1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
313 Posts
Great too see some actual numbers from an oil analysis. For everyone claiming how much better each oil brand is, no one ever puts out actual analysis findings like this (neither do most oil companies). Thanks for sharing! Might try this my next oil change to compare findings. What interval do you change your oil at? And how many miles on the car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
542 Posts
Are you planning on sending in a sample after running it? I know those tests may vary between vehicles. It would be interesting to see how it fairs.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Are you planning on sending in a sample after running it? I know those tests may vary between vehicles. It would be interesting to see how it fairs.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I see the price of the Motul around $85 for a 6 quart oil change vs. about $27 for Mobil 1 on sale at Walmart. If it makes you feel good spending 3 times as much, that's up to you, but is it going to make the engine last 3 times as long? i.e. 900,000 miles instead of 300,000? Would you even keep it anywhere near that long? I can understand spending that much on a $100K Ferrari, but not on any under $10K car when the cheaper oil is probably 99% as good.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Great too see some actual numbers from an oil analysis. For everyone claiming how much better each oil brand is, no one ever puts out actual analysis findings like this (neither do most oil companies). Thanks for sharing! Might try this my next oil change to compare findings. What interval do you change your oil at? And how many miles on the car?

i just tried it out for fun! Been following BITOG forums for the past year so I had to contribute.

i usually change oil every 4k miles and have 102xxx miles on it now. I got it with 35k on it and the PCV system is original and still working great.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

yup I will be sending in the next few samples and see how it fairs and see how my engines doing.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I see the price of the Motul around $85 for a 6 quart oil change vs. about $27 for Mobil 1 on sale at Walmart. If it makes you feel good spending 3 times as much, that's up to you, but is it going to make the engine last 3 times as long? i.e. 900,000 miles instead of 300,000? Would you even keep it anywhere near that long? I can understand spending that much on a $100K Ferrari, but not on any under $10K car when the cheaper oil is probably 99% as good.

FCPEuro sells this oil so...

at the end of the day there are ton of oil brands out there use what you like and change it regularly, I just like this stuff. I was looking for oil that has a decent moly content and this does the trick. I also dont baby my R like most so I wanted that extra level of protection and I do plan on keeping my R for as long as I can. Motul 5w-40 8100 X-Clean is another great option.

Our Rs tend to run hotter than most. I'm reading 225-235F using my CFE+ module. Mobil1 5w30 is known to thin out easily do some research on BITOG forums. their 0w40 flavor is some great oil though as is Brotella T6 5w40. so many good options out there this is just my pick.

·
3,831 Posts

WRONG! Do some homework :D

·
3,831 Posts
FCPEuro sells this oil so...

at the end of the day there are ton of oil brands out there use what you like and change it regularly, I just like this stuff. I was looking for oil that has a decent moly content and this does the trick. I also dont baby my R like most so I wanted that extra level of protection and I do plan on keeping my R for as long as I can.

Shhhh... I was going to say, I see that FCP drop shipped box in the back!

My R has been running like a Swiss watch since I did that combined with the ceratec.

·
3,831 Posts
Gotta read the fine print :D

Also, I've had my R for 5 years and I drive it hard and it can sit for long periods of time so using motul 300v makes sense.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
466 Posts
I’m no oil expert but am under the impression that racing oils are not the best choice for street cars. They lack anti-corrosion additives and detergents that allow longer change intervals since many race car owners change the oil after every race.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I’m no oil expert but am under the impression that racing oils are not the best choice for street cars. They lack anti-corrosion additives and detergents that allow longer change intervals since many race car owners change the oil after every race.
Motul 300V is perfectly fine for street use. Plenty of UOAs prove this. But it's not something I would run for more than 5k miles. And yes it does have a good amount of anti-wear additives and detergents....

I will be doing a few UOAs with this oil in my car.

again let me reiterate, there are many good oils out there I'm not saying you have to use this one. I'm just showing the data of what I am using.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
I get to use this stuff and return it without having to pay to ship it back . Like 3 miles from my job in Stratford.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I get to use this stuff and return it without having to pay to ship it back . Like 3 miles from my job in Stratford.

a M66 Sonic Blue R and FCP is 3 miles from you. you are living the dream!

·
Registered
229 Posts
I used this last year. I do around 5k per year and it's an awesome oil.
This year I did a blend between this and the 8100 - both 5W40.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
I use this oil and have it tested by black stone. So far so good on my engine with it tests look great. Can't beat FCP lifetime warranty also I have used it for this a few times already :)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts