SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Originally asked in XC60 but want to ask in this forum too since you have the same sound system as XC60 and quite frankly this forum is much more active then XC60.

I had a 2002 Chevy Impala with volume compensation, and when it was set on medium, it was noticeable and worked outstandingly. I recall the interior noise was about the same as my XC60 when driving, and the compensation was perfectly matched at medium to keep the sound level consistent from a stop to 60 mph.

The volvo's seems to not work at all, period. absolutely no change in volume even when set to high, i have to turn the sound up when driving even at 30 mph, then turn it down again when stopping.

Is mine not working? Please let me know if and how well yours is working.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Originally asked in XC60 but want to ask in this forum too since you have the same sound system as XC60 and quite frankly this forum is much more active then XC60.

I had a 2002 Chevy Impala with volume compensation, and when it was set on medium, it was noticeable and worked outstandingly. I recall the interior noise was about the same as my XC60 when driving, and the compensation was perfectly matched at medium to keep the sound level consistent from a stop to 60 mph.

The volvo's seems to not work at all, period. absolutely no change in volume even when set to high, i have to turn the sound up when driving even at 30 mph, then turn it down again when stopping.

Mine doesn't seem to work on 2013 S60, nor did it ever seem to work on a 2005 XC.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My 2015.5 S80 with premium sound doesn't do anything either. I've tried all settings and can't detect any difference in the volume level at any speed.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Mine doesn't seem to work on 2013 S60, nor did it ever seem to work on a 2005 XC.
More annoyingly, it knows exactly what volume is good for me every time it turns on. And it gets it wrong all the time. My compensation is set to high. Car is '14. Compensation itself seems to work though.

To the OP: I can't believe noise level in Chevy anything could be the same as in S60... Not a brand snob, just from my going from ford to jaguar to Volvo what you say seems incredible.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts

I guess things haven't changed. I complained about this 4 years ago. I have mine set to max comp and I barely notice a change. That being said, I don't find myself constantly changing the volume based on speed, possibly due to the quiet cabin, but more so than I have in other brands.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
More annoyingly, it knows exactly what volume is good for me every time it turns on. And it gets it wrong all the time. My compensation is set to high. Car is '14. Compensation itself seems to work though.

To the OP: I can't believe noise level in Chevy anything could be the same as in S60... Not a brand snob, just from my going from ford to jaguar to Volvo what you say seems incredible.
I know, when we bought the 2002 Impala, we were pleasantly surprised by the quiet cabin. Truth be told we loved that car, I hadn't driven a Volvo before or during our ownership of the Impala but it seemed to have some aspects of luxury in the sense that we merely got in and drove, the car took care of the rest, very much so like our XC60.

Interior was very quiet and the volume compensation basically helped to cancel wind noise, which is why medium was perfect. Ultimately we had to trade it in since our kids were getting bigger and a dog or two made it into our family. My wife still laments the loss.

Our Chrysler T&C, that thing does the job of hauling lots of stuff, but its safety rating isn't so good (side curtain air bags cost extra) and its noisy as a subway.

Thanks for the replies so far, I didn't know if this was a systemic issue or not, sounds like it is.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
I also find the compensation to be weak. You may try asking the dealer about it if no one has. Some settings like this and seat heater temperatures can be adjusted at the owner's request when it's hooked up to the computer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
they won't do anything,, The auto volume is useless. Very annoying and Volvo have taken the option to switch it off.. So your stuck with it.. Good job Volvo,,,, Bravo,!, You just destroyed a premium sound system!.. very Arrogant!

·
Registered
98 Posts
The compensation works on my 2012 S60. This is my first car with that feature so can't compare with others, but it is noticable if I listen for it. I keep my volume low so I can enjoy the whooses (love that turbo talk) and road noises as I'm driving so when I get on the freeway I do notice the volume does increase, then decrease as I slow down.

Having owned 3 different 240Z's, I used to shift by ear so just used to listening to what the car was telling me. Just a weird quirk of mine where I keep my music as background noise and enjoy the ride. Maybe this is why I notice the volume changes.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have a 2012 S80 and it kinda sorta works. The Volvo system adjusts the volume by speed. I have mine set to medium and it seems to be louder once I get 50+ mph.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
The compensation works on my 2012 S60. This is my first car with that feature so can't compare with others, but it is noticable if I listen for it. I keep my volume low so I can enjoy the whooses (love that turbo talk) and road noises as I'm driving so when I get on the freeway I do notice the volume does increase, then decrease as I slow down.

Having owned 3 different 240Z's, I used to shift by ear so just used to listening to what the car was telling me. Just a weird quirk of mine where I keep my music as background noise and enjoy the ride. Maybe this is why I notice the volume changes.
+1
I had compensation set on high from the very beginning and never had an issue. It seems to compensate just fine. I don't usually keep the volume up too high.
I thing I noticed though is when you first start the car and if you want to turn the volume down it actually goes up before it starts going down. You got to give it a few seconds to find its bearings before playing with the volume otherwise you have to deal with it blaring out as you keep turning it down.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I thing I noticed though is when you first start the car and if you want to turn the volume down it actually goes up before it starts going down.
Yours too? I thought that was just an issue with the control on mine. Definitely annoying!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts