SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Very cool stuff.

Nvidia seems to be making a big push into automotive computing. They're also the ones powering the new MMI systems in Audi's latest generation vehicles (Q7, A4/S4, etc.)

·
Registered
11 Posts

Had a look at the details on the link. It talks about the Drive PX 2 processor being the equivalent of 150 Macbook pros and miles better than the original Drive PX processor. As well as being "built with a 16-nanometer manufacturing process, compared to 28nm for Nvidia’s earlier Titan X" (original Drive PX?). I get the feeling that the Drive PX2 will debut in the MY 2017 cars, and that Volvo already has the Nvidia Drive PX in the previous models.

This leads me to believe the theories out there that there is a big hardware difference between MY2017 cars with PA2 and the MY2016 cars with the original Pilot Assist. So I don't think just a software upgrade will bridge it for the MY2016 cars. Except if they can retrofit the faster Nvidia Visual processors - Drive PX 2 - in MY2016 cars? Without it affecting the rest of the architecture of the car. Well its supposed to be Scalable, so I will assume this is a possibility!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Its strange that i couldnt find any mention of the tech behing the current XC90 models... But it has to be something and on the Drive PX page the 360 camera is exactly how it looks in the current XC90!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Had a look at the details on the link. It talks about the Drive PX 2 processor being the equivalent of 150 Macbook pros and miles better than the original Drive PX processor. As well as being "built with a 16-nanometer manufacturing process, compared to 28nm for Nvidia’s earlier Titan X" (original Drive PX?). I get the feeling that the Drive PX2 will debut in the MY 2017 cars, and that Volvo already has the Nvidia Drive PX in the previous models.

This leads me to believe the theories out there that there is a big hardware difference between MY2017 cars with PA2 and the MY2016 cars with the original Pilot Assist. So I don't think just a software upgrade will bridge it for the MY2016 cars. Except if they can retrofit the faster Nvidia Visual processors - Drive PX 2 - in MY2016 cars? Without it affecting the rest of the architecture of the car. Well its supposed to be Scalable, so I will assume this is a possibility!
According to the article, my interpretation is that the PX2 will be purchased and tested in a few hundred cars this year. This would mean the PX2 can't be used in MY2017 which will begin production soon because the PX2 would need further testing and would need to be ramped up in production asap.

·
Registered
11 Posts
According to the article, my interpretation is that the PX2 will be purchased and tested in a few hundred cars this year. This would mean the PX2 can't be used in MY2017 which will begin production soon because the PX2 would need further testing and would need to be ramped up in production asap.
Also from the site;
"Huang said that the PX2 can be used in conjunction with a deep-learning platform that Nvidia is creating. It is building a network that can learn how to decipher images car cameras collect as they drive down the road.
Volvo can make use of this kind of network as it trains its PX 2-based cars to recognize threats and drive themselves."
So I think that could mean its the deep-learning bit that is being used in those 100 fully autonomous cars. But its new cars (MY2017) are already PX2-based!

That would make sense to me. Since they keep saying the full autonomous capability will be in the MY2017 cars, but they are still branding it as semi-autonomous for now.

·
Registered
216 Posts
This was talked about in a thread about a month ago. PAI and PAII appear to use a Delphi based system. The NVidia system is targeted for MY20.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
yeah, i was just going to say, I thought we were all using variants from Delphi. Delphi and Nvidia are working really closely together now though

1 - 10 of 10 Posts