SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Volvo Car Corporation will enter the competitive market for premium sport utility vehicles (SUVs) in November with the 2003 Volvo XC90, the next generation SUV with seating for seven passengers, industry-leading safety features and an aggressive starting price of $54,995, Volvo Cars of Canada Ltd. has announced.
Standard equipment in the new Volvo XC90 2.5T will include turbocharged 5-cylinder engine and 5-speed automatic transmission, Haldex electronically controlled all-wheel-drive system and the newly-developed Roll-Over Protection System (ROPS), including a sophisticated computer system called Roll Stability Control which helps reduce the risk of rolling over.

The line-topping Volvo XC90 T6 has a suggested list price of $59,995 and features a twin-turbo 6-cylinder engine and a long list of luxury and convenience features in addition to the extensive standard safety equipment.

The Volvo XC90 will go on sale November 1, 2002, at Volvo retailers across the country.

"The extraordinary standard equipment list, high level of safety and the thoroughly compelling styling will make the XC90 stand out in the premium SUV category," said Volvo Cars of Canada president Paul Cummings, "while the price places it squarely in the middle of the segment and ideally positioned against competitive entries."

Designed on the same platform as the elegant Volvo S80 luxury sedan, the XC90 may be the first Volvo SUV but it already sets new standards for safety in a category that has been criticized for both its passenger safety and its impact on other vehicles during collisions.

In addition to the ROPS, standard safety equipment in the XC90 includes enhanced Inflatable Curtain (IC) technology. This system features a special air bag which extends downward from the outer roof edge to protect occupants in all three rows of seating in the case of side impact, and inflates for a longer duration in the case of a roll-over. Other break-through safety features include the front architecture of the XC90 that helps align its energy-absorbing safety systems with that of smaller vehicles (to help protect those occupants), efforts to mitigate the results of an impact on a pedestrian, and safety for passengers in the third row of seats.

Volvo automobiles are sold and serviced through 42 retailers across Canada. Volvo Cars of Canada Ltd. is headquartered in Toronto. The 2002 Volvo automobile line includes the flagship S80 luxury sedan, versatile V70 wagon and rugged Cross Country, exotic C70 coupe and convertible, the sporty S60 sedan and compact S40 and V40 models.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Converted to USD:

XC90 2.5T = $35,480.65
XC90 T6 = $38,706.45

US and Canada option packages and cars are usually different, so the prices might not be really all that accurate. Hopefully, a lot of stuff will be standard. Not having to worry about lots of option packages to jack up the prices would be nice.
Just my guess...

-Drew

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
What did you use as a conversion rate? I was using 1.65 and cane up with $42ish for the T6 and 37ish for the 2.5T. I guess we will wait and see.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by [email protected]:
Volvo Car Corporation will enter the competitive market for premium sport utility vehicles (SUVs) in November with the 2003 Volvo XC90, the next generation SUV with seating for seven passengers, industry-leading safety features and an aggressive starting price of $54,995, Volvo Cars of Canada Ltd. has announced.
Standard equipment in the new Volvo XC90 2.5T will include turbocharged 5-cylinder engine and 5-speed automatic transmission, Haldex electronically controlled all-wheel-drive system and the newly-developed Roll-Over Protection System (ROPS), including a sophisticated computer system called Roll Stability Control which helps reduce the risk of rolling over.

The line-topping Volvo XC90 T6 has a suggested list price of $59,995 and features a twin-turbo 6-cylinder engine and a long list of luxury and convenience features in addition to the extensive standard safety equipment.

The Volvo XC90 will go on sale November 1, 2002, at Volvo retailers across the country.

"The extraordinary standard equipment list, high level of safety and the thoroughly compelling styling will make the XC90 stand out in the premium SUV category," said Volvo Cars of Canada president Paul Cummings, "while the price places it squarely in the middle of the segment and ideally positioned against competitive entries."

Designed on the same platform as the elegant Volvo S80 luxury sedan, the XC90 may be the first Volvo SUV but it already sets new standards for safety in a category that has been criticized for both its passenger safety and its impact on other vehicles during collisions.

In addition to the ROPS, standard safety equipment in the XC90 includes enhanced Inflatable Curtain (IC) technology. This system features a special air bag which extends downward from the outer roof edge to protect occupants in all three rows of seating in the case of side impact, and inflates for a longer duration in the case of a roll-over. Other break-through safety features include the front architecture of the XC90 that helps align its energy-absorbing safety systems with that of smaller vehicles (to help protect those occupants), efforts to mitigate the results of an impact on a pedestrian, and safety for passengers in the third row of seats.

Volvo automobiles are sold and serviced through 42 retailers across Canada. Volvo Cars of Canada Ltd. is headquartered in Toronto. The 2002 Volvo automobile line includes the flagship S80 luxury sedan, versatile V70 wagon and rugged Cross Country, exotic C70 coupe and convertible, the sporty S60 sedan and compact S40 and V40 models.

"BEAUTIFUL" (and I am being sarcastic...). Volvo had promised us that we would get pricing on June 28 and a few days ago they told us that it has been moved to AUgust. Great cmmunications...

Yannis

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As far as I know Yannis, they haven't released US pricing. I will go into the media servers again tonight before I make final updates to the site for the week, and I'll make sure to post if we get any.

This doesn't sound far off though from what the Volvo reps were telling me when I drove the SCC last week. Makes me wonder though, how many XC70s will be cannibalized. We just drove an ORE that was $40K on the sticker. That's dollar for dollar with where a loaded XC90 will be, and one is a whole lot more car...even though I'd rather have the wagon.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by Phil Pugliese:
What did you use as a conversion rate? I was using 1.65...
Phil,

I was using 1.55 CAD for my conversion, but I am not sure what the correct numbers are.

-Drew

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by InDy:
Phil,

I was using 1.55 CAD for my conversion, but I am not sure what the correct numbers are.

-Drew
I'm not sure either. Knowing Volvo, they will throw pi in tere too. All we can do is wait and see.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by [email protected]:
As far as I know Yannis, they haven't released US pricing. I will go into the media servers again tonight before I make final updates to the site for the week, and I'll make sure to post if we get any.

This doesn't sound far off though from what the Volvo reps were telling me when I drove the SCC last week. Makes me wonder though, how many XC70s will be cannibalized. We just drove an ORE that was $40K on the sticker. That's dollar for dollar with where a loaded XC90 will be, and one is a whole lot more car...even though I'd rather have the wagon.
Thanks, George...It's just very frustrating because we (Retailers) are doing everything we can to stay ahead of the ball game by staying informed and also be as educated as possible with the limited info that Volvo is providing us with. They expect us to presell all the allocated units we are given (in our case 36 until December) and we are trying to do this without pricing. I understand we are trying to sell value and stay away from pricing but after you establish the value we have nowhere to go. They [Volvo] are tying our hands behind our backs and then they tell us "OK, go swim across the pool". We were waiting (with baited breath) to get prices and there is no clear message from the company as to what is really going to happen; we are finally promised we will have the prices on June 28 and then we are told, "no they moved that to August". That is not a serious approach from a serious company trying to, ahem, seriously pre-sell a....[cough]SERIOUS new product! The right way to approach this would have been "here is the pricing, the options" and here is an XC90 2.5T and an XC90 T6 to use for test-drives. Cannot sell them until November 2002". But I guess this would be too much and too efficient to expect.

That's OK, though. We will be doing everything that we can possibly do to stay ahead of the curve but I cannot wait to see the December 31, 2002 final sales results. I can guarantee you, they will truly be shocking.

OK...enough bitchin'!

Yannis

P.S. If they do not change the pricing on the XC70, I am going to guess that the XC70 will lose at least 15% to 20%. Volvo should decontent the XC70 and reduce the price. Get rid of the Touring Package, make them like the FWD wagons (w/ Premium and Cold Weather packages only) and reduce the sticker to $35,500 MAX!

·
Registered
73 Posts
How is Volvo of America in dealing with problems, that can't be resolved with the dealer. My last experience with a Volvo was an 85 740 TDI, which I rather liked. Great seats! I have just become aware of the XC 90, and it looks like it will be the ideal replacement for my ML 430, who's lease runs out in May of 2004. I need great snow traction, which a set of Nokian tires can help with, and I need the HP recovery capability that the turbo can provide. (I'm at a little over 5000') Now, my hope is that the "feeding frenzy" that has developed over the MDX and the Honda Pilot doesn't happen with the XC 90, or at least run it's course fairly quickly

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
Well put, Yannis. I am just as fed up with this as you are. Volvo wants us to have pre orders but work from a pool of cars. Not only do they have our hands tied behind our backs, they gave us army boots to wear. I get more information on the net then I get from our "sources" at Volvo. Don't even get me started with Bob Appleton, talk about being in a coma
. Volvo wants us to be educated and proffesional, yet they do not give is the info that they have, and they have it. It's to the point where it is insulting.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You may find that the XC90 will be a little more expensive in the US. If you look at the prices of new cars (any manufacturer) in Canada and compare them with the price in the US converting both prices to the same currency, you will find that cars are cheaper here in Canada. Some manufactures are making people sign agreements that they will not sell the cars across the border within a certian time period. Some dealerships are refusing warranty services to people that own cars that have been imported into the US. They call these cars that have made it into the US "Grey Market Cars". There was a newspaper article here in Canada about this a few weeks back.

Sorry... But the Canadian pricing is likely a little cheaper that what you will get in the US.

Jay
--
83 242 Turbo
98 S70 T5SE

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by Phil Pugliese:
Don't even get me started with Bob Appleton, talk about being in a coma
Hahaha! Wasn't that "coma" moment truly amazing? Like he is not in a...coma! He is constantly...COMATOSE! I wish we were recording those minutes...what a classic!

Yannis

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm not sure if anybody else noticed that the Bi-xenon's would not be available on the 2.5T model in Canada. That was according to the spec sheet on the Canadian XC90 site which has subsequently been pulled. I've also heard that this will be the case in the US. Can anybody confirm?

Pat

·
Registered
4 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by Jay:
You may find that the XC90 will be a little more expensive in the US. If you look at the prices of new cars (any manufacturer) in Canada and compare them with the price in the US converting both prices to the same currency, you will find that cars are cheaper here in Canada.
Jay, I'm thinking about buying a car from Canada and use it in the US since i'm moving to Washington in the coming month. Is it a lot of hassel to import a car to the US for personal use? Will i end up paying sale tax on both sides of the border? and finally, will the manufacturer warranty still effective? Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by bl4ckn1ght:
Jay, I'm thinking about buying a car from Canada and use it in the US since i'm moving to Washington in the coming month. Is it a lot of hassel to import a car to the US for personal use? Will i end up paying sale tax on both sides of the border? and finally, will the manufacturer warranty still effective? Thanks in advance.
You can bring a foreign-registered car to the US for as long as your stay is authorized. In other words, if you are moving to Washington permanently, then you have so many months to take care of all the necessary paperwork and conversion work. If you are here on a working visa that is good for 2 years or whateverf, then your car can stay here for that duration. I am not 100% sure on the warranty question but I believe a Canadian Volvo has a 12-month/12,000-mile warranty here in the US.

If you are going to sell the car here, you have to have possession of the title and you will have to convert the odometer and climate control units, something that is fairly expensive in today's cars that have many computer modules and replacing electronic components involved quite a bit of $$$.

Yannis

1 - 17 of 17 Posts