SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a conversation with Customer Care rep about VOC today. We are at a communication impasse. Your help will be appreciated.

I called about VOC and rep asked which VOC service?
1. Phone app on smartphone;
2. Vehicle SOS button in vehicle, or
3. Roadside assistance button in vehicle.

I said the Phone app for remote start.

The rep was adamant that the VOC app on the phone that communicates to the vehicle did not use cellular and that 3G v. 4G was not relevant. The rep was insistent that the phone app just used pairing to the vehicle.

Yes, I know, one does have to initially pair the VOC app on the phone to the car. That is true. But I stated that the communication between the two was cellular.

The rep kept saying no, no and no. After a long hold for an escalation, I had to hang up for a conference call.

Would someone please set me straight? If not cellular (as there is a second modem for VOC), then what is it? Is the rep confusing models, model years and legacy or new technologies?

The rep had my VIN and model so there is no ambiguity there. BTW, MY16 XC90 uses 3G; 4G became standard with SPA MY17s.

TIA.

All the best from Minnesota USA,
A fine MY16 XC90 T8

A fine MY16 XC90 T8

·
VOC / Connectivity Expert
491 Posts
I had a conversation with Customer Care rep about VOC today. We are at a communication impasse. Your help will be appreciated.

I called about VOC and rep asked which VOC service?
1. Phone app on smartphone;
2. Vehicle SOS button in vehicle, or
3. Roadside assistance button in vehicle.

I said the Phone app for remote start.

The rep was adamant that the VOC app on the phone that communicates to the vehicle did not use cellular and that 3G v. 4G was not relevant. The rep was insistent that the phone app just used pairing to the vehicle.

Yes, I know, one does have to initially pair the VOC app on the phone to the car. That is true. But I stated that the communication between the two was cellular.

The rep kept saying no, no and no. After a long hold for an escalation, I had to hang up for a conference call.

Would someone please set me straight? If not cellular (as there is a second modem for VOC), then what is it? Is the rep confusing models, model years and legacy or new technologies?

The rep had my VIN and model so there is no ambiguity there. BTW, MY16 XC90 uses 3G; 4G became standard with SPA MY17s.

TIA.

A fine MY16 XC90 T8

A fine MY16 XC90 T8
It's cellular. Always has been. Please PM me the name of who you spoke with. They must have been confused or something.....

·
Registered
232 Posts
They told you the secret - once phone is paired, it is using Tam-Tams to communicate with vehicle, on a subsonic frequencies for long reach...

Yes. The rep was strongly confused. Other descriptions are not polite enough to be used here.

(a few decades of work in telecom universe, from analog phone to 4 G, high-speed data in the mix ).

/kleks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts