SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Administrator
55,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Volvo Cars, the premium car maker, has announced one of the automotive industry’s most comprehensive electrification strategies in which plug-in hybrids will be introduced across its entire range. It will develop an entirely new range of electrified smaller cars and build a fully electric car for sale by 2019.

As part of this new strategy, the Swedish car company said it expects electrified vehicles to account for up to 10 per cent of total car sales in the medium term.

The first element of the new electrification strategy involves the introduction of plug-in hybrid versions of its 90 series and 60 series larger cars, based on the company’s new Scalable Product Architecture. This process has already begun with the launch of the T8 Twin Engine All-Wheel Drive plug-in hybrid version of its new XC90 SUV and will continue with plug-in hybrid versions of the new S90 premium sedan and other forthcoming models.

Volvo Cars will also broaden the range of plug-in hybrid cars it offers with the introduction of a new front-wheel drive Twin Engine variant.

The Swedish car maker will further deepen its product offering with the introduction of an entirely new range of smaller 40 series cars based on its newly-developed Compact Modular Architecture (CMA), which, like SPA, has been designed from the outset for electrification. This makes Volvo Car Group one of very few car makers in the world with two brand new vehicle architectures designed to support both plug-in and pure electric powertrain configurations.

Lastly, Volvo Cars has confirmed that it will build an all-electric car for sale by 2019. Further details of this planned model will be released at a later date.

Håkan Samuelsson, President and CEO of Volvo Cars, said: “We believe that the time has come for electrified cars to cease being a niche technology and enter the mainstream. We are confident that in two years’ time, 10 per cent of Volvo’s global sales will be electrified cars.”

Volvo Cars believes that plug-in hybrid cars offer customers the best combination of efficiency, range and convenience.

For example, Volvo Cars’ XC90 T8 Twin Engine is one of the cleanest and most powerful 7-seater SUV on the market, delivering over 407 horsepower equivalent and just 49 g/km CO2, plus a pure electric range of 43 km, an industry leading 2.1 l/100 km in fuel economy and reaching 100 km/h in just 5.6 seconds.

This combination of power, efficiency and environmental friendliness will be the hall marks of all of Volvo Cars’ forthcoming electrified models.

“We have learned a lot about how people use cars with electrification thanks to our current product offer,” said Dr Peter Mertens, Senior Vice President for Research and Development. “Our research has shown that people are driving our Twin Engine cars in electric mode around 50 per cent of the time, meaning our plug-in hybrids already offer a real alternative to conventional powertrain systems.”

“With around 40 years of experience in the field of electrification, Volvo Cars has learned a lot about battery management along the way, delivering the best range per kilowatt hour in the industry. We have come to a point where the cost versus benefit calculation for electrification is now almost positive. Battery technology has improved, costs are going down, and public acceptance of electrification is no longer a question,” Dr Mertens added.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
2019 for an all electric car is none too soon. The age of electrification is coming faster than we think. Maybe hybrids will be the big sellers until the charging infrastructure is in place and charging time falls some more (and prices fall), but all electric is upon us.

·
Registered
16,049 Posts
2019 for an all electric car is none too soon. The age of electrification is coming faster than we think. Maybe hybrids will be the big sellers until the charging infrastructure is in place and charging time falls some more (and prices fall), but all electric is upon us.
unless Toyota is right about hydrogen....

in California, the public energy utility (PG&E) is planning a huge rollout of charging stations, including the superfast style. That will go a long way to easing people's range anxiety fears, and more folks will be buying electric.

Still, I would not discount Toyota too quickly.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
unless Toyota is right about hydrogen....

in California, the public energy utility (PG&E) is planning a huge rollout of charging stations, including the superfast style. That will go a long way to easing people's range anxiety fears, and more folks will be buying electric.

Still, I would not discount Toyota too quickly.
I wouldn't risk stuck in line waiting for charging anywhere anytime. No one can save you with a gallon of gasoline like today.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I am happy to see Volvo actually talking about Electrification but I am far from impressed. Building EV's out of modular gas platforms is being stuck in old thinking. You have so many advantages afforded by EV's with regards to packaging that you are giving up by going with a platform that is designed around a gas engine and transmission tunnel. I also am concerned about what the CMA plug in hybrids are going to really be able to offer if the largest SPA offering XC90 has an anemic ~26 mile Electric range.

Side note, does anyone have any resources to back up this claim, "With around 40 years of experience in the field of electrification"? I don't know anything of Volvo being involved with EV's before 2010.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Building EV's out of modular gas platforms is being stuck in old thinking.
But the CMA has been designed with EV in mind. So I guess it is a modular electric/hybrid/gas platform. Of course it is not as optimal as a dedicated electric platform. But if you don't have unlimited resources you have to make compromises. Especially since Volvo believes that "only" 10% of all Volvo cars will be electric in 2020.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Thanks medels!

That's a fantastic presentation.

The thing with electrification is you need to consider where the electricity is generated from. Electric cars solve the OEMs average fuel consumption and emissions problem and they are clean at the point of use. But what is used for the electricity production? Not the OEMs problem but in reality this broader view needs to be considered before governments push for EVs or electrification generally.

The cost of fossil fuels, dwindling reserves and air pollution are all causing legislation to push OEMs towards electric vehicles. They wouldn't if the legislation didn't back them into a corner (e.g. emissions and fuel consumption standards). Hence the rise in hybrids due to fuel costs and now everyone has to hybridize to meet the fleet average.

If vehicles are to transition to electric powertrains there needs to be a massive shift in the renewable ways to generate electricity so the energy from fossil fuels can be displaced.

Hydrogen is typically generated via electrolysis so that doesn't answer the problem. Nor does natural gas derived hydrogen either. Hence fuel cells need their fuel supply sorting if they too are to make any traction.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Also, in this period of potential transition OEMs need flexible platforms that can petrol, diesel, hybrid, EV. Volvo has that sorted with SPA and CMA. Excellent work.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
I am happy to see Volvo actually talking about Electrification but I am far from impressed. Building EV's out of modular gas platforms is being stuck in old thinking. You have so many advantages afforded by EV's with regards to packaging that you are giving up by going with a platform that is designed around a gas engine and transmission tunnel. I also am concerned about what the CMA plug in hybrids are going to really be able to offer if the largest SPA offering XC90 has an anemic ~26 mile Electric range.

I believe you will need to make that statement once you see all the technical details of this plan and platform. There is more to automotive electrification than Tesla. Last, Medels (above), provided an excellent link related to the recent annoucement.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I believe you will need to make that statement once you see all the technical details of this plan and platform. There is more to automotive electrification than Tesla. Last, Medels (above), provided an excellent link related to the recent annoucement.
And their is more to auto safety than Volvo, but you never shut up about Volvo safety. I never mentioned Tesla, so drop your attitude. I only mentioned the advantages that EV's present with their packaging and you happen to call out Tesla as a company smart enough to use the space appropriately so good for them. We've seen what the Spec's are in the XC90, in CMA it will have to be a smaller battery due to size, so will be less range. The only way they can change this is through a different chemistry battery. You are always so quick to talk down to my posts yet someone else has already agreed that this won't be as optimal as a dedicated EV platform.

·
Registered
220 Posts
And their is more to auto safety than Volvo, but you never shut up about Volvo safety. I never mentioned Tesla, so drop your attitude. I only mentioned the advantages that EV's present with their packaging and you happen to call out Tesla as a company smart enough to use the space appropriately so good for them. We've seen what the Spec's are in the XC90, in CMA it will have to be a smaller battery due to size, so will be less range. The only way they can change this is through a different chemistry battery. You are always so quick to talk down to my posts yet someone else has already agreed that this won't be as optimal as a dedicated EV platform.

+1

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Volvo distinguishes here between 'electrified' and 'fully electric' cars. The 10% plan consists mostly of plug-in hybrids, not electric-only cars.

I note no mention of Range Extenders yet, something I believe holds great promise since engines that generate electricity without driving the road wheels directly can be smaller, lighter and simpler, particularly if they don't even produce circular motion, like Toyota's linear piston generator.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Volvo distinguishes here between 'electrified' and 'fully electric' cars. The 10% plan consists mostly of plug-in hybrids, not electric-only cars.

I note no mention of Range Extenders yet, something I believe holds great promise since engines that generate electricity without driving the road wheels directly can be smaller, lighter and simpler, particularly if they don't even produce circular motion, like Toyota's linear piston generator.
Range Extenders are very good for low cost hybrid, without needing an AT gearbox. But if a luxury car is using this I'd feel it somehow cheap design. :)

And its performance at highway speed probably is not good enough.

·
Registered
16,049 Posts
Range Extenders are very good for low cost hybrid, without needing an AT gearbox. But if a luxury car is using this I'd feel it somehow cheap design. :)

I suggest you go drive a Chevy Volt or Cadillac ELR.

(or are you only critical of the little BMW? Granted, the ICE in the Volt/ELR may be more than a "range extender," though that's really all it is.)

·
Registered
1,416 Posts

Range Extenders are primarily electric, unlike other PHEVs. Their generators can be quieter than any luxury car engine and their highway performance as good as any other electric car like the Teslas. Gas turbines and Wankel rotary engines are other options for the generator. The gas turbines Jaguar used in their C-X75 are no bigger than Thermos flasks.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Speaking of the Jaguar C-X75 supercar, there's one in the new James Bond movie. But it's a fake, powered by a V8 alone. Then again, it belongs to SPECTRE, the bad guys. Passing off a V8 as a range extender is exactly the sort of thing the bad guy are SUPPOSED to do.;)

·
Registered
16,049 Posts
Speaking of the Jaguar C-X75 supercar, there's one in the new James Bond movie. But it's a fake, powered by a V8 alone. Then again, it belongs to SPECTRE, the bad guys. Passing off a V8 as a range extender is exactly the sort of thing the bad guy are SUPPOSED to do.;)
:)

Did they let the bad guys drive into the center of London with that fake EV?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts