·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Volvo Cars’ global sales up 2.4 per cent, continued growth in US and Europe

• Global retail sales of 45,539 cars in September

• Sales progress continues in United States - up 18.4 per cent

• Strong demand for the XC60 and XC90 models

Volvo Cars posted a 2.4 per cent increase in retail sales for the month of September, selling 45,539 cars globally. Europe and the US market were the growth drivers, driven by continued high demand for Volvo’s XC60 and XC90 models.

Retail sales in Europe as a whole were up by 2.2 per cent to a total of 25,403 cars, with growth led by Sweden where Volvo reported a 14.9 per cent increase in September and a market share close to 21 per cent. The United Kingdom was Volvo’s biggest market globally in September with 7,402 retail sold cars.

The United States reported 5,527 retail sales, up 18.4 per cent versus the same month last year. The growth was driven by the new Volvo XC90 as well as the best-selling XC60 model.

Sales in China reached 6,957 cars, where the locally produced Volvo XC60 is growing in demand. The decline in China reflects a general slowdown in the Chinese economy which has affected the overall car market.

“Our growth in Europe and the US reflects the positive customer reception of the new Volvo XC90 while at the same time the XC60 is about to achieve a new all-time high performance”, said Alain Visser, Senior Vice President Marketing, Sales and Customer Service at Volvo Cars. “This is very encouraging in the planning for the continued roll out of our model renewal”.

Sales by model:

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
looks like the real only growth was XC60 in Sept and the XC60 and S60L for the year.

Hard to tell by that data if Gen 2 XC90 is far more popular than Gen 1 in say 2013 (2014 is tainted as people waiting to buy Gen 2).

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Glad to see XC90 sale is catching up now after Summer vacation and the trim panel recall. 4183 is about normal volume consider planned annual production is 50k-60k. Though with three shifts it may be possible to roll out about 6000 a month I hope. They need to figure out how to make XC90 faster, if not as fast as XC60.

However, real volume car will still be the new XC60, S60L, XC40. S90/V90/V90CC together probably won't be more than XC90 after all.

Meanwhile, I am wondering if the XC60 should get a new dash so it does not looks dated with the current powertrain.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Another terrible month for volvo sadly...apart from the xc60 all others have declined heavily, even compared to yearly decline; which means that the sales decline is accelerating. I've been saying this every month I know but the priority should be to change the s/v60 before the xc60 or s90.

I was also expecting better figures for the xc90 since the recall was fixed last month.

On the other hand it's unbelievable how much sales the xc60 is generating despite the lack of AWD with the drive-e engines!!

I wonder why the sedan and wagon 60 are doing so bad while the xc60 is doing so well; oh and the theory that the SUV market is booming does not explain it as the sports sedan market is as strong as ever.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
S60 is not surprise to me. It does not have appearance of a sport sedan and people rarely think it is a sport sedan. So it fells into the lament sale of just a sedan.

V60 is quite rare on road as I can see. I am in NW and XC70s are quite easy to see. I'd say V60 is not a traditional wagon shape and people consider it more a hatchback than wagon. And Volvo hatchback is much less popular than Volvo wagon. Also wagon lovers are mostly in Europe and they buy more V40 than V60, also maybe they started to buy more XC60 than wagon now.

I think the trick for Volvo is how to build popular models like XC90 faster, and face lift S60 (similarly important as S90) sooner, and get XC40 out...

But, sales volume cannot be boosted quickly without bigger or more factories, which take couple of years to build.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I think there is still a slight positive for Volvo.

Sales goal is to double by 2018 if i remember correctly.

Still can be managed.

Just need to get these new models quickly:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,961 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
XC60 sales up 39% in the US! Amazing for a 6 year old car.
The XC90 and then the XC60 have saved Volvo over the last 10 years. The XC60 almost singe-handedly the last 5 years. Volvo have been incredibly fortune/lucky/brilliant in that the two models with the highest margins have also been their best sellers. For most premium brands their highest-end flagships are loss leaders, and they make money by charging premium prices for their mid-range cars.
The generational shift with all the new SPA cars is well timed and absoluteky necessary.
It will be incredibly interesting to see just what Volvo can do with an entirely fresh line-up in 2019.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I've been saying this every month I know but the priority should be to change the s/v60 before the xc60 or s90.
I can't see the sense in that. The XC90, S80 and V70 are the oldest models in the Volvo line-up and overdue for replacement.
In comparison the S60 and V60 look modern, fresh and smart still.
Also, from what I understand, premium brands such as Audi, BMW and Lexus tend to make money from their mid-range cars, but only thanks to the cache given by their higher-end models. So to have a new shiny new SPA S60 would be incongrious if they are not selling a modern and desirable S90.

My 2cents.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Also sedan is still important. S60 is the next to XC60 in US sales. And following V40 V60 global wise, while the old S80 is almost absent.
So S90 probably will fill some gap in a year or two. and next year XC90 will catch up with a steady 5k/month sale, supposedly. Overall should still see growth next year.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I literally don't understand the S60. It's the same car (essentially) as the XC60, yet the XC60 is booming.

·
Registered
127 Posts
The XC60 is a lot more practical than the S60 especially for my wife and my two daughters (11 month old and a 12 year old). My V60 is also more practical than a S60. I'm able to store more items in my car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
With such a sales performance I do not see volvo achieving its 500K sales goal this year, unless the xc90 achieves a steady 10K sales in the next 3 months.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
The XC60 is a lot more practical than the S60 especially for my wife and my two daughters (11 month old and a 12 year old). My V60 is also more practical than a S60. I'm able to store more items in my car.

The 3 series is only as practical as the s60 but it is a sales champion; so is the current A4 sedan, only the boot is slightly larger in both rivals.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts

Naturally, but that was obvious the moment you saw one in person. But what I'm wondering is what makes the S60 not sell as well as the XC60. When BMW's 3-series and X3 are much, MUCH closer in sales volumes (percentage wise), even though, again, the 3-series and X3 are essentially the same car. As in their chassis, engines, electrical components, ect is all pretty much the same except for their shape.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
S60 is not outstanding in looking or driving to win over those car German buyers.
If that's the case (though in my opinion it's not) , then why is the XC60? See what I'm saying?

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
If that's the case (though in my opinion it's not) , then why is the XC60? See what I'm saying?
If let me guess, one reason is more people think Volvo makes good SUV (from the influence of XC90) than sedan. :)
And SUV sales is growing much faster than sedan overall.

S90 and S60 really need a few good sell points to stand out. Maybe Thor headlight is one in looking, big touch screen is the other. For driving experience, Polestar S90 and S60 could be a good point to show the capability of the brand.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Subaru drivers and dealers (I caught two guys admiring it when I was looking at an Outback) love my wife's XC60 RD, I understand that RD's are rare; I only saw one other RD in the Saint Petersburg area.

For Volvos here in Florida, the public seems to like the SUV's ( a lot of XC60's). Soccer moms loved the old XC90.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts