1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Great new! It will probably arrest declining sales of the S60 in the US, plus increase the spectacular XC60 sales. Volvo is fighting with all it's might with what's currently available, and not just waiting on the future models with SPA and DriveE, that are still a couple of years down the road.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I have to assume my little T5 engine just isn't powerful enough for AWD.

Why is this mentioned in the release :

Sensus Connect will offer new in-car apps including Yelp, an internet-based city guide that helps you to find restaurants, shopping and many more services and Glympse, a real-time location sharing application.
I already have them in my car, its not new (although I've not actually used them, so not sure if they are even functional).

oh, and where is Spotify?

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have to assume my little T5 engine just isn't powerful enough for AWD.
It most certainly is good enough for AWD. We have a D4 AWD (190hp diesel lump) option for the XC60 here in Europe.

I guess the reason for the T6 being the only engine offered with AWD is because both petrol and diesel 5-cylinder engines still remain in production. Other Drive-E AWD options would have been nice for sure (for those of us in Europe atleast).

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
It most certainly is good enough for AWD. We have a D4 AWD (190hp diesel lump) option for the XC60 here in Europe.

I guess the reason for the T6 being the only engine offered with AWD is because both petrol and diesel 5-cylinder engines still remain in production. Other Drive-E AWD options would have been nice for sure (for those of us in Europe atleast).
Not sure I follow your reason, but the Drive-E T5 engine is identical to the T6 minus the supercharger (pretty sure that's all).

Wonder if its performance isn't up to par, the supercharger after all is to boost during low revs, maybe the Drive-E T5 can't handle four wheels at low revs?

·
Registered
195 Posts

The D4 AWD is not Drive-E engine.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not sure I follow your reason, but the Drive-E T5 engine is identical to the T6 minus the supercharger (pretty sure that's all).

Wonder if its performance isn't up to par, the supercharger after all is to boost during low revs, maybe the Drive-E T5 can't handle four wheels at low revs?
One step at a a time...

·
Registered
199 Posts

What I meant is that because the 5-cylinder T5 is still in production (for whatever reason that is), it doesn't make sense for Volvo from a business standpoint to replace it just yet with the Drive-E T5 AWD for these old models.

The Drive-E T5 can definately handle AWD. It has quite impressive torque even at lower revs.

The D4 AWD is not Drive-E engine.
I never said it was. I mentioned it just for the fact that even engines with much less hp do benefit from AWD.

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
Drive-E T5 AWD has been available in the V40 CC for some time already. There's also a 190 HP T4 version with AWD.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
They use the concept car console for illustration again, which I am wondering if will go to production in new 60 series, if not 90. Is 90 console design finalized before the concept cars? I hope 60s are following the concept cars more closely.

·
Registered
206 Posts
So if I read this correctly all 60 series cars, including the XC60, will not get the new Drive E engines in AWD in addition to the FWD cars that have them today? I have resisted the XC60 with the 6 cylinder since it is less economical and the older technology. When are these T6 E Drive engine changes taking place, 2016 models or later?

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So if I read this correctly all 60 series cars, including the XC60, will not get the new Drive E engines in AWD in addition to the FWD cars that have them today? I have resisted the XC60 with the 6 cylinder since it is less economical and the older technology. When are these T6 E Drive engine changes taking place, 2016 models or later?
No, the announcement indicates the opposite. All models and drive trains are headed to be 100% Drive-E.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts