SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Administrator
55,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ROCKLEIGH, N.J. (Oct. 2, 2012) - Volvo Cars of North America, LLC, (VCNA) reported U.S. sales of 4,977 units, a 1.3 percent decrease from September 2011. Year-to-date sales are down 1 percent over the first nine months of 2011.

The top seller for the month was the award-winning S60 sports sedan with 1,577 units sold, followed by the XC60 crossover with 1,562 units sold, a 115.4 percent increase from September 2011.

New Volvo buyers benefit from Volvo's Safe + Secure Coverage Plan. A complimentary program, Safe + Secure wraps a comprehensive list of benefits into one package. Specifically, it provides:
  • 5 years/50,000 miles of New Car Warranty<LI id=uid_8>5 years/50,000 miles of Complimentary Factory Scheduled Maintenance <LI id=uid_9>5 years/50,000 miles of Wear and Tear Coverage
  • 5 years/Unlimited miles of Volvo On Call Roadside Assistance.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Not bad numbers. Though we don't see any growth and a little shrink. Though the numbers for the S40 alone makes up the difference of 65 cars.

The problem is if the market is up and we are showing a loss... where are we missing things. I say its the lack of advertising and ok incentives for the month of september. The S60 awd T5 are in the inventories but the numbers are down. I wonder if they are just waiting for Volvo finance to come back in december. The problem is there will be only so many drivers and it took some people 2 months to respond to the 4 payment structure incentive during the summer. Need a ramp up of adversting

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Not bad numbers. Though we don't see any growth and a little shrink. Though the numbers for the S40 alone makes up the difference of 65 cars.

The problem is if the market is up and we are showing a loss... where are we missing things. I say its the lack of advertising and ok incentives for the month of september. The S60 awd T5 are in the inventories but the numbers are down. I wonder if they are just waiting for Volvo finance to come back in december. The problem is there will be only so many drivers and it took some people 2 months to respond to the 4 payment structure incentive during the summer. Need a ramp up of adversting
That, and the fact that Volvo needs to refresh the C30, and the C70 soon. The 2014 refresh for the S80/XC70 can't get here soon enough.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
ROCKLEIGH, N.J. (Oct. 2, 2012) - Volvo Cars of North America, LLC, (VCNA) reported U.S. sales of 4,977 units, a 1.3 percent decrease from September 2011. Year-to-date sales are down 1 percent over the first nine months of 2011.

The top seller for the month was the award-winning S60 sports sedan with 1,577 units sold, followed by the XC60 crossover with 1,562 units sold, a 115.4 percent increase from September 2011.

New Volvo buyers benefit from Volvo's Safe + Secure Coverage Plan. A complimentary program, Safe + Secure wraps a comprehensive list of benefits into one package. Specifically, it provides:
  • 5 years/50,000 miles of New Car Warranty<LI id=uid_8>5 years/50,000 miles of Complimentary Factory Scheduled Maintenance <LI id=uid_9>5 years/50,000 miles of Wear and Tear Coverage
  • 5 years/Unlimited miles of Volvo On Call Roadside Assistance.
Darn it Chris! I was getting to like being the first one to post Volvo's sales numbers!!!:D

·
Registered
415 Posts
It's frustrating to see this, but I understand some of the problems. A lot of these cars are old! I feel like the life span of Volvos throughout the line up are not staggered so they all seem old. The last Volvo before the XC60 was the XC70, in 2007? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
It's frustrating to see this, but I understand some of the problems. A lot of these cars are old! I feel like the life span of Volvos throughout the line up are not staggered so they all seem old. The last Volvo before the XC60 was the XC70, in 2007? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.
The XC90 has had basically the SAME design since 2003. THATS NEARLY 10 years. I was in the 6th grade when it came out! I am sure this will be fixed though with the 10 billion+ investment Volvo is putting into its R and D, production, etc. I cant wait for the S60 to have the V40's dashboard!!!

·
Administrator
55,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Darn it Chris! I was getting to like being the first one to post Volvo's sales numbers!!!:D
:D I happened to have a break at the office when the email came in, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to post until tonight.

·
Administrator
55,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The XC90 has had basically the SAME design since 2003. THATS NEARLY 10 years. I was in the 6th grade when it came out! I am sure this will be fixed though with the 10 billion+ investment Volvo is putting into its R and D, production, etc. I cant wait for the S60 to have the V40's dashboard!!!
We hear that those who have seen the new XC90 are excited about the offer. Hopefully, we'll get to see some spy shots in the not too distant future.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts

Many areas, in the country, were very, very light in S60 inventory. I know, for a fact, that the Southern California area had a supply of under 44 days which is not ideal. Thus, even though the lease offer was very good, we lost quite a few deals due to lack of adequate inventory. We sold a lot during the July and August sales event and that, coupled with the annual summer factory shut down, created this S60 inventory situation.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
And that was while Ford had Volvo up for sale or did not have it up for sale or..wait, yes it was up for sale. In the meantime, all future projects stagnated because of that. The product cycle has started even more vigorously and you will start seeing the results a lot sooner than later.

·
Registered
415 Posts
And that was while Ford had Volvo up for sale or did not have it up for sale or..wait, yes it was up for sale. In the meantime, all future projects stagnated because of that. The product cycle has started even more vigorously and you will start seeing the results a lot sooner than later.
I hope your right because here in the Northeast region of the U.S. I feel so left out of the V40 and V70. I hardly see S60 Rs some of the best Volvos in years!

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
The numbers only look bad when you compare them to the rest of the US industry. Audi is on fire, up 27%. Acura and Infiniti also doing well. Most everybody is doing well.

http://www.autonews.com/section/ussales

I'm not buying the 'blame inventory levels' argument at all, not this time. My dealer has more S60 and XC60 inventory than I've seen in a looooonngg time. And volvo has cut back on production, mostly because of europe. If Volvo really thought the U.S. people would buy up all their cars, they could have just sent all that extra capacity over here.

Need to give this one more month and see if the new S60 AWD and that latest IIHS safety test will have any meaningful impact. But so far, it's really looking to me like safety just doesn't sell anymore.

Sales are on a cliff and the current product just doesn't stand out, not in ways that buyers care about. IMO, the next gen XC90 may make or break Volvo in the U.S.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Seeing the success of relaunched vehicles without developing new platforms ( The Jaguar XF still rides on the ancient Lincoln LS/Jaguar S-Type platform though it has been updated, Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger) I don't understand why Volvo hasn't updated the S80 significantly and relaunched it. I think part of the failure with the S40 is Volvo let it languish from its introduction with a modestly powered 5 cylinder (162 or 168HP IIRC) base engine ; in my opinion Volvo should have further developed the naturally aspirated mill to try to achieve 200HP and try to steal Honda/Acura sales. In both cases I think Volvo should make more tech standard including navigation.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Seeing the success of relaunched vehicles without developing new platforms ( The Jaguar XF still rides on the ancient Lincoln LS/Jaguar S-Type platform though it has been updated, Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger) I don't understand why Volvo hasn't updated the S80 significantly and relaunched it. I think part of the failure with the S40 is Volvo let it languish from its introduction with a modestly powered 5 cylinder (162 or 168HP IIRC) base engine ; in my opinion Volvo should have further developed the naturally aspirated mill to try to achieve 200HP and try to steal Honda/Acura sales. In both cases I think Volvo should make more tech standard including navigation.

There are alot ... and I mean ALOT of people who come in and do not want Navigation(or at the least will not pay for it..since its on may peoples phones). At least with Volvo you can add the same factory one in at any time. This can at least allow the lower models to have navigation.

I hope we get to see the XC90 soon. I wonder though if we will have a 2014 XC90 at all. Will Volvo do the same thing they did with the S60 and not make it for year to clear out inventory(already worried about our current incoming allocations on the XC90 and volume). This might get the XC90 here in late next year as a 2015 then.... but I hear the rumors here first.

Grecian we sold out of S60 2012's in August.. problem is now there seem to be no adverts. I just don't know if the numbers are where Volvo wants them to be or expects them to be.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Grecian we sold out of S60 2012's in August.. problem is now there seem to be no adverts. I just don't know if the numbers are where Volvo wants them to be or expects them to be.
I know. Same here in So.Cali. My market and where you are (NJ metro) are the two largest markets in the U.S. therefore I know some S60 volume was lost because of availability. We had a lot of Volvo stores with 1 or 2 (or none, in some cases) MY12 S60s and only a handful of MY13s

Talk to your sales manager about an enhancement on the S60 program, starting tomorrow. ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
There are alot ... and I mean ALOT of people who come in and do not want Navigation(or at the least will not pay for it..since its on may peoples phones).
I am one of those people and I want no part of any navigation system built into any vehicle I own.

That being said I think Volvo might do well to offer options to order which would lessen the price on some of their vehicles. Take me for example, I LOVE the XC60 but would prefer to have a turbo model without leather seats and a sunroof. I love T-Tec and the extra headroom but I hate the 3.2 engine, there are rumors of Volvo implementing Ford's EcoBoost engine in the XC60 in the near future... perhaps that allow me to get everything I want. Suffice it to say that if we could truly order what we want A la carte through OSD and Volvo would fully accomodate the customer, they would have more of them and everyone would be happy.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
If you take away the cars which are not being sold in the US in 2012 (S40, V50, V70) it's actually an increase in sales. And those are all vehicles that they were supposedly losing money on, right?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
The problem is if the market is up and we are showing a loss... where are we missing things. I say its the lack of advertising and ok incentives for the month of september.
Any Volvo, without any special incentives is a fantastic deal when you compare it to the Germans- the S60 is a great value and you save thousands more and get more features when you go Swedish. And the S60 in the T6 AWD version is an actually good, fun car. Is it as good as a BMW 3 with all the special suspension bits thrown in, probably not. But the gap is narrow enough where the jump in performance in everyday driving is not worth the extra $$$... and we're not talking a few hundred. Throw in a discount when negotiating, and the value is even better.

Lack of advertising? That plays a bit, but it's not like people dont know what a Volvo is. But Volvo is doing better in one area. In the past several years, there has been a shift in the auto media's perception of Volvo=soccer mom, get zee German car to Volvo=wow... this is nice. So this is a start- really those car magazines are where the true advertising lies. People are more moved by a "shootout" than a print or TV ad.

The big problem is product. XC60, S60 are new and OK. But jeez... the C30 and C70 are old... it's a S40 coupe and convertible basically. The S80 and XC90 are even older. The XC90 is something Volvo should be ashamed of- at least update the center console... that's a generation back.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
That's all well and good I suppose, and maybe it's just in Eastern Ontario where I live, but I still don't see as many Volvos on the road now as I did 20 years ago. And nowhere near as much advertising either.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts