SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
About a month ago I posted a question on VCNA's site about the new so called lifetime warranty. To date, nobody has responded by email, snail mail or phone. Great service. Unfortunately I just bought an '07 S80 V8 to replace the '99 540i 6M a truck took the side off of (I prefer driving the BMW - maybe because it is a manual). Maybe BMWNA is just as lousy as VCNA when it comes to answering questions.

Here is the question: With the new lifetime warranty, must the parts and labor be from the same dealer?

Here is why I ask: The Volvo dealer by me in South Denver charges 20-30% more than MSRP for parts. Since we bought the car I purchased parts from Volvo dealers like Tasca and the South Denver dealer installed them. When the rear wheel bearings were replaced I was told I had a Volvo warranty since they were blue box parts installed by a dealer.

The service staff (which was a big part of the reason I bought the S80 instead of fixing the E39) turned over in the last few months. I was told that her control arm bushings with less than 50,000 miles are cracking. The latest quote was $920 for control arm bushings (didn't say bolts too) and an alignment. Tasca will sell me new control arms with bushings (didn't price bolts) for a bit less than $350 shipped. To know I will get another set from Volvo in another 50,000 - 60,000 miles (if we still have the car) is an incentive to have the dealer do the job for something like $350 labor + alignment (got a few different quotes on labor) instead of doing them myself again.

I have the original control arms with 72,000 miles on them on a shelf. For less than the $350 for new arms I can buy the bushings from Tasca and have a local indy shop press them in when they have down time (dealer wants something like two to three hours to press them in - couldn't get a solid quote even though I asked).

Anyone know how the warranty works?

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
The part numbers have to be tied to an R.O. for that repair and, of course, performed by an authorized Volvo retailer. If they can do that, you are covered.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
I've had no problem getting dealer done work price matched for parts here in boston. They will match the sell price from Tasca without question. Of course you pay the dealer labor rate but up here it's not too much more than Indy shops.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
I've had no problem getting dealer done work price matched for parts here in boston. They will match the sell price from Tasca without question. Of course you pay the dealer labor rate but up here it's not too much more than Indy shops.
His question is not about a retailer matching labor price.

He wants to buy parts from one Volvo retailer and then having another install them and get the Lifetime Parts Warranty.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The part numbers have to be tied to an R.O. for that repair and, of course, performed by an authorized Volvo retailer. If they can do that, you are covered.
How do I tie the two together? Does the dealer have to do something? Is the repair order containing a reference with words like "customer provided parts purchased from Tasca on XX/XX/2016" enough?

I had a feeling I should have asked you in the first place. Thanks.

In the past, I presented the Tasca quote and been told to get the parts from Tasca and they installed the parts. I still dropped a lot of coin at the dealer for rear hubs, timing belt, H2O pump, PCV, ball joints, etc.

The new staff doesn't get it. for example, her XC90 needed a front motor mount. I told them I would get all three give me a quote for all three. They couldn't figure out a discount for bulk. So I replaced the front and side myself after dinner one evening.

Same with doing control arms and struts. So I replaced the struts over thanksgiving. I'll do the control arms a second time if the price isn't right.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Interested in this topic as well. My dealer won't match Tasca prices and they aren't that much more than the indy shop, so I prefer ordering from Tasca and having the dealer do the work, but am curious about the warranty. Thought I also ready somewhere that it only applies to the original purchaser of the vehicle?

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interested in this topic as well. My dealer won't match Tasca prices and they aren't that much more than the indy shop, so I prefer ordering from Tasca and having the dealer do the work, but am curious about the warranty. Thought I also ready somewhere that it only applies to the original purchaser of the vehicle?
From what Ive been told and read (there is very little substance published on the VCNA website, and the dealer doesn't have the written rules), if we get a repair with Volvo parts the parts and labor are guaranteed as long as we own the car.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I didn't doubt Grecian. I wanted something on official Volvo letterhead just in case he left the company and the person handling the claim says a post on the internet is not official.

I finally got a final answer. I called the VCNA 800 number and got a lovely gal who asked someone else and said both the parts and labor had to come from the same dealer. I asked for something in writing and she said it didn't exist. I then called the person on the press release and left a message. A week or so later - yesterday while driving in a snowstorm I got a call on my cell. Good thing I had my daughter with me. The gentleman on the phone was able to look up the answer. My daughter gave him the VIN from my S80s insurance card and he pulled up both Volvos - (both have CO address, and he called NY cell phone which prompted a few confirmations). He pulled up my email, and sent me the following.

Other good news is I had an hour to kill and went to the dealer, I showed the email and learned they just changed their policy. They will not let a customer walk away because of parts prices. They will match. Now what do I have to bitch about? AAARGH! :)

Thanks VCNA!
04/29/2016 02:35 PM

Dear Tom,
As per our conversation earlier, below is the answer to your question:
Replacement parts purchased at one Volvo retailer and installed at another retailer are covered under the Volvo Lifetime Replacement Parts and Labor Warranty (as long as you own the car).
Note: A copy of the parts invoice must be attached to the labor replacement repair order.
Hope this helps.
Sincerely,
XXXX
Volvo Customer Care

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Tome find a email in Goeteborg complain center in Sweden. I done 2 times and help others.
Write nice email and dates when you write to this amateurs and complain about ignorance
and unprofessional behaviour ect.

And write that you are waiting a call or reply asap. One Volvo dealer in Slovenia
I teach how to behave and they was under big Japanese Sumitomo Corporation
from Tokyo but I go to the end what they done with my new car.

General Manager of Volvo dealer for Slovenia lost his position and job.
Manager of Service department kicked away.
And they dont sell any more Volvo brand.

At the end they even paid lawyers expenses ect...

Trust me they will respond soon. If not call center spend few $ to call this numbers:

http://www.volvocars.com/intl/Footer/Contact-Us

and fill this form:

http://www.volvocars.com/intl/footer/contact-us-form
Göteborg, Sweden
Switchboard phone: 46-(0)31-59 00 00

1 - 10 of 10 Posts