SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Volvo has revealed the recently introduced S90 mid-size sedan will be coupe-ified by the end of the decade.

The S80-replacing S90 made its media debut last week and now Volvo is focusing on the wagon version due next year with the "V90" moniker. It will be shown in the flesh at the Geneva Motor Show in March and will eventually be followed by a sleeker S90-based coupe. Volvo’s senior vice president of design, Thomas Ingenlath, has already indicated the model in question will have a lot in common with the stunning Concept Coupe revealed in 2013.

The production version will likely arrive by the end of the decade and could eventually spawn a convertible, although Ingenlath refused to talk about a possible open-top derivative. As for the coupe, it will likely be called “C90” and will ride on the same SPA platform as the S90 sedan and V90 wagon from where it will inherit the four-cylinder engines.

This new mid-size coupe will have to wait since after the V90’s release, Volvo will shift focus towards its new “40” and “60” models slated to come out starting 2017. In addition, a fully electric vehicle is pinned for a 2019 launch, so the C90 is not exactly a top priority right now on Volvo’s agenda.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/1151207101763/volvo-announces-sleek-s90-coupe-will-be-out-by-2020
http://www.virtuel-car.fr/2015/12/volvo-s90-coupe-c90.html
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volvo/s90/93640/volvo-s90-coupe-for-2020

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Finally! US market cheers for it.
Though it is revealed in event talk, not announced formally.
But no Concept Estate? Maybe hatchback does not sell well as Coupe in US.

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I may buy this. By then I may come to trust the 4 cylinder only dictate. Perfect compliment to my 780 Bertone

Price it right and make it a bit daring in styling.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I would be interested in this also, but 5 years, dang! Will the concept estate still be so stunning some 7 years later than introduced?

Agree to price it right (who doesn't) and push the style for the interior.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I would be interested in this also, but 5 years, dang! Will the concept estate still be so stunning some 7 years later than introduced?

Agree to price it right (who doesn't) and push the style for the interior.
This is my thoughts. I am excited they will make it, but by 2020, the design will be dated.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Why C90? Haven't C60 and C40 been registered, but not C90?
I'd speculate "90" indicates the price point Volvo might be aiming for with the new coupe. Probably not a lot of volume regardless of price point, so go higher to make the math work.

Meanwhile, I'll continue to hope for an XC Coupe variant, need the extra lift in stance and seating. I'm still taking drugs for my lower back which got pissed off from leaf-raking on Thanksgiving weekend...

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Yeah, screw the house, THIS will be my first post-college major buy!!! :D

·
Registered
697 Posts
I recall earlier interviews with Volvo staff where they commented about a debate between a C70 replacement but also another larger 90 cluster coupe as well.

Coupe is a niche product, hence prioritised after the replacement of the S/V/XC90 and S/V/XC60. By time therefore coinciding with the new S/V/XC40 (CMA) vehicles.

Like the Polestar variants the coupes are massive volume sellers but are brand building vehicles - beyond the brand representation in the XC, V and S markets.

A single coupe a bit larger than the current C70 and more like the Mk 1 C70 would probably fit the bill as a single coupe in the lineup. Might not need a C60 and a C90 in this regard. Depends in the end of the single coupe is a 60 or 90 based vehicle. All are SPA platform anyway.

Maybe a C40 and a C90 gives a better option of two coupes but in quite different markets. You need to careful not to steal sales from to the other though hence a single coupe (with a Polestar variant of course!) might be a safer bet.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
I recall earlier interviews with Volvo staff where they commented about a debate between a C70 replacement but also another larger 90 cluster coupe as well.

Coupe is a niche product, hence prioritised after the replacement of the S/V/XC90 and S/V/XC60. By time therefore coinciding with the new S/V/XC40 (CMA) vehicles.

Like the Polestar variants the coupes are massive volume sellers but are brand building vehicles - beyond the brand representation in the XC, V and S markets.

A single coupe a bit larger than the current C70 and more like the Mk 1 C70 would probably fit the bill as a single coupe in the lineup. Might not need a C60 and a C90 in this regard. Depends in the end of the single coupe is a 60 or 90 based vehicle. All are SPA platform anyway.

Maybe a C40 and a C90 gives a better option of two coupes but in quite different markets. You need to careful not to steal sales from to the other though hence a single coupe (with a Polestar variant of course!) might be a safer bet.
Coupe is not niche product in US. Many coupes (especially 2dr coupes) are running on road.
Also for 2 dr coupe, C60 probably is good enough as the second row will not be used very often if at all.
If a 4 dr coupe is to be built, then C90 size is no brainer. However 4dr coupe is not easy to distinguish itself from S90 sedan.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
This is Volvo's future

Volvo starts : In 2018, the XC40 comes on the market, V60 and S60 are presented and in 2020 Polestar follows 2. Here are all new Volvo !
At the beginning of 2018, Volvo is rolling out a compact SUV with the XC40. But that's not the end : Even the XC20 is already in the starting blocks and should compete against 2019 against the Audi Q2 - but only with hybrid and pure electric drive. From 2019 Volvo wants to ban clean gas from the program. To this end, the Swedes build their former home tuner Polestar to the electric brand : the first makes the chic coupe Polestar 1. 2020 then comes even the Polestar 2, rumored to cost about 40,000 euros and the Tesla Model 3 in the sights takes. But before coming S60 / V60 and the coupe C90 - continue with pure four-cylinder drive. All Volvo / Polestar novelties until 2021 shows How To Cars in the gallery !

http://www.autobild.de/artikel/neue-volvo-polestar-2018-2019-202-und-2021--9434999.html

-------------------------------------------------------

Volvo: C90 and XC90 coupes in preparation ?

Volvo is growing more than ever under the Geely era. Surprises are coming in the form of a C90 and an XC90 coupe.
One would have thought that the arrival of the 1 of Polestar had put an end to the inclinations of Volvo to produce a big coupe. We would be cheated. Indeed, according to Auto Bild, a new C90 is expected for next year. Its tariff would start from 100 000 euros. The C90 would be equipped with a hybrid engine developing approximately 600 hp. This coupe would be a rival of some Aston Martin and other Maserati. It does not remind you of anything? If, furiously the Polestar 1. Especially as the style of the C90 could be very close to that of the Polestar 1. Except that in the meantime, the Polestar 1 should be available in full electric version.
Do not confuse Polestar 1 and Volvo C90

These are up to 600 hp - decidedly - that could also be under the hood of the future coupe XC90 when it will be released in 2021. At that time the cut variant of the XC90 could be available in electric version.

http://www.leblogauto.com/2018/02/volvo-coupes-c90-xc90-preparation.html

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
Sounds too expensive for everyone.
There will be only 500 P*1 built every year. So how many they plan to build this C90 sibling? Won't even sell 2000 per year.
450hp C90 based on S90 powertrain and P*1 body will be much more popular.

XC90 Coupe will be rare too, and cannot share body parts with other models. So will be expensive.

Fusion · Red · T8 · XC60

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Hmm... “XC90 Coupe” could interest me. I’d prefer a 3-door XC Coupe, but even Range Rover is giving up on 3-doors.

But I’d want a “mainstream” Volvo PHEV, not Polestar.

Tried XC60 at auto show, just doesn’t fit me well.

Interesting...

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
A hard top convertible version will be a big hit in any spec. The coupe would be a very limited sell, even if soup'd-up on Polestar; it will also infringe on the coming Polestar One. Regardless, bring-it Volvo!

·
Registered
697 Posts
I'd really like to see some new coupes from Volvo

Or, if Polestar is now their performance brand then there needs to be a lower cost and more affordable Polestar coupe.

However, as Polestar is only EV then where to the ICE coupes come from for the Geely-Volvo group??

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Hmm... “XC90 Coupe” could interest me. I’d prefer a 3-door XC Coupe, but even Range Rover is giving up on 3-doors.

But I’d want a “mainstream” Volvo PHEV, not Polestar.

Tried XC60 at auto show, just doesn’t fit me well.

Interesting...
I guess Range Rover missed your memo that they'd given up on coupes...

https://jalopnik.com/the-range-rover-sv-coupe-loses-two-doors-for-295-000-b-1823543263

I'd really like to see some new coupes from Volvo

Or, if Polestar is now their performance brand then there needs to be a lower cost and more affordable Polestar coupe.

However, as Polestar is only EV then where to the ICE coupes come from for the Geely-Volvo group??
Volvo has already confirmed they will not be building any coupes in the future. Any coupes or shooting brakes will come from P* is what they said. Volvo is also done developing the ICE. Any future vehicles will be hybrids or EV's from Volvo as well. They will continue to make ICE versions of their existing vehicles until their end of lifecycle.

·
Registered
697 Posts
The Range Rover coupe is £250k starting price and they are only making 999

But, it's the first production SUV coupe 3 door....

Volvo has already confirmed they will not be building any coupes in the future. Any coupes or shooting brakes will come from P* is what they said. Volvo is also done developing the ICE. Any future vehicles will be hybrids or EV's from Volvo as well. They will continue to make ICE versions of their existing vehicles until their end of lifecycle.[/QUOTE]

Well, it's a bit vague and is only in executive interviews. Coupes for sure aren't mainstream core of the 40, 60 and 90 cluster. But, they add brand appeal and a Volvo coupe nowadays is a much easier fit in the range than it ever was for the 262, the 780 or indeed the C70.

If no Volvo coupes and only Polestar for coupes then that implies that they will also only be EVs. No hybrid Polestars after Polestar 1

I'd like to see a non EV coupe

Volvo done developing the ICE - hmm, not quite. They said at this moment they aren't planning any new engine (platforms) i.e. anything other than the current VEA / Drive-E engines. Indeed, given the EV trend and if it happens then indeed the VEA / Drive-E could be Volvo's last ICEs. But Volvo tends to only develop completely new engine platforms every 20 years or so so VEA has some time yet.

Hybrids need ICEs too...

They should be transitioning to alternative/renewable fuel ICEs and away from fossil fuel petrol and diesel.

Emission legislation focuses on CO2 emissions with the assumption that all CO2 out the tailpipe is fossil fuel derived and thus increases atmospheric CO2 levels -> climate change etc

The legislation globally is short sighted to not provide a route to renewable fuels which due to their short loop CO2 and lack of net increase of atmospheric CO2 levels are effectively zero carbon.

The legislation pushes CO2 lower and lower to force manufacturers to adopt hybrid and EV technologies - you simply cannot comply with the requirements/levels otherwise.

The CO2 reduction / zero CO2 should be realised by adoption of renewable fuels

Other OEMs are not giving up on their engines. Mercedes is launching a new car company called EQ, BMW has i but they are simultaneously developing new ICEs as well. Even Toyota with the significant interest and investment in hybrids say that the ICE has a lot of life left in it and will be continuing to develop it alongside their hybrid drives

It's time legislators decouples the ICE from fossil fuels. It can use other renewables.... and should

China is pushing EVs very heavily. Japan is pushing fuel cells. S.Korea dominates the EV lithium battery market. China is trying to develop competitive battery suppliers "in-house". Europe is trying but they've realised the problem too late and are trying to catchup

Despite all the noise, Tesla actually use Panasonic Li battery cells. The Gigafactories are just assembling someone else's cell tech into packs and packaging those as battery units. Daimler also uses a S.Korean battery cell from SGI I think.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I've not seen anything from Volvo that says that anything post SPA and CMA will be battery only (so 2021 onwards for SPA-2 for the new XC90). I believe SPA and CMA will be used for two vehicle generations each at least albeit updated e.g. SPA-2 is evolved and lighter. I suspect all SPA-2 and CMA-2 will be ICE as well

The "end of the ICE" from Volvo was misinterpreted as Volvo meant a ICE all by itself will be phased out. It will be replaced with ICE + 48V mild hybrid (which is practically an ICE powertrain with a little 48V assistance), plug in hybrid which can be EV, parallel hybrid or engine only.

Volvo also has a range extender in the shape of the 3 cylinder engine which runs as a generator in the new London Taxi the TXe and Emerald van range

1 - 20 of 27 Posts