SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Administrator
55,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The Board of Directors of Volvo Car Group has appointed Håkan Samuelsson, currently Board member, as new President & CEO effective immediately. Stefan Jacoby will leave Volvo Car Group* after an amicable agreement with the Board of Directors.

"I see major opportunities for Volvo Cars to improve profitability, and accelerate our growth plan in China specifically. I am convinced that Håkan Samuelsson's thorough experience and leadership will help us increase performance," says Li Shufu, majority shareholder and Chairman of the Board.

He continues: "We have a strong strategy and transformation plan in place which we will now execute. I would like to thank Stefan Jacoby for his valuable and strong contribution developing the strategy and taking the company through the first two years following the acquisition of the Volvo Car Group by Zhejiang Geely Holding," says Li Shufu.

Håkan Samuelsson has 35 years of experience from leading positions in the automotive industry, most recently as Chairman & CEO of MAN SE between 2005 and 2009. Since 2010 he is an independent member of the Board of Directors of Volvo Car Group.

"My time on the Board has provided me with insight in the Volvo brand and the company. My focus will be on execution and performance, to secure profitability and meet our sales objectives. No other business is as demanding, complex and full of challenges as the automotive industry. I look forward to leading Volvo Car Group in the most exciting period of its history," says Håkan Samuelsson."

*and consequently the Board of Directors

·
Registered
658 Posts
ok well according to the latest news (WSJ, Reuters) will comments from volvo staff, it seems the decision to replace Stefan Jacoby was not due to his current illness. Rather, there have disagreements on strategy and lack of progress in the China market sales expansion (big oppotinity) which have led to this decision.

Whilst it wont be in the public domain what the different stratgies are, where Stefan disagreed, etc the outcome is his strategy was at loggerheads with Li Shufu and other members of the board.

I liked Stefan's clear dedication and love of cars. Brought passion about the product and company to the role. Sometimes CEOs can be a little too accountant /bean counter in their approach.

Clearly the failure to meet growth ambitions and goals is the responsibility of the whole board and management. Seems Stefan may have been the fall guy for the whole boards failure to do as well as hoped in terms of sales growth.

The VEA and SPA is developing nicely, the hybrid and electic programmes. In terms of product strategy, we dont know the changes or direction changes Volvo is planning. Maybe Stefan disagreed with colleagues on the product lineup. Two things I wasnt keen on Stefan doing were 1) postponing the P20 mini rival and wanting to delay Polestar or new R line products until after the new SPA cars are launched. I think both should be done alongside SPA not wait another 5-10years again.

but I do agree with him prioritising the V40 launch over the XC90 plus accelerating the VEA engine programme.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I guess it's business as usual then!

I wish a speedy recovery to Stefan Jacoby - get well soon.

Oh! If Håkan Samuelsson could act on what Li Shufu just said and "help us increase performance" pointing Volvo into producing a RWD "HALO Car"... well that would please many here at SS. ;)

"I see major opportunities for Volvo Cars to improve profitability, and accelerate our growth plan in China specifically. I am convinced that Håkan Samuelsson's thorough experience and leadership will help us increase performance," says Li Shufu, majority shareholder and Chairman of the Board."

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
somehow I don't think things are gonna change much unless this guy is a yes man for the Chinese and starts moving production and parts supply full force to China.

probably the board and Stephan are/were still Euro centric. Since this guy was an independent board member he may be less euro centric.

i predict more milquetoast Volvos with the occasional concept tease from Polestar.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I Wish Jacoby the best but I feel this results at Volvo were mixed.

This is what we need for the US Market
*All new XC90
*C30/C70 replacements
*V40/XC40
*Diesels
*Hybrids (diesel hybrids)
*Next Gen S80

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I Wish Jacoby the best but I feel this results at Volvo were mixed.

This is what we need for the US Market
*All new XC90
*C30/C70 replacements
*V40/XC40
*Diesels
*Hybrids (diesel hybrids)
*Next Gen S80 + an extended marketing campaign to support it
Just a minor edit. My S80 is a 2008 and I still can't believe the number of people who tell me they've never seen one before or that it doesn't look like a Volvo. Maybe that was the case back in 2007 but by now the public should at least be familiar with it.

Granted, the idea of more effective marketing of the product extends to everything on that list.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Could Volvo pull out of the US market due to abysmal sales? I keep hearing that their lack of a manufacturing plant in the US is a primary reason why tthey're losing money on each car sold in the US; however, to my knowledge, Audi doesn't either and they seem to be doing just fine?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Could Volvo pull out of the US market due to abysmal sales? I keep hearing that their lack of a manufacturing plant in the US is a primary reason why tthey're losing money on each car sold in the US; however, to my knowledge, Audi doesn't either and they seem to be doing just fine?
You can't compare the two. 12-15 years ago, Volvo routinely outsold Audi. I have friends that work for Audi USA and they always told me they had Volvo in their sights first to conquer. Now that they have done that and more, they have their sights on BMW. Audi has the backing of Volkswagen and the executives who understand this market. They are also building a plant in Mexico. VCNA is struggling to sell more than 5500 cars a month and now has a new CEO who is fighting off a huge bribery scandal, has never worked in North America and comes from a truck company. Jacoby was a huge hiring coup for Volvo, and now that he is gone because they apparently didn't like his ideas, I would be very worried about the future of Volvo. People can talk about the products that will someday get here, but if Volvo doesn't find a way to identify what they really want to be and where they want to be, well.......I thought the hiring of Jacoby was a good start on that path.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Abysmal? What on earth are you talking about? Volvo has the highest sales and still remains at the highest sales gains actually. China sells no where near the amount of cars that are sold here and they aren't anywhere near as saturated with cars as we are. It would be a massive mistake to pull out of the U.S. instead of improving product (as Alfa Romeo has learned the hard way...). Though admittedly having a U.S. plant (union free is the important par!!!) would do wonders for Volvo's profit margins and yes, as seems typical, Volvo's marketing is lost. Thankfully, they seem a bit less lost seeing as there should be a big increase of fresh product within a year.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Good news as long as I am concerned. Someone up there, at the board of Directors, has to look at North America and how they can also boost sales.

Sure China/Russia/Europe are huge markets, but why not also send some love over this side of the Atlantic?

As stated before, Volvo Cars Canada and Volvo of America (now 2 totally different companies BTW) need the following:
-S40(Bring 'er back)
-V40 AND V40 Cross Country
-V60
-Diesel (automatic only)
And some fancy hybrid for the extreme Green lovers.

The rest, as we say would be "history".

The beef that I have with the people at Volvo/Geely is that some accountant that never sold a car in his life, takes a sheet of paper (report) a ruler and a Red pen and starts to cut. You cannot go by that thinking in todays market.

Brand imposition is required. Who remembers the Billboard battle in Los Angeles 2 summers ago between Audi and BMW? Those two car manufacturers are the highest volume brand with Mercedes, at times, surpasing BMW, but not beating Audi.

Jacoby to me was a budget cutter, a penny picker who let's be honest, weaken the S60.. It's still better than Audi's A4 and BMW's 3 Series but the S60 feels like it went on a FAST diet and you can feel it at a few places.

On that note, change is good and I hope that Stefan will fully recuperate from his stroke.

:beer:

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Audi is losing A TON of money in the U.S. don't be tricked by volume. Every car has to generate a specific profit in order to make sense. Even as Audi is increasing their volume, each car sold here is sold at a loss. The point is to increase your volume in order to sell more parts and accessories and make more money through servicing those cars. Audi (like VW) is making a killing in China which enables them to play here. The currency difference is one of the biggest reasons why VW opened up a plant in TN at a great cost.

Today, if you do not make money in the emerging markets you are not going to get far.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I still don't understand how years of (my) anticipation for XC30/40 yielded a measly V40XC that's (apparently) not even coming here.

I've walked past a few new Escapes in parking lots, Ford got this one right. Why couldn't Volvo transform this vehicle just like it did the Focus into V40?

·
Registered
985 Posts
Good news as long as I am concerned. Someone up there, at the board of Directors, has to look at North America and how they can also boost sales.

Sure China/Russia/Europe are huge markets, but why not also send some love over this side of the Atlantic?

As stated before, Volvo Cars Canada and Volvo of America (now 2 totally different companies BTW) need the following:
-S40(Bring 'er back)
-V40 AND V40 Cross Country
-V60
-Diesel (automatic only)
And some fancy hybrid for the extreme Green lovers.

The rest, as we say would be "history".

The beef that I have with the people at Volvo/Geely is that some accountant that never sold a car in his life, takes a sheet of paper (report) a ruler and a Red pen and starts to cut. You cannot go by that thinking in todays market.

Brand imposition is required. Who remembers the Billboard battle in Los Angeles 2 summers ago between Audi and BMW? Those two car manufacturers are the highest volume brand with Mercedes, at times, surpasing BMW, but not beating Audi.

Jacoby to me was a budget cutter, a penny picker who let's be honest, weaken the S60.. It's still better than Audi's A4 and BMW's 3 Series but the S60 feels like it went on a FAST diet and you can feel it at a few places.

On that note, change is good and I hope that Stefan will fully recuperate from his stroke.

:beer:
Great insight, thanks. Maybe the death of the Euro would help in the long run.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Great insight, thanks. Maybe the death of the Euro would help in the long run.
This is a real shock! We already knew that Stefan and Li Shufu had different visions/strategies, especially as how to position Volo, near luxury or all-out luxury...

This is not very good news for Volvo as far as Im concerned, especially since the new CEO does not have much experience in the Automobile sector; it seems like Li Shufu made a sudden decision to fire Stefan after a heated discussion. The whole situation looks quite unplanned to me!

I liked what Stefan was doing in terms of ideas but maybe his execution was somewhat lacking due to his lack of previous experience as CEO, but I find the root of all these problems caused by Li Shufu's impulsive nature. Firstly maybe Stefan was not the right person to lead Volvo but he could have been a worthwhile employee at a slightly different position; the same mistake is obviously being done here by putting someone who does not have sufficient experience to manage a company like volvo, just hope that this is a temporary solution and that they have already searching for the proper CEO that Volvo deserves...:(

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
I failed to detect any venom, reading most comments on that page you linked. As a matter of fact, most expressed positive feelings toward Volvo.

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
the Saab guys have seen a lot of precursors to doom so I'd pay attention to their observations. I predict once Volvo runs out of Ford platforms they will turn into Chinese dreck and be unknown outside of Europe and China.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts