SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive a 1990 Volvo 740 and on the underside of the center storage/armrest lid is a sticker that says that when the year 2000 rolls around I need to take the car back to the dealer to get the airbag inspected/serviced. Needless to say I did not take it in and the thought had resurfaced. So I was wondering if any of you took your volvo in on or around the date that it said and if you did what did they do to the car? If anyone knows for certain that I am driving a car with a potentially dagerous airbag please let me know! Thanks, I look forward to hearing from someone soon.

Poritz

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by Poritz:
I drive a 1990 Volvo 740 and on the underside of the center storage/armrest lid is a sticker that says that when the year 2000 rolls around I need to take the car back to the dealer to get the airbag inspected/serviced. Needless to say I did not take it in and the thought had resurfaced. So I was wondering if any of you took your volvo in on or around the date that it said and if you did what did they do to the car? If anyone knows for certain that I am driving a car with a potentially dagerous airbag please let me know! Thanks, I look forward to hearing from someone soon.

Poritz
Relax and keep enjoying the car. The reason for that "expiration" sticker is that when your car was manufactured, the automotive industry had no way of predicting how long an airbag could last. So, they attached the "10-yr. rule". When the 10 years came and went by and people were taking their cars to the Retailers to inspect the airbags, it was discovered that the airbags were as good as new! So, what they recommend is every 5 years, thereafter, take your car in and have it inspected.

You should not be worried about having a...dangerous airbag but that it may get too old and it may not work properly if you ever got involved in an accident. The first thing that may go is the connector (usually gold plated). If that happened, your SRS warnig light would turn on and you would know.

Yannis

·
Registered
691 Posts
Yes, at some point Volvo extended the service interval to 15 years for a bag check, and 10 years for a connector check. The gold-plated connectors are usually goos for a long, long time, but there have been some cases in which they corrode. Like George mentioned, though, it should trigger your SRS light if that happens.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought one of the reasons why gold is such an impressive material is because it does not tarnish or corrode. I don't know I could be wrong. Thanks for the response 11110000 I appreciate it when someone confirms the first response.

-Poritz

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.