SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Administrator
55,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to retain or set additional settings within the app such as passenger heated seats with remote start? I saw a thread on GitHub where someone was discussing heated seats.

What are some of the features the Volvo team would like to incorporate into the app?

A recent Hyundai Sonata commercial shows an owner using the app to back her car out of a tight parking spot. The technology is already in Volvo models, what does it take to integrate that sort of feature?

Where does the team see the biggest challenges slowing the integration of new app features: corporate culture, federal regulations or technology?

Do the Recharge models, starting with the XC40, offer a better or more robust platform for VoC app development?

·
Registered
806 Posts
I would very much like for them to incorporate the Google Home functionality that's available in other markets outside the US, and to allow for remote start with that.

I changed the region settings on our Google Home to be able to play around with it at our house, but that's not a sustainable solution.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I would very much like for them to incorporate the Google Home functionality that's available in other markets outside the US, and to allow for remote start with that.

I changed the region settings on our Google Home to be able to play around with it at our house, but that's not a sustainable solution.
The very last thing I would want to see is any correspondence with social media or their ilk, such as a Google product. No matter how much these companies go on about “privacy”, they will do what they can get away with in loading up apps with trackers...fuggedaboudit.

·
VOC / Connectivity Expert
491 Posts

It's definitely planned. If enough demand, possibly re-prioritized. The issue relates to different markets having different standards for security / safety. In the American market, we only have an engine, which requires some level of authentication to activate. In other markets there is an AUX heater which does not have such a requirement. Easier to start with the low hanging fruit then build out something that 1% of one market will use. (as an example..)

·
Registered
806 Posts
The very last thing I would want to see is any correspondence with social media or their ilk, such as a Google product. No matter how much these companies go on about “privacy”, they will do what they can get away with in loading up apps with trackers...fuggedaboudit.
You're already using VoC (presumably), which means you're using it through either Android (Google) or Apple. Adding the existing functionality to Google Home, is just making what you do on your VoC app on your phone, accessible by voice while at home. If you don't have a Google Home, then this is a non-issue for you. Though you could still verbally use VoC through your phone's Google Assistant, if you have Android. I assume the same could be done with Siri on the Apple side of things.

In the winter we use remote start every weekday morning, and when you're trying to get two kids out the door, make coffee, etc., we try to verbally initiate as many tasks as possible. (asking for weather forecast, starting or stopping music, etc.)

·
Registered
806 Posts
It's definitely planned. If enough demand, possibly re-prioritized. The issue relates to different markets having different standards for security / safety. In the American market, we only have an engine, which requires some level of authentication to activate. In other markets there is an AUX heater which does not have such a requirement. Easier to start with the low hanging fruit then build out something that 1% of one market will use. (as an example..)
Is it possible to tie the authentication to the user's voice? I know Google Home already identifies the users voice (if you set that up) so that it presents you with user specific information. Seems that could be tied to VoC too, though I don't know how accurate/secure that is, versus fingerprint and facial recognition that's required for the VoC app now.

·
Registered
157 Posts
To each his own, but personally we value privacy over “enhanced” functionality, and of all the invasive evils existing on the Net, we reckon Apple is the lesser.

·
491 Posts
Is it possible to tie the authentication to the user's voice? I know Google Home already identifies the users voice (if you set that up) so that it presents you with user specific information. Seems that could be tied to VoC too, though I don't know how accurate/secure that is, versus fingerprint and facial recognition that's required for the VoC app now.
Definitely an idea! However, we seem to get enough complaints recently about requiring someone to put security on their own device... Speaking as a non engineer, it’s not trivial to link some of those advanced Google features with current systems. Hopefully in the future, but in the interim there is a tentative idea on how to address it but unfortunately I don’t have any timelines. Sorry. In the next few weeks we will probably post some polls to try and gauge some priorities for the latter part of the year. I encourage you to vote / bring this up!

·
Registered
806 Posts
Definitely an idea! However, we seem to get enough complaints recently about requiring someone to put security on their own device... Speaking as a non engineer, it’s not trivial to link some of those advanced Google features with current systems. Hopefully in the future, but in the interim there is a tentative idea on how to address it but unfortunately I don’t have any timelines. Sorry. In the next few weeks we will probably post some polls to try and gauge some priorities for the latter part of the year. I encourage you to vote / bring this up!
I'll keep an eye out for that.

I agree that implementing the remote start would be an all new hurdle to overcome. But the easy thing would be for them to just open up the existing Google Home/Assistant protocol to the US region. Sure, we couldn't start the car, but you could lock it, check fuel, etc.. I was able to do all of that upon changing the region of my Google Home to be a village in the UK. Would it get much use? Not sure, but at least that would be a 'relatively' easy code change.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Setting the temperature for remote start. Maybe I want it warm in there. Maybe I want it cold. Open the sunroof or the windows.
Valet mode where the car drives up to you in a parking lot.
Push updates from phone to car for Sensus.
Change interior light colors.
Set radio stations.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

·
491 Posts
Setting the temperature for remote start. Maybe I want it warm in there. Maybe I want it cold. Open the sunroof or the windows.
Valet mode where the car drives up to you in a parking lot.
Push updates from phone to car for Sensus.
Change interior light colors.
Set radio stations.

Serious question... How often do you *really* think you would change the light colors and radio stations from the app? It's not easy from a technical point of view (there is literally 100 systems between VOC and some of those functions) but curious on your stance.

Updates to the phone to car? Do you mean like navigation destinations?

Valet mode is a no-go for many reasons outside of VOC on SPA cars (no idea about future cars) and setting the temperature is stuck as it is. 72 is the "ideal" temperature heating and cooling so if you start in the winter it heats, summer it cools. This was more of a simplicity kind of thing since again... by the time you get to your car (before the 15 minutes are up) you are already driving anyway.

Opening windows & sunroof is more technical hassle than it's worth IMHO, but not the first time it's come up.

To level set - VOC and what is available is FAR from a 1:1 parity with the car. It's not like there is some magic API out there to remotely control any BUS in the vehicle. I know it seems like it *should* but honestly, not even Tesla lets you do some of the things people have asked.

·
491 Posts
I'll keep an eye out for that.

I agree that implementing the remote start would be an all new hurdle to overcome. But the easy thing would be for them to just open up the existing Google Home/Assistant protocol to the US region. Sure, we couldn't start the car, but you could lock it, check fuel, etc.. I was able to do all of that upon changing the region of my Google Home to be a village in the UK. Would it get much use? Not sure, but at least that would be a 'relatively' easy code change.
So, I tried the US version. The first thing I tried was to remote start my car. It didn't work and I told Sweden it was broken. Once they said it wasn't available in the US, it turned out to be far more effort to implement / promote & support when I know that everyone's complaint will be how crummy it is you can't remote start. To me, I want products full featured knowing how people will use them. Not launch, false start and get a bad rep.

·
Registered
436 Posts
To level set - VOC and what is available is FAR from a 1:1 parity with the car. It's not like there is some magic API out there to remotely control any BUS in the vehicle. I know it seems like it *should* but honestly, not even Tesla lets you do some of the things people have asked.
I like that! For their next redo Volvo has the Magic API that would allow them to control anything from your phone :) And then someone hacks it and drives off with your car while your inside. Maybe not.

Seriously, thank you for the perspective here. It's always good to remember that adding anything like this comes with a cost so it had better have some payback.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Maybe before opening of windows and sunroof, closing all of them.. especially when there is rain coming.

/kleks

·
Registered
148 Posts
Serious question... How often do you *really* think you would change the light colors and radio stations from the app? It's not easy from a technical point of view (there is literally 100 systems between VOC and some of those functions) but curious on your stance.

Valet mode is a no-go for many reasons outside of VOC on SPA cars (no idea about future cars) and setting the temperature is stuck as it is. 72 is the "ideal" temperature heating and cooling so if you start in the winter it heats, summer it cools. This was more of a simplicity kind of thing since again... by the time you get to your car (before the 15 minutes are up) you are already driving anyway.

Opening windows & sunroof is more technical hassle than it's worth IMHO, but not the first time it's come up.

Yeah because changing the lightbulb color on a smart bulb is such a technical impossibility. It would take a day for someone to get that going if they didn't need to reverse engineer anything. I'd change it as much as I change it now. Why even have the option if no one ever changes the lights. List all 100 systems for adjusting the lights or changing the radio.

Sensus and car updates could be pushed through the app. Connect the phone by USB and update can be installed. Same as USB drive. Navigation updates can already be sent to the car.
72* will barely make a dent when the inside of the car is 135* even after 15 minutes. This is a simple 2 hour job.
Key FOBS can roll up and down windows. They've been able to do that for 20 years. Valet mode is already in use. PA should also be updated to include auto lane change but that's for another thread. Nothing I requested is not already possible. Speaking with friends who have very successful careers with autonomous navigation of helicopters for military systems, VR, and AR, they agree it can be done. It's not like I'm saying VOC should be able to wash the car by itself.

·
491 Posts

Yeah because changing the lightbulb color on a smart bulb is such a technical impossibility. It would take a day for someone to get that going if they didn't need to reverse engineer anything. I'd change it as much as I change it now. Why even have the option if no one ever changes the lights. List all 100 systems for adjusting the lights or changing the radio.

Sensus and car updates could be pushed through the app. Connect the phone by USB and update can be installed. Same as USB drive. Navigation updates can already be sent to the car.
72* will barely make a dent when the inside of the car is 135* even after 15 minutes. This is a simple 2 hour job.
Key FOBS can roll up and down windows. They've been able to do that for 20 years. Valet mode is already in use. PA should also be updated to include auto lane change but that's for another thread. Nothing I requested is not already possible. Speaking with friends who have very successful careers with autonomous navigation of helicopters for military systems, VR, and AR, they agree it can be done. It's not like I'm saying VOC should be able to wash the car by itself.

The longest time for a remote start is 15 minutes, 2x, before you need the key to reset. All of the other issues you cited are just beyond the platform in its current state.

I am sure with enough time and effort anything is possible but unfortunately I have to say the odds of this kind of thing within SPA is very (near zero) unlikely.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I agree with a lot of the other things you mentioned, but I have to disagree here. Setting it to 72* when it's 135* in the car doesn't mean the system is blowing 72* air, or that setting it lower is going to give you colder air. Short of fan speed, changing the setting in an auto climate system where the temp differential is that large it's going to crank full a/c to get to 72* as quickly as possible.

·
Administrator
55,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am sure with enough time and effort anything is possible but unfortunately I have to say the odds of this kind of thing within SPA is very (near zero) unlikely.
Will switching from the current Sensus to the Android-based infotainment system help developers add new features?

·
Registered
274 Posts
I would like to be able to start my car with an Echo device. Already available on other brands.

Pretty simple set up with Mercedes Me. All I do is say “Alexa, start my Mercedes” and it asks me for an authentication code and it starts the car.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts