SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pilot Assist was first introduced on the 2016 Volvo XC90 and allows the vehicle to accelerate, decelerate, come to a complete stop and steer in road conditions with clear lane markings based on the car in front up to speeds of 30 M.P.H.. The second generation Pilot Assist on the S90 will allow these functions to work up to highway speeds (80 M.P.H.) without the need for a pilot car. The Volvo S90 will be the first car in the United States that makes semi-autonomous technology standard.

Read more:
https://www.media.volvocars.com/us/...-features-standard-on-all-new-volvo-s90-sedan

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Very attractive! and also very eager to see it in reality. How long the driver is allowed to move hands off steering? When the mark line disappears or the lane merges to left in 100 yards how will the car behave? There is no enough time to wake up the driver to take control.

Important reason that I'll wait for V90CC! (Not buying any sedan...) instead of XC90.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Volvo needs this tech to stay relevant. With so many models to choose from, Volvo needed a differentiator and semi-autonomous will help.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I'm glad they're making it standard... This'll be great for Volvo customers and for driving more adoption of advanced technology.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I never considered myself much of a luddite, but lately I'm relooking that. I really want to drive a fast, manual transmission car (that is also new or almost new), and I'm finding to do that I may have to switch to a brand that is not my first choice. I want to drive with no inteference, so I don't really want an autonomous system. Can't a person just DRIVE anymore?

I like driving, I am not that interested in autonomous driving, except under certain conditions - like too much of a good time was had by all scenarios - also, I can see the appeal if one has a long commute or something, but other than that, I am not excited by it, especially in its early stages (I had a situation recently that I am guessing may have had a less than ideal result if handled autonomously, not sure how the autonomous system would have reacted exactly, but not sure anyone does at this point).

I like being a defensive driver, but will the new defensive driving be anticipating what the computer in the car will do? Ugh. Maybe I am just getting old. Oh, for sure it is exactly that!

The future is in the hands of Volvo at the helm and forefront of this transition. Transitions are always interesting, I don't fault volvo for advancing technology, I applaud it, and hope for long term success, even if it doesn't always include the base customer, pretty ironic.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I never considered myself much of a luddite, but lately I'm relooking that. I really want to drive a fast, manual transmission car (that is also new or almost new), and I'm finding to do that I may have to switch to a brand that is not my first choice. I want to drive with no inteference, so I don't really want an autonomous system. Can't a person just DRIVE anymore?

I like driving, I am not that interested in autonomous driving, except under certain conditions - like too much of a good time was had by all scenarios - also, I can see the appeal if one has a long commute or something, but other than that, I am not excited by it, especially in its early stages (I had a situation recently that I am guessing may have had a less than ideal result if handled autonomously, not sure how the autonomous system would have reacted exactly, but not sure anyone does at this point).

I like being a defensive driver, but will the new defensive driving be anticipating what the computer in the car will do? Ugh. Maybe I am just getting old. Oh, for sure it is exactly that!

The future is in the hands of Volvo at the helm and forefront of this transition. Transitions are always interesting, I don't fault volvo for advancing technology, I applaud it, and hope for long term success, even if it doesn't always include the base customer, pretty ironic.
There's nothing stopping you from driving. I don't know if anything will ever stop that from happening.

It's not like there will be a ban on cars made before 2020 or something. You can always buy an older car and add the features you like. People put electric windows in Model Ts even. Retrofitting new stuff into old cars isn't new.

I don't know if you're getting "too" old. Things change. Sometimes we resist the change and sometimes we welcome the change.

I do both on different things and in different measures.

·
Registered
134 Posts
"You can always buy an older car and add the features you like."

Actually, I am considering that, among other things.

I was just lamenting the state of things, really. :)

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
"You can always buy an older car and add the features you like."

Actually, I am considering that, among other things.

I was just lamenting the state of things, really. :)
Oh believe me. I've thought about doing that on some older cars.

And I can understand the lamentations. Honestly I can.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts