SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Administrator
55,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ROCKLEIGH, N.J. (May 1, 2012) - Volvo Cars of North America, LLC, (VCNA) reported U.S. sales of 4,847 units, a 24.3 percent decrease from April 2011. Year-to-date sales are down 2.7 percent over the first four months of 2011.

The top seller for the month was the award-winning S60 sports sedan with 1,732 units sold, followed by the XC60 with 1,261 units sold.

New Volvo buyers benefit from Volvo's Safe + Secure Coverage Plan. A complimentary program, Safe + Secure wraps a comprehensive list of benefits into one package. Specifically, it provides:
5 years/50,000 miles of New Car Warranty
5 years/50,000 miles of Complimentary Factory Scheduled Maintenance
5 years/50,000 miles of Wear and Tear Coverage
5 years/Unlimited miles of Volvo On Call Roadside Assistance.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
A weak month over all for the industry, up 2%. But the Volvo numbers are particularly disappointing. I think it must be said the "5, maybe 6" volume model strategy isn't going anywhere fast. The C30 is clearly not long for NA at those numbers. There needs to be some new and exciting product. I have heard rumors of a S60T5R, but who knows. Well, somebody knows but he isn't saying. In any event we have moved the VR to the back burner with the delivery of the E wagon. I would have very much preferred to buy another V, but since that was impossible I went elsewhere, as I expect and know others are. Oh well. I will predict that things are not going to improve in the next few months.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Is this what happens after the initial rush for the S60 is over? Especially after you alienate three previously very loyal market segments, the sporty compact segment by not replacing the S40, the wagon crowd by eliminating all V models, and the driver enthusiasts by eliminating manual transmissions. As I said before once customers are lost it is difficult to get them back. Brilliant marketing plan!

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
All is quiet on this western front :(

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
ROCKLEIGH, N.J. (May 1, 2012) - Volvo Cars of North America, LLC, (VCNA) reported U.S. sales of 4,847 units, a 24.3 percent decrease from April 2011. Year-to-date sales are down 2.7 percent over the first four months of 2011.

The top seller for the month was the award-winning S60 sports sedan with 1,732 units sold, followed by the XC60 with 1,261 units sold.

New Volvo buyers benefit from Volvo's Safe + Secure Coverage Plan. A complimentary program, Safe + Secure wraps a comprehensive list of benefits into one package. Specifically, it provides:
5 years/50,000 miles of New Car Warranty
5 years/50,000 miles of Complimentary Factory Scheduled Maintenance
5 years/50,000 miles of Wear and Tear Coverage
5 years/Unlimited miles of Volvo On Call Roadside Assistance.

Terrible results!!!

The s60 is down compared to last year, so there goes the market share in the compact premium segment...

Xc90 is down to 600s, s80 eventhough being an ever-sales-flop, still manages to plummet!

Volvo does not look in good shape in NA, no sir.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
So did someone return an S40 in April? How could it be -1?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Must have been a lemon buyback or something.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Actually I don't think it looks all that bad. Yeah April is down but YTD sales are only down 2.7%. And if you look at the big sellers, xc60, s60, xc90, and xc70 all are up YTD...the overall loss appears to be because of the loss of the S40, and do a lesser degree a drop in sales for c70s, and c30s.

I imagine once dealers get t5 AWD s60s this summer they will be up again. Lots of s60 sales could be "waiting" for that.

Also, maybe a small factor...Volvos are big in winter states and there was little or no winter this year so perhaps fewer trade ups to new "AWD tanks" with heated seats. I only say this is a factor because of anecdotal evidence I've heard from a salesman friend. Said sales spike after big snowstorm...only takes getting stuck or a treacherous trip home in the snow to send people to the dealer for "snow mobiles"

·
Registered
31 Posts
Is this what happens after the initial rush for the S60 is over? Especially after you alienate three previously very loyal market segments, the sporty compact segment by not replacing the S40, the wagon crowd by eliminating all V models, and the driver enthusiasts by eliminating manual transmissions. As I said before once customers are lost it is difficult to get them back. Brilliant marketing plan!
Exactly.. Add the lack of any model with good gas mileage!
I just bought my first Volvo a few days ago (Hi all :) ) and it was a very very hard sale to my wife. She was the one who wanted a Volvo in the first place but could not get over the horrible mpgs. We needed something wagonish and possibly awd. No V50, no V60, no V70. We ended up with a XC60. What's available engine wise? No D3, no D5, no 2.0T, no T5.. Only 3.2 or T6.. 24 mpg highway? Geez. We only got it because we are in Germany and everything else (say like an audi A4 Avant) was many months out and we needed a car now.

I know I will still enjoy it though :)

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Actually I don't think it looks all that bad. Yeah April is down but YTD sales are only down 2.7%. And if you look at the big sellers, xc60, s60, xc90, and xc70 all are up YTD...the overall loss appears to be because of the loss of the S40, and do a lesser degree a drop in sales for c70s, and c30s.

I imagine once dealers get t5 AWD s60s this summer they will be up again. Lots of s60 sales could be "waiting" for that.

Also, maybe a small factor...Volvos are big in winter states and there was little or no winter this year so perhaps fewer trade ups to new "AWD tanks" with heated seats. I only say this is a factor because of anecdotal evidence I've heard from a salesman friend. Said sales spike after big snowstorm...only takes getting stuck or a treacherous trip home in the snow to send people to the dealer for "snow mobiles"

You are comparing April with April so any seasonaleffect should not be there. Besides I do not think there would be too many awd sales in April as its the last month of winter, if any...

The sales was good the first 3 months but April is terrible however you put it. I think there is some serious problem with this sudden and significant sales decrease, maybe someone more involved in the business would care to tell us?

·
Registered
83 Posts
So did someone return an S40 in April? How could it be -1?
That was the first thing that struck my eye, and the only thing I could think of was that they had to take a lemon back. Still ... I don't think they'd count it in sales, but account for it differently.

·
Registered
217 Posts
The C30 is being crowded out by other small hatches. The Hyundai Veloster and Focus are the hot hatches de jour. The S60 is going tank very quickly as the new 3-series is going to take over the market place. The XC60 is holding it's own right now but unless it's efficiency improves it will fall quickly.

Endorphin_'s got it right. FUEL EFFICIENT PLEASE. That's kind of what the demographic is clamouring for. Even in the premium segments.

·
Registered
274 Posts
The C30 is being crowded out by other small hatches. The Hyundai Veloster and Focus are the hot hatches de jour. The S60 is going tank very quickly as the new 3-series is going to take over the market place. The XC60 is holding it's own right now but unless it's efficiency improves it will fall quickly.

Endorphin_'s got it right. FUEL EFFICIENT PLEASE. That's kind of what the demographic is clamouring for. Even in the premium segments.
Add to that the fact that those cars are cheaper and that Volvo didn't bother giving the C30 any mechanical upgrades and no promotion then you've got warmed over products with decade old tech. Once the Veloster Turbo and Focus ST come to the market not to mention the Mk VII GTI. Hopefully volvo doesn't screw up the new turbo 4's and the 8 speed auto.

·
Registered
217 Posts
The newer C30's have better mileage ratings since the facelift but when people shop and do their initial research online, the hits are all from the c30's launch and have the crappy mileage.

It's interesting in the hot hatch segment, that manual's are taking off. I think I read that the Ford Focus manual take rate is about 10% much higher than the anticipated 2-3%. Even with DSG around, I'm sure VW sells a fair number of manuals, especially the diesel variants.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
To properly compete the C30 needs to either come down a couple of thousand dollars in price or come up in "luxury" because a comparatively spec'd C30 seems to be several thousand dollars more than a comparatively spec'd GTI. I've never really paid much attention to the C30 and it's rivals but a couple of my friends who have looked at it were really put off by the price compared to others. It just doesn't seem to have the appeal that a car like the GTI has.

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
How the hell do you get a -1 sale on an S40? Volvo bought one 2012 model?

Don't worry, I'm sure the positive spin will be that this is only a one month figure, and if you compare sales to a couple years ago then these are still good numbers.
If you consider that we are at the cusp of another potential economic downturn, then these figures actually look very good. Blah, blah, blah...

Give the option to special order vehicles to customers.
AWD for C30 and C70
M66 option for everything
Brembo brakes for everything

That way nothing would be sitting in showrooms collecting dust, but people still have a choice in ordering what they want.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Efficiency efficiency, only the EcoBoos... Eherm, T4's and the 8-speed autos can save us now? Oh yeah, how about this cool little tool called advertising? And no, not just on swedespeed and AOL autos, how about a little more on TV?

I want a $43,000 XC60 hybrid please. Before 2015 to keep it relevant.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts