night than Gothenburg.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The deadly violence has not really increased in Sweden but it has changed character to involve more shooting weapons and explosives and it's often related to gangs.

Skickat från min ONEPLUS A6003 via Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,748 Posts
The deadly violence has not really increased in Sweden but it has changed character to involve more shooting weapons and explosives and it's often related to gangs.

Actually fatalities have been rising and are now the highest in Scandinavia. That wasn’t the case prior. Sweden keeps excellent statistics on crime, though they stopped tracking if the criminal was an immigrant for fear of being racist. Sweden has a huge gang problem, primarily immigrant gangs, and they’re fighting turf wars over drugs and smuggling. The press has been keeping it quiet so as not to give anti-immigration political parties any fodder.

It’s all there, published by the government, if people just go look.

Sweden needs immigrants if it’s going to have a future. Bringing in hundreds of thousands and stuffing them into ghettos is only going to set Sweden back. These ghettos are where the most violent crime is.

The other Scandinavian countries assimilated their immigrants and they’re not having these issues. I think it will take the Swedes a few more years to admit they messed up. Their elections are starting to show that they’re beginning to realize what’s going on.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Statistics from the authorities...

It's been rising in the recent years but it's still lower than in the nineties.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
this has to literally be fake news right? I mean have they seen Chicago south side lately?
Was Tucker the last automaker to HQ in Chicago?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts