SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Toronto, Canada.

We had a dry spell mixed with heat waves fro the last few weeks.

Today, the weatherman called for chance of thunderstorms -- what an understatement!!!!

The rain started and it was crazy! Road drains were unable to keep up with the amounts of water coming down. Cars were stalled all over the place.

At one point, water seemed like it was about to come over the front part of the hood!!!

The Volvo plowed through it - and when I got home and parked (in our condo underground parking) I noticed the only visible deficiencies to be a bent number plate on the front and the passenger side fog light having about 1/2 inch of water in the bottom of it.

I know Volvo makes tough cars but there were cars from all sorts of brands stuck in the middle of huge puddles and even some SUV's. I just plowed by them.

This is my first Volvo and I have had it for about 1 month. It's a very low mileage 2007 S80 with the V8 and AWD. I bought from a Volvo dealership in my area and it still has CPO warranty left. My last car was a Saab 9-5 and it was tough as nails too, but I'm not sure it would have made it home like the Volvo did today.

Thanks for reading and feel free to share any of your stories like this one.

-Ian

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Seems like you may have simply gotten lucky with the path you took and the speed you were driving. Water is water and will damage an engine if it's too deep. I'm not entirely sure there is something unique to the S80 that made it more water resistant.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I believe that do due to large parts of Sweden that are extreme in terms of temperature and weather Volvos tend to be generally more robust/durable than other manufactures especially compared to German competitors. Off ALL the Volvos I've owned I have never had a power window fail to work YET my mom had a much newer Camry (vs any Volvo I have bought) that had 3 of its 4 power windows fail. Think about how something as seemingly harmless as a power window failure may affect a person in parts of Sweden that lay within the arctic circle especially during the coldest parts of winter.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Volvos tend to be generally more robust/durable than other manufactures especially compared to German competitors. Off ALL the Volvos I've owned I have never had a power window fail
Funny you mentioned the windows, recently I was wondering when my power window is going to fail on me. My previous S & ML Mercedes both had power window problems and had to get the motors replaced.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts