SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Administrator
55,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Volvo Cars is to extend its range of compact cars into new segments on its highly-innovative Compact Modular Architecture (CMA), a smaller but equally advanced version of Volvo’s acclaimed Scalable Product Architecture (SPA). The company’s first car on CMA is expected to be launched in 2017.

CMA’s introduction in 2017 means that all future Volvo cars will be built on just two fully scalable and wholly modular vehicle architectures.

The simultaneous development of SPA and CMA has formed the cornerstone of Volvo’s product renewal and growth strategy, which involves the replacement of every single car in its line-up in the next four years and an annual sales volume of up 800,000 cars. This process started with the launch of the XC90 and will continue shortly with the launch of the new S90 premium sedan.

CMA allows Volvo Cars to offer customers of compact cars the same type of premium engineering benefits as owners of its larger cars built on SPA. Shared technology between SPA and CMA will include powertrains (both conventional and new plug-in hybrid variants) and the infotainment, climate and data network and safety systems taking the Swedish car maker ever closer to its vision of no deaths or injuries in its new cars by 2020.

“The flexibility of CMA liberates Volvo’s engineers and designers, allowing them to devise and introduce a wide range of new and alluring features whilst at the same time improving drivability, offering world-class safety features and connected car technologies,” said Dr Peter Mertens, Senior Vice President, Research & Development at Volvo Car Group.

CMA will also change the way Volvo Cars builds its products in the future by allowing a wide range of cars, powertrains, electrical systems and technologies of varying complexity to be fitted on the same architecture, generating significant economies of scale and a more streamlined manufacturing process.

Volvo Cars’ CMA has been designed from the outset to embrace electrification – offering a new Twin Engine plug-in hybrid variant designed especially for the new architecture.

“We are in a terrific position with CMA. We have developed this new architecture as a plug and play component. This means that on Volvo’s next generation of compact cars you will benefit from the advanced technologies available on our XC90 today,”
said Dr Mertens.

Volvo Cars expects to significantly increase its global volumes with the coming range of CMA-based cars, which will have a truly global footprint and take the Swedish brand into exciting new product segments.

“CMA is a key part of the continued growth strategy of the Volvo Cars brand,” said Björn Annwall, Senior Vice President, Sales Marketing and Customer Service at Volvo Car Group. “Apart from offering all the benefits and features of a larger premium car, such as the industry-leading safety, powertrain and infotainment technologies, CMA will deliver a true and distinctive Volvo driving and ownership experience setting it apart from others in this growing premium segment.”

·
Registered
704 Posts
The motor is supposed to be around 80hp
the 3cyls around 170hp and the total combined peak hp around +210

This entry level T5 twin engine FWD plug-in hybrid would also be available in the SPA platform.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
What a lot of people are missing, is that Volvo will offer a PHEV version of ALL of it's new models, the 90 series, the 60 series, and the 40 series--no other car company is doing this! Then Volvo will offer an all electric car in 2019. If I could buy Volvo stock, I would have bought it yesterday. But you can't buy Volvo Cars stock alone, you have to buy Geely Holding instead. I am not as familiar with Geely Cars, so I'm being cautious about about buying Geely Holding, but I'm thinking in the near future, I will buy their stock.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
What a lot of people are missing, is that Volvo will offer a PHEV version of ALL of it's new models, the 90 series, the 60 series, and the 40 series--no other car company is doing this! Then Volvo will offer an all electric car in 2019. If I could buy Volvo stock, I would have bought it yesterday. But you can't buy Volvo Cars stock alone, you have to buy Geely Holding instead. I am not as familiar with Geely Cars, so I'm being cautious about about buying Geely Holding, but I'm thinking in the near future, I will buy their stock.
I looked at buying Geely stock. It is a penny stock that has been relatively stable but unimpressive the past two years. And, with my current account, because Geely's ticker ends in a F (foreign), there is something like a $50 fee just to make any one single transaction. I passed.

Then again, I follow Ford, GM and other car related stocks and have never been really a big fan of car stocks.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I hope the new CMA designs will have better safety record than the last s40:

from IIHS, 2011 S40

Moderate overlap front G
Side A
Roof strength A
Head restraints & seats G

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
What a lot of people are missing, is that Volvo will offer a PHEV version of ALL of it's new models, the 90 series, the 60 series, and the 40 series--no other car company is doing this! Then Volvo will offer an all electric car in 2019.
It's a great press release, but until it is actually produced that is all it is. You forget about this little company called BMW. They have already shown a PHEV 3 series, X5 and X1 and will expand it to the rest of their range. They also are going the correct route with EV's with dedicated platforms with the i sub Brand. Volvo is not leading the way in this, they are just joining the game finally.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
It's a great press release, but until it is actually produced that is all it is. You forget about this little company called BMW. They have already shown a PHEV 3 series, X5 and X1 and will expand it to the rest of their range. They also are going the correct route with EV's with dedicated platforms with the i sub Brand. Volvo is not leading the way in this, they are just joining the game finally.
But Volvo is recovering from a near-death pit, and is coming from a lower position than BMW, et al, which is why I would buy Volvo stock if it were available on the open market. I've bought stock that was in that position, and made very good money. (Even stock that Warren Buffet said to stay away from--not that I'm smarter than Buffet, but he's not always right). There's a swell going on at Volvo, and I wish I could ride it with a Volvo stock purchase. I'll have to learn more about Geely before that becomes a possibility.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
+1. No reason not to have good side impact and roof scores in a 2011 vehicle.
Even worse to have two models scoring 'marginal' on the 'small overlap crash test' in 2015, like Toyota does.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Even worse to have two models scoring 'marginal' on the 'small overlap crash test' in 2015, like Toyota does.
Touché!

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Correct. Except Volvo is more vulnerable to populist attacks if the CMA architecture doesn't provide top safety picks for all its creations given their self-imposed mandate for 2020 (I think that's the date).

I'm sure CMA cars will rise to the challenge though. Swedish eggs are wonderful but even they are bad on ones face.

·
Registered
147 Posts
But Volvo is recovering from a near-death pit, and is coming from a lower position than BMW, et al, which is why I would buy Volvo stock if it were available on the open market. I've bought stock that was in that position, and made very good money. (Even stock that Warren Buffet said to stay away from--not that I'm smarter than Buffet, but he's not always right). There's a swell going on at Volvo, and I wish I could ride it with a Volvo stock purchase. I'll have to learn more about Geely before that becomes a possibility.
I'd be sure to do that if I were you. I had a quick look into it and my understanding is that the Volvo Cars is owned by Zhejiang Geely Holding Group, which is not listed on any stock exchange. Only one of its subsidiaries is: Geely Automobile Holdings Ltd, and this does entity does not include Volvo Cars.

I don't claim to know the whole story but I understand that one of the big investors (and one that helped finance the purchase of Volvo Cars from Ford) in Zhejiang Geely Holding Group is the province of Heilongjiang and this is why the Daqing plant exists. The far North-East of China isn't otherwise a logical spot to place a car assembly plant.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
I'm sure CMA cars will rise to the challenge though. Swedish eggs are wonderful but even they are bad on ones face.
Swedes eat their eggs hard-boiled so no worries...

CMA does not have to "rise" to the challenge; CMA will be a safety leader just like SPA is.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
The days of plonking a big heavy battery on top of the rear axle are ending for Volvo, but only starting for most competitors. Others have no plug-ins or hybrids at all.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I'd be sure to do that if I were you. I had a quick look into it and my understanding is that the Volvo Cars is owned by Zhejiang Geely Holding Group, which is not listed on any stock exchange. Only one of its subsidiaries is: Geely Automobile Holdings Ltd, and this does entity does not include Volvo Cars.

I don't claim to know the whole story but I understand that one of the big investors (and one that helped finance the purchase of Volvo Cars from Ford) in Zhejiang Geely Holding Group is the province of Heilongjiang and this is why the Daqing plant exists. The far North-East of China isn't otherwise a logical spot to place a car assembly plant.
GEYLF, which is an OTC buy. I think Li Shufu is doing an excellent job with Volvo and Geely, and I think the future is bright for both car companies, but my knowledge of Geely is much less than that of Volvo, and I think there's no hurry. Plenty of time to study Geely Cars.

·
Registered
101 Posts

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~But think about the Torslanda plant, it's a cold place.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Volvo Cars is to extend its range of compact cars into new segments on its highly-innovative Compact Modular Architecture (CMA), a smaller but equally advanced version of Volvo’s acclaimed Scalable Product Architecture (SPA). The company’s first car on CMA is expected to be launched in 2017.

CMA’s introduction in 2017 means that all future Volvo cars will be built on just two fully scalable and wholly modular vehicle architectures.

interesting facts about the 3cyls T5 twin engine:

The battery pack is bigger than the one found in the XC90 T8: 9,7 kwh vs 9,2
The transmission is a Volvo designed dual clutch set up.

CMA T5 twin engine vs SPA T8 twin engine AWD:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts