SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2017 T5 Inscription, 50K miles. I'm thinking of doing ATF and Haldex fluid change in the near future so started looking into fluid specs. FCP Euro has both Volvo and Aisin Type WS fluids and they list them as interchangeable and the right fluids for the car. I don't particularly trust their recommendations because they recommended me wrong engine oil in the past and I had to deal with the mess of changing from 5w30 to the VCC RBS0-2AE certified LiquiMoly.

Anyone has reliable info on this?

·
Registered
15,616 Posts
I used the Aisin WS fluid on my '15 XC70 and it works fine. First time fluid change at 106k miles I think and it helped smooth out shifts. I plan on doing the same with my XC70 at some point.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I found in Canada Type WS fluid was cheapest when purchased from a Toyota dealer. I bought a case at a discount for my XC90 and plan to purchase another for a family member's XC60.

The source of truth and most up to date info is from the parts view on a Volvo parts dealer site / from VIDA. It typically will include any TJ updates / supersessions. MSDS sheets are also good for cross referencing compatible fluids.

Reactions: Dixon12

·
Registered
657 Posts
I've found Volvo Haldex fluid is the cheapest online. From research I've done, it's the same fluid found in VAG models that also use Haldex AWD systems. I've never felt the need to stray to VAG fluid as the prices are about the same.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bumping up this thread because planning on finally doing the atf flush within a couple of weeks. I have a case of Aisin WS. The manual says to use AW1. Is there anything official or semi-official on whether these are same or compatible fluids?

I tried to find out from the local dealer but they seem to be clueless and told me that they use Bergdahl (sp?) and “haven’t had any problems”. Whatever that’s supposed to mean.

·
Registered
15,616 Posts
IIRC when I was doing this work a couple of years ago I asked FCP and they indicated that WS was the correct fluid so I went with that and it worked great. I think WS supersedes or replaces AW1.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Bumping up this thread because planning on finally doing the atf flush within a couple of weeks. I have a case of Aisin WS. The manual says to use AW1. Is there anything official or semi-official on whether these are same or compatible fluids?

I tried to find out from the local dealer but they seem to be clueless and told me that they use Bergdahl (sp?) and “haven’t had any problems”. Whatever that’s supposed to mean.
It's perfect. Asin Type WS meets the JWS3324 standard as does AW-1. I use Toyota WS fluid in my Volvos as it's significantly cheaper vs the other JWS 3324 fluids sold in Canada.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
ah, yeah, this reminds me I need to order more, August will be 2 years and ~20k miles, due for my next fluid exchange

1 - 8 of 8 Posts