SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Love my 1997 white 850 wagon with 230,000 miles on it.. Was driving home from Washington DC to Deale (South of Annapolis) at 11 pm when a deer jumped out in front of me. I hit the brake enough to have the deer hit the car not directly in front of me, but on the passenger side. I was fine, the car as you know is tank/rock (whatever adjective fits to describe how safe you feel driving it...). But when I got home, the impact with the d... deer had damaged the hood, both headlights, front grill and radiator. No damage to the frame though.

So, the car I originally bought for my mother 18 years ago and inherited when she passed away, and that my son who is going to college next year grew up in.. is now according to my insurance company "total" loss. The claims adjuster estimated $3,000 to repair the car, and the market value at $2,000 (before the damage).

I'm clearly grieving at the loss of my "old lady" and don't want to have her towed away and sold for scrap :(

I would describe the condition of the car as good - I just put 4 new Michelin Defender tires on it. The tailgate won't stay up on its' own, and it has a slow leak of oil from the master cylinder, so I put in about a quart or 2 every month. The engine runs great, AC is fine, has a good radio w/ cd and cassette player, etc.. and it holds the road like a tiger and is soo comfortable to drive - the most comfortable car I have ever had, including MBenz, BMW's, Porsche, Toyota, etc...

If there's anyone out there who can use the car, and will pay the salvage fees to the insurance company ($200) and wants to pick the car up...drop me a line. I have AAA and can probably even have them tow the car to you if it's within 100 miles.

In case you're interested - I guess I am going to bite the bullet and get a used 2011 XC70 and hope for the best, although nothing will ever replace my 850 :(

Paul

·
Registered
304 Posts
So sad Paul, sorry that happened to you. We have a lot of emotions tied up with our Volvo's, you have a deep history with her.
I wish you luck on finding a home for her and good luck finding your next Volvo.

·
Registered
17,020 Posts
If that's all the damage there is, those are all parts you should be able to find pretty easily at your local junkyard, and it's not like white is a rare color. I'd pay the $200 and put it back together if it were my car. The XC70 won't be the same as the 850 even without the sentimental issues (worse fuel economy, doesn't sound as good, more expensive to fix, worse fuel economy, worse handling........).

·
Registered
304 Posts
I agree with Jared on that. I was not going to try to talk you out of it it, but since we are there. I know it is somewhat daunting idea when you look at the repairs, but I feel that it would be worth it too. The parts of 850 are really easy to find, usually locally, and pretty cheap really. Most of that stuff you listed damaged is not that costly, probably the hood is the costliest. I agree that the 97 850 is also a superior model, and one of the disappearing pre-Ford swedes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I paid for and picked up the 2011 XC70 today.. drove it home and am so sad... doesn't handle at all like the 850 - feels sluggish, and the added height makes it feel unstable. Aside from the fuel economy apparently being worse (bigger car, more weight, larger engine) it's going to cost me a ton to pay insurance on compared to the 1997 850 So I'm glad to have these comments... maybe I will tell the insurance company I want to keep the car and fix it. I was hoping to join the 300 K club, if not 500... Once it's fixed, I can decide which I prefer, and if all goes well I should be able to unload the 2011 XC70 since its under the 8 year 100,000 mile certified plan.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can I count on this community to help find the resources of where and how to get the parts I will need? I'm not a "do it yourself" kind of guy, but I have a good mechanic and hopefully can find someone to do the body restoration...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts