SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to share this from German/Polish magazine.
Turns out the Volvo has the 4 wheel drive set up pretty good. Scored second after Audi all wheel drive. I’ll say that is a success.

ECEF5DBC-9812-4E1A-A7F8-BD47F47EC8BE.jpg

·
Registered
183 Posts
Something does not match up here as there is no way Volvo Audi Skoda to be better than genuine AWD vehicles like the Wrangler, the G Wagen, the Jimny etc. Obviously other factors were taken into account and the choice of cars is so random, there are two Audis but no SUV Audi.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Something does not match up here as there is no way Volvo Audi Skoda to be better than genuine AWD vehicles like the Wrangler, the G Wagen, the Jimny etc. Obviously other factors were taken into account and the choice of cars is so random, there are two Audis but no SUV Audi.
It is possible if you look at the test metodology.

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
i'm sure fuel economy was part of it and that's where BW Traction Systems excels.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’ll read the article and add what they did/didn’t like on Volvo. There just has to be something that the superior full mechanical 4x4 on the some of the other cars did not do well to score lower. I’m just happy that the heldex 5? I thing you have did so well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
184 Posts
can you post the meat of the article and in english? I find it hard to believe the volvo awd system tests well off road/snow vs others

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
in a real world test, an XC40 made it further up this trail than any other vehicle they reviewed:

https://youtu.be/X9ViLzazDaU

Volvo AWD is no slouch.

·
Registered
184 Posts
in a real world test, an XC40 made it further up this trail than any other vehicle they reviewed:

https://youtu.be/X9ViLzazDaU

Volvo AWD is no slouch.
I watched the video and remain unswayed that it is a not so great awd system. Watch the rear wheel off the ground spin like crazy with the front wheel sits quiet. I really like our XC90 but it is car >>> truck. It is front wheel drive >>> awd/4wd. That xc40 is totally out of control at times and doing poorly I'm sorry to say. Now my base of comparison is true off road worthy vehicles like the wrangler, fj cruiser, land rover products, jeep grand cherokee, etc.

All your really need to see is the lack of all 4 wheels spinning together when losing traction, sign of a subpar awd/4wd system

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I watched the video and remain unswayed that it is a not so great awd system. Watch the rear wheel off the ground spin like crazy with the front wheel sits quiet. I really like our XC90 but it is car >>> truck. It is front wheel drive >>> awd/4wd. That xc40 is totally out of control at times and doing poorly I'm sorry to say. Now my base of comparison is true off road worthy vehicles like the wrangler, fj cruiser, land rover products, jeep grand cherokee, etc.

All your really need to see is the lack of all 4 wheels spinning together when losing traction, sign of a subpar awd/4wd system
Interesting you mention that - when we’ve gone overlanding with our friends our 2010 XC90 as faired far better than most Jeep Wranglers, especially in the snow. What constitutes off-road worthy? Heritage or actual ability? On one trip we passed several “worthy” and more “rugged” vehicles including a Taco, lifted Dodge RAM with 37s and chains that were struggling to get up the snow covered FS RD. When we need to make room for a recovery we drive around them and typically it’s not the easier route to get around them. To be fair some of it is driver and learning from mistakes of others ahead of us have made. The only time we needed assistance was as we got up to higher elevations and we were cutting as a group our own tracks up 40” of fresh pow. That was a case of needing serious ground clearance and even being near the middle of the pack by then the middle of the path was hard packed enough we occasionally high centered. We linked up a friend well built Taco in front and he could feel our AWD grabbing. We weren’t totally a boat anchor. He was impressed. It’s been the only instance 9” wasn’t enough and was the limiting factor. It’s one of the reasons we got a second XC90 - it suits all of our around town and back country adventure needs. And on our 2017 we got Air suspension for that extra lift. :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Interesting you mention that - when we’ve gone overlanding with our friends our 2010 XC90 as faired far better than most Jeep Wranglers, especially in the snow. What constitutes off-road worthy? Heritage or actual ability? On one trip we passed several “worthy” and more “rugged” vehicles including a Taco, lifted Dodge RAM with 37s and chains that were struggling to get up the snow covered FS RD. When we need to make room for a recovery we drive around them and typically it’s not the easier route to get around them. To be fair some of it is driver and learning from mistakes of others ahead of us have made. The only time we needed assistance was as we got up to higher elevations and we were cutting as a group our own tracks up 40” of fresh pow. That was a case of needing serious ground clearance and even being near the middle of the pack by then the middle of the path was hard packed enough we occasionally high centered. We linked up a friend well built Taco in front and he could feel our AWD grabbing. We weren’t totally a boat anchor. He was impressed. It’s been the only instance 9” wasn’t enough and was the limiting factor. It’s one of the reasons we got a second XC90 - it suits all of our around town and back country adventure needs. And on our 2017 we got Air suspension for that extra lift. :)
I think you raise some important points and it is worth distinguishing b/t what is good for what. What is needed for snow on pavement is different than snow on trail, and than what you need for a trail with rocks/off camber different still. My FJ is terrible on snow/ice covered roads, a lot of that is the off road tires which have minimal siping. A true offroad vehicle has 4 low. however most consumers dont need that. We had a mod'd Sub outback come on one of our stock friendly trail runs. It was a joke. w/o 4 low it couldn't safely handle even the basic offroad situations (rocky steep uphill that any stock vehicle with 4 low has not problem with). An xc90 would suffer disabling damage in that situation I suspect.

·
Registered
228 Posts

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
HAHA...what kind of hillbilly **** is that? the fact that you DONT see all four wheels spinning is a sign of a smart and good AWD system. the car has already detected no traction at the wheel that isn't spinning and has transferred power to the ones that do, your naked eye cant see it. if you think 4 wheels should always be spinning trying to find traction you know zero about AWD, and your opinions henceforth are discounted as rubbish.

·
Registered
184 Posts
HAHA...what kind of hillbilly **** is that? the fact that you DONT see all four wheels spinning is a sign of a smart and good AWD system. the car has already detected no traction at the wheel that isn't spinning and has transferred power to the ones that do, your naked eye cant see it. if you think 4 wheels should always be spinning trying to find traction you know zero about AWD, and your opinions henceforth are discounted as rubbish.
I'm not sure if I should bother as I have seen your other posts and know your style. Let me break it down: if the wheel in the AIR is spinning: BAD, wheel on ground spinning/trying: OK/Good. All 4 trying to get traction at once: Good, as you might see in a rubicon or Gwagon with lockers. I think you either misinterpreted what I said or are trolling.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I think part of the problem is people are talking about different things. Are talking about 1) on road performance in snow, 2) light offroad on gravel/dirt, 3) real off road to include small downed trees, basketball sized rocks, steep slopes, off camber???

You cannot say one system is best for all of these. Tires matter the most on maintained roads and I'd rather have awd>4wd on those with good tires. However, I think it is unrealistic to paint the xc90 a 4wd/offroad worthy vehicle unless you are just talking about the beach or some dirt roads. without 4low, skid plates, etc. it would get destroyed. It is not designed for that which is OK. But we can't compare what is BETTER if we arent talking about the same thing, which is why I asked for more info about the article's criteria

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
I think you raise some important points and it is worth distinguishing b/t what is good for what. What is needed for snow on pavement is different than snow on trail, and than what you need for a trail with rocks/off camber different still. My FJ is terrible on snow/ice covered roads, a lot of that is the off road tires which have minimal siping. A true offroad vehicle has 4 low. however most consumers dont need that. We had a mod'd Sub outback come on one of our stock friendly trail runs. It was a joke. w/o 4 low it couldn't safely handle even the basic offroad situations (rocky steep uphill that any stock vehicle with 4 low has not problem with). An xc90 would suffer disabling damage in that situation I suspect.
With all due respect, what you are referring to is extreme off roading which is a hobby and a sport.

What most people want is an able AWD vehicle with a decent AWD system that will not get them stuck in mud/snow/sand. The system that Volvo employs (used to be Haldex and now is BorgWarner) has proven to be one of the most able AWD systems out there.

I invite you to try it out. In all my years driving in plowed and unplowed snow, I have never been stuck with even up to a foot of snow (I did get stuck once, in about 18" of snow after my car bottomed out). And I have never used winter tires, just the OEM All-Season tires.

Google "XC90 and Mudfest Competition in Oregon", see how many times a Volvo has won. ;)

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
I'm not sure if I should bother as I have seen your other posts and know your style. Let me break it down: if the wheel in the AIR is spinning: BAD, wheel on ground spinning/trying: OK/Good. All 4 trying to get traction at once: Good, as you might see in a rubicon or Gwagon with lockers. I think you either misinterpreted what I said or are trolling.
as you might see on a hillbilly car with lockers...because you will see a mechanical system try and try and try because it has no smarts. The Volvo isn't spinning a wheel on the ground with no traction because it isn't stupid. Its trying, but you dont see the wheel spin because it detects the lack of traction and stops trying before you can.

·
Registered
184 Posts
as you might see on a hillbilly car with lockers...because you will see a mechanical system try and try and try because it has no smarts. The Volvo isn't spinning a wheel on the ground with no traction because it isn't stupid. Its trying, but you dont see the wheel spin because it detects the lack of traction and stops trying before you can.
There is a point in the video where a wheel in the AIR is spinning furiously and a wheel on the GROUND is stationary, I will say that for the third time. It is probably a fine system on pavement but lets not pretend it is a true offroad vehicle. Shoot, it has trouble on bumpy roads with the rigid suspension. Again we cannot logically agree/disagree unless we know what circumstances we are calling it 'best'. I am not surprised to get flamed b/c I know there are folks on here that feel the xc90 is perfect and cannot tolerate any critique whatsoever. - signed, hillbilly ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts