SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
So we all have lots of wishes here. I only want one thing, when the car is close by, use Bluetooth to talk to the car directly, instead of sloooow cellular link.

And offer more controls over media, climate, over Bluetooth.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
VOC / Connectivity Expert
550 Posts
So we all have lots of wishes here. I only want one thing, when the car is close by, use Bluetooth to talk to the car directly, instead of sloooow cellular link.

And offer more controls over media, climate, over Bluetooth.

I have seen the Bluetooth key in action. It's really quick, quite impressive... But, I would be surprised if that ever came to SPA. It's hardware and software, not just linking to the headunit over Bluetooth.

Your the second person who mentioned "media" as something to control via VOC... Can you elaborate?

·
550 Posts
I am sure with enough time and effort anything is possible but unfortunately I have to say the odds of this kind of thing within SPA is very (near zero) unlikely.
Will switching from the current Sensus to the Android-based infotainment system help developers add new features?
I don't think we have enough information to make that call. I do know that Google published the SDK for Android Automotive (not. Android auto) so I'd imagine that's on their radar.

I haven't seen or heard anything however about a true consumer app store.

That said, again, putting this stuff in context... Giving an ability to have such an "easy" way to control inside vehicle systems seems like a huge risk to the people, brand and tech as a whole. We will just have to wait and see if there are approval processes and 3rd party partners etc.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I would like to be able to start my car with an Echo device. Already available on other brands.

Pretty simple set up with Mercedes Me. All I do is say “Alexa, start my Mercedes” and it asks me for an authentication code and it starts the car.
Sometimes the simple solutions are the best. I didn't even think of it just requiring a verbal passcode. Seems easy enough to implement, and if other manufacturers are already doing that for the US market, then presumably it passes muster.

·
Registered
332 Posts
the passenger seat heater auto feature is in the options menu through sensus screen. can set it to come on auto and select high med or low just like the drivers seat. the electric cars will have enhanced features in the app, like how the t8 does over the gas models now(parking climate and energy usage). in vida they recently added parts about "remote service and management system for electric vehicles(rms)" though I only saw that in csc codes, no other info. they did also add csc for polestar application which has me confused. will volvo dealers be servicing polestar cars? is the app getting a new interface with the new infotainment?

·
550 Posts
Sometimes the simple solutions are the best. I didn't even think of it just requiring a verbal passcode. Seems easy enough to implement, and if other manufacturers are already doing that for the US market, then presumably it passes muster.
That’s what we are looking to implement... No ETA or specifics, but definitely something along those lines.

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
I have seen the Bluetooth key in action. It's really quick, quite impressive... But, I would be surprised if that ever came to SPA. It's hardware and software, not just linking to the headunit over Bluetooth.

Your the second person who mentioned "media" as something to control via VOC... Can you elaborate?
I am not even asking for Bluetooth key that controls locks and engine start.
My wish is just on software side. The phone is paired to the car via Bluetooth, the VoC app is authenticated with VoC server. VoC app sends command via Bluetooth to the car to control climate, media, etc.

Media is the radio/spotify or whatever played in speakers. This way, my passengers in rear seats can choose whatever they want, don't need to bother me.
It is convenient to control entertainment via Bluetooth. Also Bluetooth is instant control. it is much faster than talk to VoC server then to the car.

·
550 Posts
I am not even asking for Bluetooth key that controls locks and engine start.
My wish is just on software side. The phone is paired to the car via Bluetooth, the VoC app is authenticated with VoC server. VoC app sends command via Bluetooth to the car to control climate, media, etc.

Media is the radio/spotify or whatever played in speakers. This way, my passengers in rear seats can choose whatever they want, don't need to bother me.
It is convenient to control entertainment via Bluetooth. Also Bluetooth is instant control. it is much faster than talk to VoC server then to the car.
The problem is that there is an assumption that the bluetooth in the head unit can be used for more than just phone calls and media. Again, I know on the surface of things it seem like it would be trivial but unfortunately it isn't. Noted use case though!

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
The problem is that there is an assumption that the bluetooth in the head unit can be used for more than just phone calls and media. Again, I know on the surface of things it seem like it would be trivial but unfortunately it isn't. Noted use case though!
Bluetooth supports different channels called profiles. Even can't do at the same time, songs can be paused when doing other things on Bluetooth. And many people don't play songs on Bluetooth very often.

·
550 Posts
Bluetooth supports different channels called profiles. Even can't do at the same time, songs can be paused when doing other things on Bluetooth. And many people don't play songs on Bluetooth very often.

Let me clarify "an assumption the head unit can do more than just media and phone calls" was a literal statement about SPA, not technical limitation regarding BT.

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
Let me clarify "an assumption the head unit can do more than just media and phone calls" was a literal statement about SPA, not technical limitation regarding BT.
Of course the head unit can control lots of things, as shown on the UI. If it allows input from a paired Bluetooth device, any button can be controlled from cell phone by creating some software.

·
550 Posts
Of course the head unit can control lots of things, as shown on the UI. If it allows input from a paired Bluetooth device, any button can be controlled from cell phone by creating some software.

Again, I agree with what you are saying.

I hope you can understand my point regarding the current status of how these systems are connected and operate today - does not provide - such a functionality despite what may technically be possible. I can tell you with experience that adding this ability would never get to the point of ROI on the expense required. Sorry, wish there was a better answer. :-( More than happy to start a PM if you feel otherwise!

·
Registered
9 Posts
It would be nice to set “safe” spaces in the VOC app. I like having the notifications that my car is unlocked, but it gets annoying when my car is sitting in my garage sending multiple “Your Volvo is unlocked” notifications...

·
Registered
160 Posts
It would be nice to set “safe” spaces in the VOC app. I like having the notifications that my car is unlocked, but it gets annoying when my car is sitting in my garage sending multiple “Your Volvo is unlocked” notifications...
I'll answer this for WhoaVolvo,
"I can tell you with experience that adding this ability would never get to the point of ROI on the expense required."

·
550 Posts
I'll answer this for WhoaVolvo,
"I can tell you with experience that adding this ability would never get to the point of ROI on the expense required."
Would you prefer I just lie to you or tell you what you want to hear and never deliver? Just so I am not taken further out of context, I am referring only to SPA and older. I know nothing official about future vehicle abilities.

·
550 Posts
We're trying to frame out a proof of concept integration with a connected garage door opener company where this kind of logic would be employed. Exactly along the same lines as "We see your at your house and want to remote start, should we open the garage?". Good suggestion!

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
Would you prefer I just lie to you or tell you what you want to hear and never deliver? Just so I am not taken further out of context, I am referring only to SPA and older. I know nothing official about future vehicle abilities.
I am not expecting any new features. Even Sensus update is so little over the past years. I am just saying my wishes... So no big deal.

·
Registered
369 Posts
We're trying to frame out a proof of concept integration with a connected garage door opener company where this kind of logic would be employed. Exactly along the same lines as "We see your at your house and want to remote start, should we open the garage?". Good suggestion!
OTOH, perhaps first consider constructing a broader use of geofencing across the vehicles and VoC, with the ability to tie that to multiple things in one's car (like evolved in my former Tesla over the years.) If it's the direction you wanted to go, you could make it another set of growing features than are only available via VoC and requiring a long-term subscription ;), e.g.

• I already have Homelink to open/close garage doors/gates (I realize it's not the same almost ubiquitous standard around the globe as it is here in the US), but I was able to have my car automatically open that door as I approached on the street before hitting my driveway, and my door would automatically close as I got near the curb while backing-out. Basically, my Homelink setup (via menu, not buttons on the mirror) had an option to tie each door with geofencing to open or close based on the location the vehicle was in -- I first defined the Homelink setup, then positioned my car where I wanted the geofence trigger, and flipped the checkbox one time on the screen for it to be set. From then on, I just opened the garage door manually as I was about to back out of my garage, and the door went down as I got to the end of my driveway; it opened itself while I was beginning to pull in the driveway, and I manually closed it once I had parked. A wonderful use of connecting the technologies together, and a little nicety that I do miss now everyday.
  • Ability to set locations where I want my air suspension to automatically go up or down. E.g. my Mother's driveway is very steep, so I set my former Tesla to automatically raise the suspension as I approached her home. Once I backed-out, it went back to normal setting for that profile.

·
550 Posts
What homelink / smartthings opener are you using?

·
Registered
369 Posts
What homelink / smartthings opener are you using?
I have older Chamberlain/Liftmaster garage door openers that are directly controlled via Homelink by my Volvo, as they were with my Tesla (neither openers have built-in internet connectivity as newer models do.)

Rather than replace both perfectly working openers just to gain internet connectivity, I added a Chamberlain myQ gateway awhile back for $49, connecting those legacy openers to my myQ iPhone App and Apple HomeKit environment. That lets me control the doors remotely as if the openers were newer-gen internet models themselves, notifies me via email/text if the doors are open too long, and later my home automation will automatically close the doors if I didn’t do it first.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts