SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<BR>I've been having trouble with my car not starting for some time now. (It's a Volvo 244 GL, 1985). I just got a tune up and was suprised that after a few days the problems continued happening. At times the car even stops running while I'm driving it.<P>My mechanic (who I totally trust) is convinced it's the Mass air flow valve. He noticed that the car was running rich also. <P>What I'm wondering is this: do I have to replace this part with a Volvo Mass air flow sensor, or can I use a more generic aftermarket part? They said only a Volvo part will work, but other people have told me that this is almost certainly not true.<P>Please advise!<BR>Thanks,<BR>Chris<BR>

·
Registered
408 Posts
There is a quick way to test to see if the sensor is bad. Start your car and have it idle. Unplug the sensor. If the car has problems idleing pulg it back in and your sensor is OK. If the car runs better with it disconnected the sensor is bad.<P>If you need a new one you can get them at Volvo dealer (most expensive), Volvo parts place (cheaper), or I have seen new ones on eBay (cheapest).<P>If you don't need a new one you might try fiddleing with the fuel adjustment since your said it was running rich. I'm not an expert on this because my car is a little different but I do know 200 cars will need a really long allen wrench to do this.<P>

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
If your car won't start, unplug the AMM and try to start the car. If it starts and runs poorly (it should run rough) than the AMM is the problem. Only disconnect and connect the AMM with the engine off. Your car should use the 007 AMM (part number 0 280 212 007, used from '85-'88 w/LH2.0). The price for a new one is probably $150-$300 depending on where you get it. Used ones can be bought on ebay for $10-$40, but make sure the seller says that the AMM has been tested and is known to work before you buy.<P>Good luck.<P>

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The car actually got to the point where it wouldn't run. It stopped while I was driving and it wouldn't start again. I pretty much flooded the engine, because when a mechanic pulled the plugs out they were covered in gas. <P>They got the car running and it idled fine. They unplugged the AMM and it idled poorly again. WHen the plugged it back in the idle went back to normal.<P>So does this mean for sure that the AMM is OK? Or might it be an intermittent problem with the AMM? Could there be another problem which is causing this, like the fuel pump?<P>Is there a Throttle Position Sensor which could cause this problem? <P>And finally, if the AMM is the culprit, does it hurt to put an aftermarket part in, or must I use a Volvo part?<P>Thanks again,<BR>Chris<BR><p>[This message has been edited by Chris (edited 03-15-2001).]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AMM didn't fix it. Turns out it was the Fuel Pressure regulator. Runs great now.<P>Chris<BR>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts